SAAB 91 Safir (was 3x) 1/48 - now only SE-CAD

Work on the camo version has continued. Started masking for the dark green using blue tac squids.

S91_73.jpg

Filled in with tape. I'm so out of my elements doing this...

S91_74.jpg

Sprayed the green.

S91_75.jpg

Masking off it looks like this. The model depicts a liaison machine in early/mid '70:s, i.e. only a relatively short time after it was repainted from yellow to camouflage, so this will do for me. This should now be ready for masking the dayglo patches.

S91_76.jpg

S91_77.jpg

I also sprayed a test piece with the same green, just to ensure my white primer wouldn't play havoc when sprayed on top of the camouflage, and to test the possible orange paints I had in stock; Humbrol 192, Revell 25 and 332. Revell 25 sprayed nicely and looked quite OK when dry, and why I even opened 332 I can't say anymore. I didn't expect pink. The 25 year old jar of Humbrol 192 was almost rock solid. It didn't matter much as what little glop a screwdriver managed to scrape from the mess looked very much like Revell 25. So I suppose that will be it; priming with white Alclad primer and Revell 25 on top, just enough of both to cover.

S91_78.jpg

Over to the civil SE-CAD, albeit a complex paintwork it's something I feel much more comfortable with. Here all that will remain light grey is masked. I used Tamiya tape put on a sheet of glass and cut to stripes just under 1 mm wide. Fiddly but doable.

S91_79.jpg

S91_80.jpg

I mixed a red paint to a reasonable match to the decals. As everything is placed at some distance from each other I hope it will work out. I'm using thin lacquer paint for this, the same I use for some car finishes, which will cover quite thin with a reasonable gloss.

S91_81.jpg

After a lot more masking the red was sprayed.

S91_82.jpg

And soon its masked off, except the maskings covering the grey which remain. Next will be a black base for the polished aluminium. I have sprayed some test pieces gloss black and will try adding two different shades of flat and semi gloss black to them, before a coat of Alclad Highly Polished Aluminium. What I'm hoping for is to be able to get two different aluminium finishes for the metal and fabric sections in one go.

S91_83.jpg

• Like 15

After another rapidly vanishing week full of work I found some modelling time again. Actually already yesterday evening I masked the camo version's dayglo patches.

S91_84.jpg

I even sprayed them and masked off. They look good, but did not photograph well at all, at least not against the darker top colours.

S91_85.jpg

S91_86.jpg

My tests for the aluminium on the civil SE-CAD have not been conclusive. I have always ended up with what I think is too large a difference in appearance.

S91_87.jpg

On the other hand there are only two pictures of the real machine that I know of, and the colour photo doesn't really show anything of the fabric covered areas, only that the polished metal appear quite shiny and reflective. Then there is a B/W photo in air where everything looks quite similar and a bit dull.

S91_2.jpg

S91_88.jpg

Perhaps I bother too much. I masked the red areas and have now sprayed a base coat of gloss black enamel. I'll give it all some more thinking while this is drying.

S91_89.jpg

The walkways on the yellow and camo versions have also been masked and sprayed.

S91_90.jpg

These two are now ready for a thin gloss coat before decals. I look forward to do something else than masking (boring) and spraying.

S91_91.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Jörgen,

I guess the B/W film and the angle of the aircraft to the camera tones down the polished fuselage (take a look at the wing, you can still see the reflections of the highly polished surface). I would think the fabric control surfaces were painted most probably in a dull aluminum varnish.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shorty84 said:

I guess the B/W film and the angle of the aircraft to the camera tones down the polished fuselage (take a look at the wing, you can still see the reflections of the highly polished surface). I would think the fabric control surfaces were painted most probably in a dull aluminum varnish.

Yes the wing is indeed quite reflective in that photo. Probably the differences between the surfaces was very notable, but it is my mind that wants to see a more uniform colour and shine. The engineer in me says that the difference must be quite visible, but my aesthetic side try to interfere... Thanks, you have helped sort out my thoughts to some extent.

• Thanks 1

The yellow and camo versions have been given a gloss coat in the morning and should be ready for decals and a little detail painting in a couple of hours.

S91_92.jpg

I need to do masking on the gloss black base on the civil version, but my feeling is that the surface in not yet dry enough. I'm not going to rush it and take the risk of having tape marks in the base coat when it's time for the polished aluminium, so it will be left to cure for longer.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, shortCummins said:

is it me to does the yellow trainer version look like a duck?

Unable to not see the duck now! 😂

Great work Jörgen, love the dayglo on the camouflage model

• Like 1

Great work
Coming along really nicely.

Did you use the MRP paints straight from the bottle as they are? You didn't mix them or lighten them?
I have wondered how those colours would look like straight from the bottle.

The camo colors look quite good as a factory fresh painted a/c.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flarpen said:

Great work
Coming along really nicely.

Did you use the MRP paints straight from the bottle as they are? You didn't mix them or lighten them?
I have wondered how those colours would look like straight from the bottle.

The camo colors look quite good as a factory fresh painted a/c.

Thanks a lot!

Yes, I used the MRP paints straight from the bottles, no mixing or other changes. The yellow went onto white primer and the camo onto medium grey. With the camo version I am really aiming for a quite freshly painted machine, as I want one of those I often saw flying by over our house as a kid in the early '70s,

I found some unexpected time today and have managed some progress. First a good decal session before lunch saw both the yellow and camo versions finished. They also got some slightly darker wash along rudder hinge lines, hatches and locks and are now ready for a flat clear coat. I'll probably mix a small amount of semi gloss into that clear.

S91_94.jpg

S91_95.jpg

After lunch I checked the civil SE-CAD and decided the gloss black base was solid enough for masking.

S91_96.jpg

The fabric/painted areas (as I think they were) were sprayed with a 50/50 mix of Alclad Aluminium and Highly Polished Aluminium. I think it looked just like plain Alclad Aluminium, not that I was surprised. Here we are after unmasking.

S91_97.jpg

S91_98.jpg

Leaving the masking of the black walkways I then sprayed everything with Highly Polished Aluminium. I now have this result, with a difference between the aluminium and painted fabric that might be plausible.

S91_99.jpg

It will now be time to carefully remove all the masking and see what we have underneath...

• Like 8

I squeezed in flat coating the two I had decaled early today.

S91_100.jpg

Then I had to do the nervous unmasking of SE-CAD. Working very slowly and being ready to cut with a fresh blade if needed. But what revealed itself was a pretty nice bird without any apparent nasty surprises. So far so good. Next will be a flat cote of the walkways, then there are the decals...

S91_101.jpg

• Like 14