Tornado question

Ranger626

Can anyone tell me if the dual store adapter that was sometimes carried on Tornado GR.1 belly pylons is the same as the carrier used by F-104G and Harriers?  (those I can source)    If the Tornado dual stores adapters are indeed a different device, is there such a beast in 1/48 scale, either as aftermarket or included in a kit?   I need 4 of them for an Operation Granby Tornado I am preparing to build.    Thanks for any information offered.

I would say not tornado is kinda a scale factor bigger and dare I say it more dense (if you know what I mean( ...assume you are talking about the pylon adapter required to carry say 2 x 500lb bombs as an example.

You need to talk to Selwyn he is probably your best angle ....much that it grieves me but the bombhead trade in the light blue service is a little more expansive than that in the senior service 😂😂

I am sure an ex RAF Armourer will come along and confirm but I am pretty certain they are Twin Store Carriers originally manufactured by ML Aviation and fitted to a number of aircraft types including RAF Tornados, Harriers(?), F104's and Alpha jets.  There maybe some specification detail differences but visually at least they appear the same to me. 

Some potential sources in 1/48 (more or less detailed):

DACO in their F104 upgrade set (Sprue E bottom part) (you can order just part sprues)

Wingman Models

Kinetic Sea Harrier FRS.1 (no K48035) (includes 2)

Old Airfix Tornado Kit GR1/A (either no 09176 (original) or  09177 (Desert Storm version)) had 4 of them included as part of the kit's extensive stores options.

Hope this helps - could get  expensive obtaining 4.

Rich

PS Just found this helpful thread covering the same ground with a few more options for potential sources

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

Interesting that they are in the Sea Harrier kit ...I certainly never saw or used twin carriers for bombs certainly not 1987 onwards on the front line.Doubtless they may well have been trialled in the early days but to be honest start putting a whole heap of 500 or 1000lb on a sea harrier it ain't going to get very far and probably not of the flight deck ....I'd be interested if anyone has pics 😃

12 hours ago, Selwyn said:

They are not the same,  The RAF Tornado used  MACE type lugs on stores, the Harrier ,Bail Type Lugs,  so they would have completely different release units.

Selwyn

So in which case I think the best solution in 1/48 might be to source the relevant TSC parts from an old Airfix 1/48 Tornado kit (i.e. the ones that includes these stores). Judging by photos, mainly of RSAF Tornados carrying 8 x 1000lb, I think these could be a good basis (detailing as required).

These kits have been out of production for some years and unlikely to ever reappear, however second hand examples do still seem to be available - albeit at a price which probably reflects their scarcity rather than quality!  As a bonus they do come with a lot of additional stores options for RAF Tornados including JP233's, 8x1000lb bombs, LGB's, ALARM Missiles etc  etc. They are possibly not up to the quality of the latest (or planned) after-market resin stuff, but it might also mean that somebody has those 4 TSCs you need kicking around unused in their spares box that they might be prepared to part with.

Rich     

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1