British Universal Bomb Carriers 101

Crimea River

Good day all.

I'm in need of some basic information on the types of UBCs carried on British planes in WW2. I'm modelling Mosquito "Hairless Joe" over in the WIP threads and have run into a situation where the kit-supplied UBCs are very rudimentary and in dire need of upgrading. I have found another set on my Revell B. IV that look a lot beefier but that have much more detail. The two look quite different and it makes me wonder how "universal" these things really were, or are Tamiya and Revell just winging it a bit. Here's a pic, Tamiya at bottom, Revell at top:

spacer.png

What I really need is if someone could post some good pictures or steer me to a reference that describes these things in detail. I'm a decent scratch builder and want to make them look correct for my model. I want to have the model fitted out to carry the 500 pound bombs but will not install the bombs so the details on the two UBCs will be visible and important. The only pictures that I've been able to find on the net are a few at Spitfirespares.com, with one example below:

spacer.png

I also know there were several Marks of UBCs and am not sure which one(s) would be correct for my late 1944 model. Dimensioned drawings would be ideal. Can anyone help?

Andy

EDIT: I also have this on file, which seems to show the installation that I need. There seem to be some plates riveted to the longitudinal frame of the UBC making it look wider like the Revell one.

spacer.png

Edited by Crimea River

Just a question slightly unrelated.

What is the significance of  the "101."

You see lots of references to this "101"  for some reason.  its presumably a North American thing.  Could anyone out there  inform  us  in the rest of the world what this actually means? 

Selwyn

College and university courses the USA use numbers to indicate different levels. You will see "Chemistry 101", Chemistry 102", etc. to show this. And, yes, other courses(history, English Lit., etc.) are shown this way.

Joe

Finn, thank-you for those. I'll need to go through the first link in more detail. Seems I can't save the pics and they're rather small. The second link is one that I've seen before and I gave it a pass since it's a US document. The little boxes fore and aft of the stabilizers are in a different position than on the British one I've seen:

spacer.png 

Selwyn, the "101" is commonly used in slang. I think it stems from post-secondary school course numbers and would indicate the most basic course in a program, e.g. "Math 101", "Physics 101", etc.....

EDIT: Like Joe said.

Edited by Crimea River

From the IWM:

large_CH_006273_1.jpg?_ga=2.63075942.817

Original wartime caption: [Picture issued 1942] The filled container ready to be attached to its carrier.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.121338305.8173692

Loading 250 lb bombs aboard a Handley Page Harrow bomber of 115 Squadron, Royal Air Force, at RAF Marham.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.129882565.8173692

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.100454743.8173692

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.134903352.8173692

CH_010903_1.jpg?_ga=2.55359202.817369258

Two 500 lb. bombs which were delivered to Berlin last night.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.129274309.8173692

Chris

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Just a question slightly unrelated.

What is the significance of  the "101."

You see lots of references to this "101"  for some reason.  its presumably a North American thing.  Could anyone out there  inform  us  in the rest of the world what this actually means? 

Selwyn

101 means a basic intro to that subject at the undergrad level.