Warplanes of the Second World War

72modeler

While looking for some decent photos of DXXI props for @AltcarBoB, I found this photo collection from the Harold A. Skaarup book; it has excellent color photos of aircraft preserved in Finland; although all eras are represented, the majority are from WW2, so I posted it here. I think the Hurricane, Blenheim, and Brewster 239 will be of interest to modelers. @antti and @Antti_K  are fortunate to live in a country that has  so many historic aircraft to view! Doing a Finnish Hurri using the new Arma Hobby kit and SBS decals is getting harder and harder to resist, as is the Brewster! Enjoy!

Mike

http://silverhawkauthor.com/warplanes-of-the-second-world-war-preserved-in-finland_587.html

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 6

Excellent photos Mike! Thank you for sharing🙂

Now I have a few more good photos for my Hasegawa 1/32 scale Storch project. I knew the guy who owned and operated this Storch (OH-FSA). He carried mail and food for the people living in the SW archipelago. Sometimes he also carried children to the school and back home again! It is easy when you need less space than helicopters do. Storch's home base was at Genböle. On the back yard of the village grocery shop to be more precise!

Two weeks ago I spent two days at the Air Force Museum studying mainly three aircraft : Il-28R for my on-going project, MiG-21 F-13 and SAAB Safir for soon-to-start projects. I couldn't resist to make few colour comparisons on the Hurricane while there... Here is the colour chart of the well known "RAF Museum Book" against the original paint. The second oldest Mk. I in the World. After a professional conservation the colour matches the colour chart better than a digital photo can show. I remember looking at the Hurricane some 30+ years ago and wondering why the Dark Green looked silvery grey and not green at all.

spacer.png

Another finding shows that the Finnish Olive Green now looks slightly darker and a bit more brownish than NCS S7010-G70Y which I found earlier on other aircraft at Vesivehmaa. It also looks like the original British paint gave a thick layer that peeled off easily. This is clearly visible around rivets especially on the port wing.

Cheers,

Antti

Edited by Antti_K
HC-452 is of course Mk. I; not Mk. II as I originally stated.
  • Thanks 1

Great link Mike, cheers. I would love to visit the museums in Finland, especially to see the Hurricane and Blenheim,...... but they are all amazing.