1/48 - Lavochkin La-9 "Fritz" & La-11 "Fang" by Ark Models - La-9 & La-11 released

Homebee

25 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

I am more excited about this than the Eduard 1/48 P-51D or the Tamiya 1/48 109-G. 

La-9 this is the pinnacle of the evolution of Soviet piston fighters, a fighter with whom the era of propeller fighters in the USSR ended.  Therefore, for those who collect a fighter and do not limit themselves to only one country, this is a very important aircraft for the collection.  In addition, he is very elegant.

To some extent, this is a Soviet rethinking of the Mustang, and I personally would be very interested to see the La-9, Mustang and Sea Fury models nearby.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aardvark said:

La-9 this is the pinnacle of the evolution of Soviet piston fighters, a fighter with whom the era of propeller fighters in the USSR ended.  Therefore, for those who collect a fighter and do not limit themselves to only one country, this is a very important aircraft for the collection.  In addition, he is very elegant.

To some extent, this is a Soviet rethinking of the Mustang, and I personally would be very interested to see the La-9, Mustang and Sea Fury models nearby.

B.R.

Serge

Not to minimize the accomplishments of the Soviet aviation industry, but I will say that I started to attempt a 1/72 La-9 a few years ago by converting a La-7; I discovered that the wings from  an Italeri Allison P-51, adapted to the Eduard La-7 centre section, were almost perfect for the purpose.

La-9-conversion-1.jpg

John

Edited by John Thompson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

Not to minimize the accomplishments of the Soviet aviation industry, but I will say that I started to attempt a 1/72 La-9 a few years ago by converting a La-7; I discovered that the wings from  an Italeri Allison P-51, adapted to the Eduard La-7 centre section, were almost perfect for the purpose.

La-9-conversion-1.jpg

John

For some reason, a quote from the Soviet film adaptation of about the adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson

"The Hound of the Baskervilles (1981 film)" came to my mind:

"- So you will begin to study family portraits and believe in the relocation of souls....he turns out to be Baskerville too!"(с)

😁😁😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aardvark said:

I  have an aviation magazine, with an article about the NZ based plane Zac posted photos of, and a report on flying it IIRC, by Ray Hanna, who said it was a superb aircraft,  better than a Sea Fury (and maybe the Bearcat)  which were the only other things to compare it too!!   

have the Mikro Mir kits... I pulled out the one I was working on, I'd done the wheel well, but stuffed up drilling out the cowl guns.... better sell the other one before the Ark  comes out! 

If they are taking ideas from Scale Bureau,   maybe they will do the Yak -9U kit that SB  did as well ;) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John Thompson said:

So the La-9  the soul of the P-51?

But at least he carries sufficiently detailed knowledge about the design and technical data of the P-51A (b.w. British P-51A! ...Ten British P-51A!) tested in the USSR in 1942!

mustang1-15.jpg

😉😁

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

I  have an aviation magazine, with an article about the NZ based plane Zac posted photos of, and a report on flying it IIRC, by Ray Hanna, who said it was a superb aircraft,  better than a Sea Fury (and maybe the Bearcat)  which were the only other things to compare it too!!   

I reading this article. It is interesting, but it is the opinion of one person.  Training air fights would be more interesting, but I'm afraid no one wants to risk such valuable exhibits in our time, because air combat is G-force , and G-force

can become fatal for these respectable fighters!

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

maybe they will do the Yak -9U kit that SB  did as well

I don't know....late pistone engine Lavochkin fighter

visual like me , she have something technical esthetic as and Yak-9U....but I collect jet fighter in 72nd scale,  

I collect jet fighter in 72nd scale, 

I collect jet fighter in 72nd scale, 

😉😁😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

But at least he carries sufficiently detailed knowledge about the design and technical data of the P-51A (b.w. British P-51A! ...Ten British P-51A!) tested in the USSR in 1942!

B.R.

Serge

The Russians received, reportedly, ten North American Mustang Mk.I aircraft - these pre-date the P-51 designation, which came in with the subsequent 4 x 20mm cannon armed P-51, which was the Mustang Mk.IA in RAF service.  The P-51A, was two variants after the Mustang Mk.I : Mustang Mk.I - no US designation, P-51/Mustang Mk.IA, A-36, then P-51A/Mustang Mk.II in order of production by NAA.  No record of the Russians officially being given any further examples of the early Allison engined Mustangs, other than the ten Mustang Mk.I from British orders.

However, returning to the planned Arkmodels LA-9 I think that I'll be keeping my options open to purchase one when it is released, having seen the Breitling Fighters example flying at Wanaka in NZ during 2004 and it was a most impressive performer.  Hope someone does an aftermarket decal sheet to model the Breitling Fighters example.

49441490303_529a1bc3b9_k.jpgLA-9 Wanaka 2004 by Colin Ford, on Flickr

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

If they are taking ideas from Scale Bureau,   maybe they will do the Yak -9U kit that SB  did as well ;) 

And all metal Yak-9P as well. One of the most elegant piston fighters ever. Amen.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Ray Hanna, who said it was a superb aircraft,  better than a Sea Fury (and maybe the Bearcat)  which were the only other things to compare it too!!   

Indeed he did, and by all accounts it is a terrific hot-rod, though I was always conscious that at the time he was keen to find a buyer for it. The tail-down field of view is pretty dodgy, I gather - one of those aeroplanes in which not just the runway but the whole of the airfield disappears in the round-out. But then Ray always did have a supernatural feel for where the ground was*.

It's a great looking machine though, and a fine performer, and very much worth remembering and celebrating amongst the fascinating field that is the the last-gen piston fighters - Bearcat, Fury monoplane, La-9/11, P-51H, MB-5, CAC CA-15.

*Unlike me. If I can't see something, I don't really like landing on it, which is why I never got on with the Pitts S2. Give me a Stampe... or a Yak.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ColFord said:

The Russians received, reportedly, ten North American Mustang Mk.I aircraft - these pre-date the P-51 designation, which came in with the subsequent 4 x 20mm cannon armed P-51, which was the Mustang Mk.IA in RAF service. 

The book "Americans in Russia" states that at the end of the war, many Mustangs were found in Poland, Czechoslovakia, Germany ... of which about 14 Mustangs of various modifications were restored.  Therefore, later modifications were also not a secret for Soviet designers.

B.w. as minimum two from ten Russian Mustang I survived the war. 

One was in was at the Zhukovsky Academy where he was a textbook for cadets, it was written off in 1946.  The second was in the TsAGI showroom, this one could live to 1950. In 1950, this Mustang I, like the Me-262, Me-163, He-162, P-40, P-39, La-5FN,  probably He-280 & HS-132, was turned over for scrap.

Also two other Mustang I from 10 Russian Mustang I sending for testing on Kalininski Kalinin Front in 1942.  On one flew the Hero of the Soviet Union Vitality Ivanovich Popkov (this is his La-5FN on boxing art Star in 1/48) in spite of the fact that then they flew on LaGG-3 his reviews about the Mustang I were negative, these two Mustangs did not participate in the battles.

But, the aerodynamics of the Mustang were very well evaluated by Soviet designers.

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

Indeed he did, and by all accounts it is a terrific hot-rod, though I was always conscious that at the time he was keen to find a buyer for it.

In total, he did not sell it?

B.R.

Serge 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, oggy4u said:

It seems I read $85 US in this thread .

I think, it is a lot even for "profi complete"  with resin details.

However,   if it will be sold on auction house Sotheby's

with oysters, champagne Don Perignon and Iranian gold caviar, 😁 accompanied by a New York symphony orchestra, then the price may be $ 8500 and high!

😁😁😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy"

Which he was, on occasion.  And yet...

As I have got older and more cautious and seen more people I know end up in fatal accidents I have become much more conservative, not just about my own risk appetite but also in what I can bear to watch. For example, for a long time I have been very twitchy about watching people pull down through the vertical at low level. Seen it go wrong too many times to enjoy it.

But Ray was one of the very very few people whose spatial judgement I had complete confidence in. Some of the most enjoyable flying I've ever seen at close quarters is him just out for a play after the museum had closed and the visitors all gone home, after hours at Duxford in the summers of the mid 80s. Often stuff I would have been anxious about watching anyone else do. But with him you could see the projection of the arcs, the harmony of intentionality and outcome, the spare inches that he allowed which were all that he needed, where others would need tens of feet. 

I have watched and enjoyed many first-rate display pilots, and flown with a fair few, but Ray routinely did things with aeroplanes which left me feeling completely safe and relaxed where no-one else except possibly Bob Hoover could have done.  For both of them, it was what happened when supreme talent met with complete currency and many thousands of hours of  exercise of the unusual and very specific skills of low level aerobatic displays.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, ColFord said:

However, returning to the planned Arkmodels LA-9 I think that I'll be keeping my options open to purchase one when it is released, having seen the Breitling Fighters example flying at Wanaka in NZ during 2004 and it was a most impressive performer.  Hope someone does an aftermarket decal sheet to model the Breitling Fighters example.

49441490303_529a1bc3b9_k.jpgLA-9 Wanaka 2004 by Colin Ford, on Flickr

I wanted to comment on this photo on Flickr, it's a lovely capture! I too am hoping for ZK-LIX decals.

Ray never displayed her in NZ, that responsibility fell to John Lamont. And he was amazing at it. It was a sad day when she left NZ, and an even sadder day when it became apparent Jerry Yagen has no intention to fly her. I'd love to be proven wrong on that point - I think US warbird fans don't know what they're missing.

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 1

Interesting.....La-11 (if believe technical manual) was next differences from La-9:

- seat

with  armrests;

- urinal (sorry,  but what was, it was! 🤗...long range fighter...not everyone can endure so much time!)

in the cockpit;

- other size tyres;

- probably other tail wheel mechanism;

- wing & tail with antifreeze system.

....maybe something else.....

Are this differences have in model?

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

Interesting.....La-11 (if believe technical manual) was next differences from La-9:

- seat

with  armrests;

- urinal (sorry,  but what was, it was! 🤗...long range fighter...not everyone can endure so much time!)

in the cockpit;

- other size tyres;

- probably other tail wheel mechanism;

- wing & tail with antifreeze system.

....maybe something else.....

Are this differences have in model?

B.R.

Serge

Looking closely at the sprue shots in post #10 in this thread, it appears that you may be disappointed on at least a couple of those items. It seems that there are three sprues which make up the two kits. One is apparently shared parts, the other two are fuselage sprues specific to the La-9 or the La-11. Therefore, if I'm right (it happens occasionally, against large odds):

Seat - shared between the two kits, therefore no armrests

Tyres - shared, so no separate set for the La-11

Tailwheel - appears to be separate on one of the dedicated sprues (La-11) and present on the shared sprue (for the La-9), so apparently this detail was included correctly

Wing and tail antifreeze system - was this expandable rubber leading edges? If so, it's missing, since the wings are shared between the two kits, unless there's a fourth sprue which hasn't been shown, having the booted wings for the La-11

Urinal - no sign of it anywhere - how could Ark be so careless??? A Fatal Flaw rears its ugly head, making the kit unbuildable. Some might call this a piddling error, but this lack of attention to detail just p's me off. To get relief, you'll either have to scratch-build one or pressure the aftermarket companies for it - get on it, Eduard! (In Britain, ironically, I believe this type of comment is called "Taking the p*ss".)

Well, unless we go to Nuremberg to look, we'll just have to wait until May to hold the kit in our own hands!

John

Edited by John Thompson
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Wing and tail antifreeze system - was this expandable rubber leading edges?

How I'm understand from technical manual, rubber leading edges was only on tail La-11

rte_la11_010.jpg

, on wing edges

was hot air from

gasoline heater:

rte_la11_038.jpg

But as You understand, gasoline heater & antifreeze wing  system changed design wing inside and ofcource panel line!

Seat - shared between the two kits, therefore no armrests

Nothing difficult but:

419830_24_i_187.jpg

🤗

Urinal - no sign of it anywhere - how could Ark be so careless??? A Fatal Flaw rears its ugly head, making the kit unbuildable. Some might call this a piddling error, but this lack of attention to detail just p's me off. To get relief, you'll either have to scratch-build one or pressure the aftermarket companies for it - get on it, Eduard! (In Britain, ironically, I believe this type of comment is called "Taking the p*ss".)

Figure No.103 on image:

rte_la11_036.jpg

Have a big work for aftermarket manufacture !

Prognosis battle of titanium aftermarket manufacture for this important accessory!!!

😁😁😁

Tyres - shared, so no separate set for the La-11

"The increase in the take-off weight of the aircraft required the strengthening of the chassis and the installation of the main wheels with a diameter of 660x120 mm with pneumatics of high-pressure tires.

rte_la11_011.jpg

The tail wheel shock absorber

rte_la11_016.jpg

was mounted on a link suspension."

Resource image:

http://m.airpages.ru/ru/la11.html

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2