Revell 1/76 Wespe

Hi All

Ah the memories !  I used to love building these things as a kid back in the late 70s.  The bases were/are so cool. I particularly remember being a fan of this one because of the palm tree - something not much seen in the lush green Valleys of South Wales :D

I'm about a 3rd of the way into a big project at the moment (started last September :S) and needed a bit of a break so I picked this little beauty up.  2 sprues, a couple of tracks, a decal sheet only just bigger than a stamp, and an instruction booklet.......There seemed so much more to it when I was 9 years old !

So, I built this last weekend, most of it completed on Saturday.  It's a lovely little kit, nice crisp detail, and pretty good fit; given it's age, I was expecting the opposite and with plenty of flash to clean for more fun.  I even painted it this time :thumbsup:

Anyhoo here's my blast from my past brought into the here and now. I'm tempted to get a few more. I hope you like it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I normally avoid doing figures but really had no choice but to have a go with this kit.

spacer.png

I applied a bit of weathering and overall it turned out a little darker/dirtier than I anticipated.

spacer.png

As usual, from the photos I can see a couple of areas that I can tidy up. Especially with the washes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I hadn't fully appreciated how small these were back then.

spacer.png

Cheers

Gaz

Edited by kiwitrogg
  • Like 19

Like many that grew up in the 70s/80s I have very fond childhood memories of Matchbox kits.

Yes, the bases were icing on the cake back then… and your model really turned out well!

However Matchbox made a historical glitch on this particular release as the Wespe never operated in North Africa.

Must be a Russian palmtree!

• Like 1

Thanks Fellas.

I'm tempted to grab a couple more sometime in the future.  The bonus it they're relatively cheap, and the box size is small enough for Mrs trogg not to notice.

I used to buy a Matchbox or Airfix kit every week from the Post Office right across the road from our house. Pocket money day was Thursday and it was usually spent the same day.  My parents used to tell me that I should save my money but never had (still don't) have the willpower. If my parents were still around I think they'd agree that those kits were the foundation of an interest and a career that's led me to where I am today........and I'm pretty happy with that ! A good investment I reckon  :thumbsup:

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1