Hobbyboss Finnish T-50

Mr Bowcat

Hi Guys,

This is my first GB on Britmodeller, so please let me know if my post is in the wrong format. :)

I had this kit in the stash, it came as part of a job lot that I bought on Ebay for a GB on another forum. I wasn't sure if I would ever get around to it, so this GB was quite handy for me.

There was only ever one T-50 in Finnish service (R-110 "Niki"), captured in 1941 at Äänislinna/Petrozavodskand and used until 25th June 1944 at which point it broke down and was returned to the Centre Armour Repair Facility in Varkaus. Although never used operationally again, it remained on the Finnish Army inventory listing until 1955, and now resides at the Parola Armour Museum. The Finns up-armoured the T-50 with 14mm added to the hull front and turret sides.

The kit itself doesn't seem bad. It's my first Hobbyboss, and other than some annoying EPN's seems to be relatively flash free with crisp details. It comes with some PE, and the only let down is the tracks (more on this later)

49423216738_b1d04fb16e_z.jpg
49423905782_219c03eea4_z.jpg
49423216373_5dfb7296a0_z.jpg
49423216283_988cf329a7_z.jpg
49423216213_be47cb6b90_z.jpg
49423216123_f42bf5d508_z.jpg
49423680601_b766a233c4_z.jpg

I started with the wheels and lower hull. No polycaps with this kit so the wheels were temporarily attached with PVA so the tracks could be shaped. The tracks are individual links with separate guide horns. Although a 1/35 scale, being a relatively small tank in real life the parts are more like working with 1/72. 93 links per side, 4 attachment points per link and separate horns = many boring hours. Having now completed one side (which I did in sections) I have also found that they don't fit around the sprocket particularly well leaving one link in particular with a bit of a gap. Nothing some carefully placed mud won't hide. For the 2nd side, I am just going to do one complete run and fit it around the wheels and sprocket. I think this will be easier.

While waiting for various other bits to dry I also made a start on the upper hull, this was mainly adding some interior parts for the engine grilles and the sponsons.

49423905147_028ea64f76_z.jpg
49423216948_1f7a8245a7_z.jpg

That's it for now, I think I have a few more evenings of tracks to keep me busy before I can get on with gluing the top and bottom of the hull together. :)

Edited by Mr Bowcat
Punctuation
  • Like 13

welcome along to your first GB.

The post is perfect, and what an interesting build you've bought as well, an AFV and a very rare one too!

Nice to see you're off of a good start as well. Those kit tracks can be a real pain at time and seem to take forever!

Good luck with the build, I do hope you enjoy your first GB, they are lots of fun. I look forward to seeing her done in the gallery.

Thanks Rich. :)

I decided to just crack on with the tracks for the other side last night. 93 links and a few hours later.........

49428979012_039bfb2e25_z.jpg

I'm hoping to get these all together tonight and formed around the wheels, then I can get on with some more enjoyable building.

• Like 4

Cheers Col. :)

I pushed on this weekend and have got most of the build done, just a few small bits (grab handles, towing eyes) to add.

I have run into a couple issues with the kit though. First and foremost, the instructions are frequently incorrect and have the wrong part numbers, and in some cases the wrong sprue letters. Easily overcome by visually finding the part, but this always annoys me as a simple cross check before printing could alleviate the issue.

The more serious problem was with the PE, in particular the engine grills. Hobbyboss give you these both in plastic and PE and you choose which one to use. It's a relatively complex shape so I used the plastic parts (after sanding off the moulded in details) as a form to get the correct bends. The issue was that the PE parts were too short when formed! After scratching by head for a bit I decided to fit them and fill in the gap as I thought visually it would look better. Although not strictly correct it should look OK under paint.

49449202302_e4eca27fc4_z.jpg
49448970746_8146186f0b_z.jpg

I experienced similar problems with some of the bracing for the sponsons, in particular with the two parts at the very front. One was too short and one too long!

So I'm almost ready to get it into primer, I can then check where I need to correct (or hide) any issues ready for top coat. :)

49449202452_12cffd6e30_z.jpg
49448970886_9aca82d645_z.jpg
49448970641_dfafeb863b_z.jpg

• Like 10

Hi,

Never built one of their tanks, but I have found a few problems with Hobby Boss planes - incorrect numbering for example, and on their P40C they forgot the undercarriage doors. Given that they seem to be aimed at the cheap and quick to build market (I thought) then I am surprised at the individual track links.

It is an interesting choice and looks good so far. I gather it was designed to replace the T26, and, like the T26 now in the Tank Museum at Bovington some were captured by the Finns.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Cheers gents. :)

Pete, my first HobbyBoss kit, probably my last. I believe you are correct, it was designed to replace the T-26 (which in itself was a copy of the Vickers) but due to technical problems only 69 were produced.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Mr Bowcat said:

my first HobbyBoss kit, probably my last.

Given the sheer volume that HB (and Trumpeter, they are basically the same) produce,  it pays to read up on the kit of interest.   Some are very good,  some are not, either in construction, or accuracy.  

I like that early war Russian tri colour scheme.   

I like the Finnish tri colour too, it makes a change to do a hard edge camo, and more challenging too.

I recently built a Finnish StuG iii in the same scheme, which is how I came about getting this kit (it was part of a job lot auction on Ebay). I don't think I would have bought it otherwise.

49453817928_d5ed0bde31_z.jpgIMG_20200114_175113 by Bob Bowcat, on Flickr

• Like 5

Mmmm HB/Trumpeter PE on AFV's can be very hit and miss fit wise. It's safer with both of these manufactures to shape and test fit the PE before removing plastic. That aside it's starting to look nice, keep up the great work.

Plastic buildup tracks, they're never fun, I usually throw them away and go with the Friulmodel metal ones, just as labour intensive.

I considered metal tracks, Masterclub make a set, but I couldn't justify the expense (£25 +shipping) on a kit that effectively cost me £12. :)

Edited by Mr Bowcat
  • Like 1

Morning chaps. :)

The last few days I have been working on painting the camo. Because this is hard edge it's quite a laborious task.

I started by scanning the painting instructions and then printing them out scaled 1:1 with the kit, which was then painted  in the base colour. The shapes that remained the base colour were then cut out one at a time from my reprinted instructions, transferred to masking tape, cut out again and applied to the kit.

49487152442_b3c18e4a9a_z.jpg
49486941661_faf39a6f2b_z.jpg

The 2nd colour was then applied, and the masking process repeated.

49486451823_18acdaa098_z.jpg
49486942161_a838ca8d78_z.jpg

The third colour was then applied, and the masking removed.

49486941996_81d18a218f_z.jpg
49486941886_eb6740cd61_z.jpg

There's a couple of small touch up's required, and I still need to unmask the barrel (the paint was still soft so didn't want to grab the turret and leave finger prints) but once done I will apply a filter to tie everything together, then paint the tools and machine guns.

• Like 13

Morning guys. :)

I pushed on with this over the weekend. Decals applied (only 4 of them) although annoyingly HobbyBoss supply Swastika's rather than the correct Finnish Hakaristi (hook cross). I had 2 of the correct emblems left over from my StuG build so put these on  the turret and the Swastikas on the hull. In retrospect I wish I'd left these off.

Then it was on to the weathering. I decided to give this one quite a battered look (something I've not done before) so went quite heavy with the chipping. This was followed up with a pin wash and some streaking on the turret. There is more streaking to go on the hull, and I have ordered some AK earth deposits to try.

I also got the wheels painted up and glossed ready for weathering.

49515500367_9f693718ab_c.jpg
49514759928_4000b88b31_c.jpg
49515500122_909ec84db1_c.jpg
49515277931_7eeca39e24_c.jpg
49514759673_987ebdcc6e_c.jpg
49514759588_d8330ae9a8_c.jpg

• Like 7