Trumpeter Plus Pontos 1/200 HMS Hood

The Trumpeter kit is good and the Pontos Detail Up set is fantastic. Combine both and you have a 1/200 model of HMS Hood that is BIG - over 50 inches long. I know, I still have to add the rigging but, being that is not my favourite aspect of the build, it will have to wait until I'm in the mood.

nCUf63i.jpg

56mSeHT.jpg

72BRkTz.jpg

3ZvdU8p.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

If you look closely at the attached photo taken on her way to rendezvous with the Bismarck , you can see the roundel on the forward turret. Presumably, it was a recognition feature for aircraft just like the Germans were prone to painting swastikas on the decks fore and aft. The attached illustration from the Hood Association website also shows the roundel. The same website, to which I referred to continuously during my build, indicates that the blast bags were, at that time, grey.

PI3snuj.png

vAWN8h5.jpg

• Like 2

Gidday Grizly, very nicely done, but way out of my league. Like Stealthman above, I never knew about the roundel on "A" turret. And as I wish to do a 'Hood May 1941' in the future it's tips like this that are handy to know. Thanks. Regards, Jeff.

Not sure if the roundel is two-toned, but it was definitely present with a small 'line' running over the rangefinder hood. It seems to be more towards blue than red from these images (I went for full blue in the end). Some artistic license allowed 😉

See: http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/tips/hoodpaint.htm

forwardt.jpg

ap507c4.jpg

Edited by foeth

On some pics in 1940 it's not present, so it's well possible the roundel was re-added? On some pics the roundel is very dark, others not so much (pic below does not show the roundel but the line that is present in the previous pics)

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=Photographs ON BOARD A WARSHIP. 1940, ON BOARD THE BRITISH BATTLECRUISER HMS HOOD.. © IWM (A 177) IWM Non Commercial License

Edited by foeth