Hunter question for the noob...

NorthBayKid

I have a friend who was a “Thumrait Thuggy” - a Hunter jock with the Sultan of Oman’s AF back in the day.  I’d love to do him a model of one of their airplanes, but I’m far, far from a Hunter expert.  The single seaters were mostly FGA.Mk.73s.  I assume that’s essentially the same externally as an FGA.Mk.9.  Is that doable from what’s in the Airfix box?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

NBK,

From what I found in my written references, the Omani AF got Hunter FGA73's, which were export versions of the FGA9, in 1975. See the link below to a list of the Hunters, along with their Oman and RAF serials. Scroll down to page 377 for the history of the Omani Hunters.  I hope this helps.

Mike

https://books.google.com/books?id=Ih5Vcy2PZXQC&pg=PA380&lpg=PA380&dq=HUNTER+FGA+73+for+Oman&source=bl&ots=BK8c8p4aUS&sig=ACfU3U0Zh6qnrg7MJ65jtIyDBv-owMGJjA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiSsu-H65jnAhVFgK0KHfmtAy0Q6AEwD3oECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=HUNTER FGA 73 for Oman&f=false

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NorthBayKid said:

The single seaters were mostly FGA.Mk.73s.  I assume that’s essentially the same externally as an FGA.Mk.9.  Is that doable from what’s in the Airfix box?

think you can do a FGA.9 from the F.6 boxing at least, a change leaping out at me is to make the circular cutouts in the flaps if deployed, or scribe them in if raised.

FGA.73s gained inboard Sidewinder hardpoints at some stage, and I dare say other subtle mods. - but all doable from my perspective.

Another noob question:

Hunter GA.11's for the RN were converted F.4s, but photos clearly show them with the wing leading edge dog tooth.  Was that combination of the small bore exhaust (F.4) and the dog tooth wing (F.6) unique to the GA.11?

Basically small bore Hunter F.4s (plentiful and with low hours on them) that went on to see further life were rebuilt by Hawkers and had the wings modified with the leading edge extensions.  These were the T.7s/8s and GA/PR.11s.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NorthBayKid said:

Are those in the Academy kit?

Yes, in the Academy FGA.9 kit and also in the combined Italeri F.6/FGA.9 version. They're not perfect, but not bad. I'm not sure how well the strut will fit because the Airfix pylons are too shallow, so may need a bit tweaking.

Looking at the Airfix F.6, I don’t see any indication that they plan on doing an FGA.9 aside from the drag chute shrouded exhaust. There are no flashed over holes in the wing for either the pylons or the upper surface bulge.

On 1/23/2020 at 4:41 AM, NorthBayKid said:

I have a friend who was a “Thumrait Thuggy” - a Hunter jock with the Sultan of Oman’s AF back in the day.  I’d love to do him a model of one of their airplanes, but I’m far, far from a Hunter expert.  The single seaters were mostly FGA.Mk.73s.  I assume that’s essentially the same externally as an FGA.Mk.9.  Is that doable from what’s in the Airfix box?

SOAF Hunters were (mostly) former Jordanian AF birds and were delivered in the standard grex/green camo with silver undersurfaces. Two former Kuwaiti two seaters flew in KAF desert camo during a short period, before being repainted in the standard SOAF grey camo.

After some interesting camouflage tests in 1979 (one two seater painted in a wrap-around desert camo and a single seater with a non standard, scalloped edge two tone grey scheme) their got a 2 tone grey scheme that followed the original RAF pattern.

Big roundels were used on the first "RAF" scheme, but after 1979 only Omani shields in red, later in blue , were applied on the tails.

During the 1980s Omani Hunters were equipped with Sidewinder rails. 

Interestingly, many shots show them with only the smaller tanks (as found on Airfix F.6 boxing) installed under their wings. Therefore you can use the Airfix boxing, adding the necessary details typical for the FGA.9. The only question is what exact aircraft are you planning to do, as some were recce FR.10s, or were modified, like #825, with a "hybrid" recce nose with side looking cameras only...

HI-DECAL will shortly release a decal sheet covering a.o. SOAF Hunters, one in the very attractive 1979 experimental scalloped edge scheme as well as another bird in standardized scheme, but wearing combat missions from the Dhofar campaign.

greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego
  • Like 2