1/72 - Boeing P-8 Poseidon by Big Planes Kits (BPK) with Air-Graphics - released

Homebee

Honestly, you are a master of critique quickly followed by buying the kit regardless! Thinking of the conversations regarding the Border Models Lancaster...

Thank you for your commitment to the cause Jason! 😀

Alan

EDIT: While we're here, does anyone know if BPK are planning to release a B737 Max?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

Honestly, you are a master of critique quickly followed by buying the kit regardless! Thinking of the conversations regarding the Border Models Lancaster...

Thank you for your commitment to the cause Jason! 😀

Alan

You're welcome! I think people misconstrued my statements about the bomb bay. I like the P-8 - I think it's an interesting and attractive design, and no doubt an effective warplane. And I am interested to see how BPK represent the bomb bay, and indeed the detail in general. I have no idea when I shall receive the kit, however. 

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 2

I've got mine in hand.  Shipping was interesting, as it sat in Kiev for about three weeks before popping up as having left.  They are now available through Sprue Brothers, and if I were buying another one I'd try them first.

Forward fuselage is split R/L, aft is split R/L/bottom.  No bomb bay internals.  If I'm reading the instructions right, this kit can be built with gear up or down.  Overall, it looks like a decent level of detail, but I'd have some strips of plastic handy to reinforce the join between the forward and aft fuselage - it's a butt join, and I suspect will have some issues.  Cockpit is surprisingly detailed, considering that you won't see much when it's closed up.  Nothing aft of the cockpit, though.  Comes with 4 Harpoons.  Markings for one RAAF aircraft and one VX-1 bird.  Pity...I'd have preferred a VX-20 aircraft, but I'm sure there will be aftermarket decals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Too bad about the lack of the bomb bay (I know, 'But I thought you didn't like the bomb bay anyway.'). Maybe someone will come out with an AM kit for the bomb bay, and some ordnance to stick in it. At least it comes with the Harpoons to put on the underwing racks. I ordered mine from Amarket in Ukraine, so no telling when I will receive it. So, no markings for an RAF bird? But, as you say, there will be AM decals coming along.

Regards,

Jason

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, HMSLion said:

Pity...I'd have preferred a VX-20 aircraft, but I'm sure there will be aftermarket decals. 

Furball Aero Design has a forthcoming P-8A (72-011 P-8A Poseidens) sheet that has a VX-20 bird on it.

43 minutes ago, HMSLion said:

I think there was a separate release with the RAF markings.

Air Graphics was repackaging the kit with RAF resin and decals, and I believe the decal sheet will also be available seperately.

Cheers,

Hoops

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Hoops said:

Furball Aero Design has a forthcoming P-8A (72-011 P-8A Poseidens) sheet that has a VX-20 bird on it.

Air Graphics was repackaging the kit with RAF resin and decals, and I believe the decal sheet will also be available seperately.

Cheers,

Hoops

https://air-graphics.uk/shop/ols/products/air72-022-boeing-p-8a-poseidon-mra1-in-raf-service

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2022 at 3:14 PM, Britman said:

Trust us to buy this capable aircraft without the ability to sling anything lethal under the wings.

In proper MoD parlance that is called 'build for, not with'.   
Same with the Type 26s - the AA systems & other bits will be lifted over from older ships. 
It's a time-honoured tradition - after all, the AN/APS-20 sets from the AEW.1 Skyraiders were consequently used in the Gannet, and then transplanted onto the Shack.  Talk about optimising the ROI on your procurements!

/here endeth the OT history bit.

• Like 1

Air Graphics and Drawdecals both do separate sheets of markings for RAF P-8's. Air Graphics retail about £17.50, not sure about DrawDecals though.

Once I get a couple of part finished kits off the bench this will drift to the top of the "to do" pile.

Eng

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2022 at 7:31 PM, Learstang said:

Too bad about the lack of the bomb bay. Maybe someone will come out with an AM kit for the bomb bay, and some ordnance to stick in it.

That's quite an oversight! 😩 considering it's probably one of the USPs that you'd want to display on such a subject 🤔

I've ended up getting the 737-800 instead, at least it'll look nice on the desk at work. Just need to find some Boeing house colours decals for it now...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I am a retired Boeing employee and I worked on the P-8A Poseidon program for 11 years until I retired in 2021. It's a fascinating aircraft and several things I want to clear up about it. 

1. This aircraft is a multi-task platform. Meaning it's more than just a hunter-killer submarine attack aircraft. It's actually more about its surveillance capability first and foremost and its sensor suite is one of the leading-edge packages you can get on a single platform today. Speaking of the platform, the P-8A is based on the 737-800 and has almost triple the number of electrical wirings you normally see on the Commerical version. The program for Boeing and our customers has been a benchmark for efficiency and excellence and has come in less than the projected cost which is rare for a large multi-billion-dollar program. As a result, for our Aussie customers, they ended up purchasing more aircraft.

Ha! Apologies for babbling off about things here! The weapons bay was not designed for carrying a huge payload. But it can carry plenty of ariel torpedoes and yes has 6 (Should have said 4 here as this is the correct number) wing stations that can carry the latest harpoon missiles and other things. The Multi-platform aspect is anti-surface attack, surveillance and search and rescue and others that have been in development at the time I retired. One of the fondest moments was when I saw the harpoon target net the Navy brought to us showing where the test harpoon struck. It was just like 10 to 15 inches off the bullseye. :) 

I hope to get one of these kits for my display case someday :) 

Regards,

Brandon Sutherland

Edited by Brandon_Sutherland
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

No promises here, but to anyone interested in a bomb/weapons bay...

Could you provide photos and/or basic dimensions?  I'm not amazing at 3D modeling, but it looks simple enough in general.  I'm thinking I could draw something up in Fusion 360 and the .stl file could be shared for 3D printing.

The outer door/panel dimensions I would take from the kit.  But I could use things like the depth of the bay, length of the out flat parts, etc.  And details to try and draw in rivet patterns, etc. 

And before I get any hopes up, many of my projects falter after accounting or work, kids, life.  But there's a chance.  

Saw or heard a rumour that Reskit may do a weapons bay for this, but for the life of me now cannot find the info to back this up.

Fingers crossed this may come to fruition.

Eng

16 hours ago, eng said:

Saw or heard a rumour that Reskit may do a weapons bay for this, but for the life of me now cannot find the info to back this up.

I thought it was Black Dog.

NIls

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Boeing P-8 Poseidon by Big Planes Kits (BPK) with Air-Graphics - released

Announced by Air-Graphics as preordable and limited run sets

Source: https://www.facebook.com/airgraphicmodels/posts/pfbid02UTobdL3LWuypB36EwMQ4T6zxGBRTzj5Hwmcvw55mR5VEZaPYtydD3jZbmeUdpMppl

- ref. AC-515 - Boeing P-8 Poseidon Bomb Bay

- ref. AC-522 - Boeing P-8 Poseidon and Wedgetail Fuselage jointing sleeves

364658219-789472993049512-37343911415320 358112598-789472989716179-29563052979107

V.P.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...