Ju87K Japanese Stuka

Marklo

Having recently done a conversion of the Airfix 1/72 kit to an A I thought I'd go again for the group build only in 1/48.

Sounds extremely exotic but basically the German government sold two JU87 A-1s to the Japanese for evaluation. I'm building the Special Hobby (I think ) kit which will be more or less oob in three colour splinter camoflauge but with hinamarus (which I ordered from ebay today)

49395567258_574a300dc1_z.jpg

the kit, has a nice resin interior and a vac formed canopy. Not too shabby.

49423906738_9cda928b9f.jpg

My main reference.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 10

I did not know such an animal had existed!

Should be nice!

JR.

• 4 weeks later...

Good luck with the build. It's a full on experience this semi kit.  I will be interested to hear how you get on with it. You need to look up images of the cockpit area and the partition behind the pilot's seat to get it looking some what correct.  Check out my build there is some good images in there of the rear gun setup. 

49618002861_784e96fdcc_c.jpg

A coat of rlm 02, bit of dry brushing, some AK winter grime, not too bad.

49618230126_5c99e17bd6_c.jpg

Ready to zip up the fuselage, resin parts needed a bit of filing ( remembered to wear a mask), but done now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was going to use the kits vac formed canopy but masking didn’t go well and I managed to cut through the front section.

49746678052_9f89fb847d_c.jpg

So plan B make a mold from the vac and make my own and plan C make my old mold are now in action. Perspective is a funny thing both moulds are the same length but the photo makes the wooden one look longer.

Of course the milliput stuck to the kit canopy and it is now in pieces so no going back now. That said I plunge molded a 1/72 version for my prior build so this is just more of the same. 

Probably  won’t make the GB deadline now but will plug on regardless.

Edited by Marklo
  • Sad 1

Yes, masking the canopy is a bit of a nightmare.  I only managed it because I had two replacement canopies because  the original had gone yellow. 

Strangely enough this was an advantage to me. Although it was yellow it also was a lot harder. This allowed me to cut out the masks on it and transfer them to

The new softer canopy.  

49757686232_bf767e5583_c.jpg

49757686252_fb2fde01ee_c.jpg

49756826278_a77e61db2a_c.jpg
Got the tail and spats on and some paint time. Primed, preshaded and hellblau 65 on, I’m using Gunze for the blue for the first time, went on pretty well.

Not too worried about the deadline, If it misses it misses,  but I always enjoy this part of the build.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1