1/48 - Lavochkin La-9 "Fritz" & La-11 "Fang" by Ark Models - La-9 & La-11 released

Homebee

2 hours ago, ABeck said:

very sharp

very deep

very broad

trenches  , do not throw the  Mikromir model away, you get two canopies (at least in the La-11).

Have you seen it in the flesh?

If it looks anything like this, I'll be happy enough:

ARK-La-9-Review-10.jpg

I've got the La-11 on the way and already ordered the La-9. For about £20 each, including UK VAT and postage from Russia, that's very cheap and I can set my expectations low.

Jon

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

I've got the La-11 on the way and already ordered the La-9. For about £20 each, including UK VAT and postage from Russia, that's very cheap and I can set my expectations low.

Jon

My thoughts - and deeds! - exactly 👍

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mike Esposito said:

Hey guys: here in the states looks like EBay is the only option.

Little wary of ordering from Russia.😟

Why? I've done lots of orders from Russia and never had a problem.

John

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Is it me or are the panel lines too deep? 

Also can't believe how cheap the kit is....21USD including shipping from Russia. 

How does it compare to the Mikromir kit in accuracy?

4 hours ago, ABeck said:

very sharp

very deep

very broad

trenches  , do not throw the  Mikromir model away, you get two canopies (at least in the La-11).

Sharp sounds good to me; I don't know why depth would matter, as long as they don't go right through to the other side ;); but after taking a careful look at my La-11 kit, I'd say yes, they could be narrower - maybe a coat of primer will help, but they're certainly not "trenches", to my eye, at least. I don't have the MikroMir kit for comparison of overall quality; however, if two canopies is important, well, the Ark kit also has two identical one-piece canopies.

John

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

I've also ordered mine from Russia. I actually ordered the first in November 2019 and due to Covid it was delayed and I got a refund. I've since re-ordered. I don't worry too much about the risk - if it doesn't arrive, Paypal has me covered.

Jon

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jon Bryon said:

ARK-La-9-Review-10.jpg

Jon

Yes, I have it - and it is a very simple AND good model. But the model will benefit from filling the exagerated lines and rescribing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

I've also ordered mine from Russia. I actually ordered the first in November 2019 and due to Covid it was delayed and I got a refund. I've since re-ordered. I don't worry too much about the risk - if it doesn't arrive, Paypal has me covered.

Jon

I bought it from MBK, around € 16  ( and have no p&p for orders above € 30).

2 hours ago, ABeck said:

quot:........the Ark kit also has two identical one-piece canopies.

That´s what I meant, The Mikromir kit will benfit from that.

Oh - I'm sorry, I misunderstood! Yes, maybe you could use the spare Ark canopy on the MikroMir kit. I doubt whether anyone makes a suitable vacuformed canopy, yet, for either kit. There might be a La-7 canopy with the correct shape, but unfortunately the La-7 canopy had some additional framing not present on the La-9/-11. Assuming the shape to be the same, if the framework situation was reversed, you could add it*, but removing it from a La-7 vac canopy to suit the La-9/-11 would be just about impossible.

John

*Wrong - the La-9/-11 canopy also has a framing detail not present on the La-7, so converting a La-9 vac canopy to suit a La-7 is also practically impossible.

Edited by John Thompson
Correction

The Mikromir kit (I’ve heard) is a direct copy of the Scale Bureau kit. I’ve also read that the guy who designed the Scale Bureau kit had a hand in the design of this kit.  That being said I will be curious to see how the new kit lines up with both—I do love the La-9/11 . 

• 2 weeks later...

My La-11 arrived this morning from Russia.

Positive:

Unbelievably cheap - under 11 Euro (of course I had to pay VAT on top). Delivered to my house for £22, which is still remarkable. Mouldings are very clean and neat. Decals printed by Begemot. Colour markings profiles. 2 identical canopies supplied (not entirely sure why). Quinta interior set was included in mine.

Negative:

I agree with @ABeck: panel lines are wide. They are beautifully moulded, but wide. Similar, I'd say, to an Airfix Spitfire (like the Seafire 17 or PR.19) in 1/48. For the price I can live with it.

I'm very happy with what's in the box, and looking forward to my La-9 (when the seller posts it!)

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jon Bryon said:

My La-11 arrived this morning from Russia.

Positive:

Unbelievably cheap - under 11 Euro (of course I had to pay VAT on top). Delivered to my house for £22, which is still remarkable. Mouldings are very clean and neat. Decals printed by Begemot. Colour markings profiles. 2 identical canopies supplied (not entirely sure why). Quinta interior set was included in mine.

Negative:

I agree with @ABeck: panel lines are wide. They are beautifully moulded, but wide. Similar, I'd say, to an Airfix Spitfire (like the Seafire 17 or PR.19) in 1/48. For the price I can live with it.

I'm very happy with what's in the box, and looking forward to my La-9 (when the seller posts it!)

Jon

Same reaction here - it's a very nice kit. And, just like you, I'm now awaiting delivery of my La-9. I think I said it before - I'd have preferred 1/72, but for well-produced La-9 and La-11 kits, I'm not going to be stubborn about that!  :thumbsup:

John

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 2:10 PM, Mike Esposito said:

I have ordered alot on ebay and from Russia and eastern europe...  had great success and great prices.  Dont worry...

14 hours ago, Homebee said:

One of these is on the way for me...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

Has anyone received their La-9 yet, or had a tracking number? Mine has yet to be posted from Russia and just wondering if the problem is unique to me.

Jon

No, same here - I bought mine from a Russian ebay seller from whom I had previously bought the La-11. If you're not familiar with that process, you usually get status update notifications from ebay for things like order acknowledgment and shipment. I haven't had a shipment notification yet, but I say "usually" because it seems like it doesn't always happen. OTOH, when I saw Homebee's post from Saturday (posts aren't numbered anymore on here?) with the images from Ark's Facebook page showing massive quantities of La-9 kits, I thought maybe Ark had only just got them into stock and hadn't yet had time to distribute them to the actual sellers. So, if I'm right, it may be another week or two before the kits hit the mail to the "end users" like you and me.

John

• Like 3