Tarangus Saab viggen 1:72

SoftScience

Hello, 

I'm very excited about this GB. When I visited Copenhagen last summer, I stopped at a wonderful hobby shop called Stoppel Hobby. It was a pretty amazing place, just like the rest of Denmark. 
While there, I wanted to get something Nordic, so I picked up the Saab Viggen, by Tarangus. 

1164560-11991-87-720.jpg

I kept putting the project off because I was trying to figure out the best way to paint the splinter camouflage, but a few days ago I found that DNModels produces a masking set. I typically forego products like this, but I think for this one, I'll treat myself. 

1076564-16079-97-720.jpg

So stay tuned for this project to begin in a few days. I just need to finish rebuilding my work area, first

• Like 14

welcome along with one of everyone favourites....a Viggen!

I'm very interested to see how the 1/72nd version of this model build, the 1/48th.....well let's just says it's an "interesting" build.........I don't want to put anyone off! :D

I used the 1/48th masks for when I built mine. They don't give you any help or guide on how to do the masking at all. I went from light to dark which is the normal way to do camp schemes, but boy it's hard work! From that experience I would be tempted the next time to go the opposite, from dark to light. It sounds odd but as you lay down the masks and paint it all makes sense. I used this method many years ago on my "Splinter MiG-21".

Whichever way you go, just ensure the paint you use is super thin, else you'll get ridges on the edges of the masks. Mr. Paint Lacquers have a nice range of colours for the Viggen, it's super thin paint (airbrush only) and just gives you an amazing finish.

Good luck with the build, the paint job will be a wee challenge but so worth it in the end, I really look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

Here's mine done with Mr. Paints 

IMG_2948-L.jpg

• Like 9

I’ve lost count how many Viggens we’ve now got on here already, although I’m sure no ones complaining as it’s such a great aircraft. It’ll also be good to see this 1/72 version with masks being built and a nice plug for Stoppel Hobbies which appears to be a must do shop visit for anyone visiting Denmark. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And I finally got started tonight. I finished rebuilding the craft room over the weekend (see my thread in the Stuka GB fir details) and had a happy evening at the work bench.

I'm afraid I didn't do much, but I did glue together the five part ejection seat. My example had a blemish on the seat, which I glazed over. I took the opportunity to build up the cushion a bit, as it seemed narrow.

Now I need to find some good photos of the real seat to see how the harnasses and belts were arranged. I'll be scratchbuilding some from wine bottle foil.

IMG-20200127-223757771-HDR.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Christer A said:

Very nice seat!
Don't forget the VERY prominent safety handle on the head box now :)

Yes - was about to say the same thing :) Not sure if comes with the kit - but should be easy enough to make from a wire.

Good looking seat!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, an update!

I have finished out the cockpit. It was a slog as I had no motivation at all to do it. It's funny, the cockpit used to be my favorite part of the build, now it's like give me a good instrument decal and let's go! 

So this one is a little half-assed, but it's good enough for me.

IMG-20200214-075902969-HDR.jpg

IMG-20200214-080253938-HDR.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I have been so slow with this.

I got the forward fuselage halves together, and I'm not feeling overly inspired.

I simply could not find a way to get these to fit well.

Yuck!

IMG-20200223-150858198-HDR.jpg

The other side is a touch better, but not much. I tried reinforcing the joints from behind to make them less flexible for filling, but we'll see what happens.

IMG-20200223-150903996.jpg

• Like 3