Heller F86 Sabre.RNoAF.

stevej60

Hi Folk,s.Picked up a Humbrol boxing

Of this kit for a mere £2:99 on Ebay.

As soon as it arrives I.ll pop a few pics

Before starting the seller had a photof the contents and the decals look good.

Hope to maybe add either an Airfix Draken or Heller Thunderjet later on.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 8

welcome along Steve, and nice choice and at a bargain too, how could you go wrong!

Look forward to seeing the photos and scheme. A Thunderjet would be a great and different addition to this gB for sure.

Good luck with the build, always a real pleasure to have you along, and look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 1

Thanks folks,think I'll go for the Thunderjet as it makes a nice partner for the Sabre.Ebay is awash with them at giveaway prices and certain 

boxings also have RNoAF markings not forgetting what a lovely little kit it still is despite it's age.

Edited by stevej60

Nice start Steve, I do say that Norwegian scheme is quite eye catching isn't it! I've got this same kit, however a later boxing with just US and German decals. There's a few issues with the kits wing, so take note of the engraved slat line and wing fence (either one or the other). Like a number of kit manufacturers, the Sabre's Slat vs. 6-3 wing modification was probably not as clear to everyone back then as it is today.

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1

Afternoon folk's,good progress without issues so far.Nice little kit this one not a fan of silver plastic it's hard to judge seams etc but the primer will

throw up any issues.

20200202_115105

• Like 9

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Afternoon folk's,good progress without issues so far.Nice little kit this one not a fan of silver plastic it's hard to judge seams etc but the primer will

throw up any issues.

20200202_115105

A Heller Sabre from the Heller-Humbrol era, and a Matchbox Buckeye box in the background. I feel right at home.

• Like 1

she looks to have gone together nicely, though for me those raised panel lines.........

The Sabre is the one aircraft in that family I haven't built, built a couple of Sabre Dogs and Fury (still have one to build), I really should get one.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2020 at 21:04, trickyrich said:

The Sabre is the one aircraft in that family I haven't built, built a couple of Sabre Dogs and Fury (still have one to build), I really should get one.

Just finished an Airfix D Rich,only £3:99 on e-bay without decals so spurious scheme but for the price................

20191126_133917

• Like 3

Excellent work Steve.

This was by far my favourite Sabre kit from my youth as it had pretty good details and went together nicely, and I liked all the schemes on the decal sheet. I hated painting natural metal on kits back then (usually a tin of whatever silver the local shops had) so the colour of the plastic actually helped me do the Norwegian scheme as I simply didn't paint it!

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent work Steve.

This was by far my favourite Sabre kit from my youth as it had pretty good details and went together nicely, and I liked all the schemes on the decal sheet. I hated painting natural metal on kits back then (usually a tin of whatever silver the local shops had) so the colour of the plastic actually helped me do the Norwegian scheme as I simply didn't paint it!

Yea that's my next decision Craig do I try something different with the finish!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Yea that's my next decision Craig do I try something different with the finish!

Sounds interesting Steve.

I don't know where you find these kits as cheap as you do mate as every time I look on a certain auction site they cost a lot more than £2.99! Or is that just what you tell SWMBO they cost :) .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Sounds interesting Steve.

I don't know where you find these kits as cheap as you do mate as every time I look on a certain auction site they cost a lot more than £2.99! Or is that just what you tell SWMBO they cost :) .

Na she see's the bank statement Craig.heres the thing, I fancied matchbox Helldiver(biplane) for a future GB, prices ran from a tenner to twenty quid way back on about page six theres a mint example hidden away for a fiver so I had a cheeky bid and just won tonight it's all about the luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello steve, this gb is moving quick and trying to move "lou iv" on too ive missed out on this ,you've made a grand job of the old heller kit,top nmf finish

,by the way it wasnt you that snached the 72nd curtis H.75 a  from my grasp  monday night  on the bay ,was it steve , i thought i'd  secured that one for £9.00 delivered 🙄

40 minutes ago, Hewy said:

,by the way it wasnt you that snached the 72nd curtis H.75 a  from my grasp  monday night  on the bay ,was it steve , i thought i'd  secured that one for £9.00 delivered 🙄

I can't see Steve paying £9 for just one kit Glynn! Unless it came with aftermarket goodies :) .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1