4 1/700 Z Class Destroyers

5 hours ago, Bo hermansen said:

How is the book about German naval camuflage, does it have anything about the Narvik campaign?

Both books contain quite a few colour plates on vessels that served in the Narvik Campaign. Both volumes are in my collection and are an excellent source of information.

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/01/2020 at 18:03, Bo hermansen said:

How is the book about German naval camuflage, does it have anything about the Narvik campaign?

'Bo

This they have excellent references on the Narvik Campaign and I’m tossing up to do these four Z Classes with my two Battlecruisers and a Lightcruiser or a Z Plain whiff as someone has released a H Class Battleship in 1/700 along with the two German Carriers from Trumpter.

I have received a PE set but it came with no instructions, any it shouldn’t be a problem as I found another book on the Z Class Destroyers hiding in the bookcase.

I have removed the stairs on the left and also on the bridge (not shown).

B61049B7-D4FC-42B2-B8B7-2C35FF8755BD

• Like 3

Done a little work on two  of my four DKM Z Class Destoryers today. Added the wooden decks on the bridge superstructure, a number of ladders and doors were also added. The forward bridge superstructure is only a dry fit as I will probably start painting them sometime this week.

I have four Z Classes and my intent is to depict the following Destroyers in 1940
Z23
Z24
Z26 
Z   still deciding on the last one

FAF5ED39-22C4-4ED4-AC9A-1AFAAB592B4F

4265D1CB-5D78-4430-81D3-D690CCFBFE1F

D48F541B-8A66-4D87-9DC9-FEF169981897

• Like 4

It’s been a rainy day today and a day I didn’t really won’t want to mix paints today. So I decided to muck around with my 2 of my 4 Z Class Destroyers and after some research I decided to do Z34 which is in a lighter shade of grey.

9F178797-CCA8-44F1-BE35-517E362D57A1

This one is going to be Z38 and the other two Z Destroyers will be would be in some form of camouflage, that I haven’t decided yet as there is too many choices.

BA7F0395-BA9D-4291-9568-CDB797C87482

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 3

Did some more work the Z38 build today, I’m starting to like this camouflage scheme of a dark hull with a dark superstructure and dark bronze green deck. The type of camouflage I would expect for a German Destroyer lurking around a Norwegian fjord, hiding among the Islands in the Baltic Sea, in the North Sea or the Bay Biscay to ambush some unexpected convoy or a gaggle of Ships in Autumn or in Winter and then disappearing into a dark and stormy night to fight another day by her enterprising Destroyer Capt with his crew of buccaneers that all Destoryer crews should be.

BEB65B50-302E-4D4C-8D3A-A04E32BE4CB1

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Some PE from Toms Modelworks has arrived for the two Z class Destroyers, so I’ve been fixing a problems that have arise and I have started on the aft main guns using an aftermarket set from Flyhawk today.

DD6D36A8-7D21-4816-915B-62EAAC2C3D65

5E25CCB3-F933-4E16-9DCD-9B5C28FD9B92

• Like 3

Looks great.

I have now bought the book you postet early, Its a great book, but tell little about what kriegmarine colors they used at Narvik.

could I get you to tell what colorcoats you use for Deck, super structure and hull sides ?

Bo

20 hours ago, Bo hermansen said:

Looks great.

I have now bought the book you postet early, Its a great book, but tell little about what kriegmarine colors they used at Narvik.

could I get you to tell what colorcoats you use for Deck, super structure and hull sides ?

Bo

Hi mate,

I’ve decided to keep these four Z destroyers as a late War, as I would needed more bit and pieces. But with this Covid19 bouncing around and me in Darwin, means my local shop is either in Melbourne or Sydney and I manage to snap a steering rod on my Landrover during the weekend. So I’m tightening the purse atm, plus I have a few stalled builds that to be done and the Nth Australian Dry/ Fire Season is just around the corner. 

So so I hope the following information is of help to you with your builds. Please contact me if you have any other questions, but I’m out at my bush block over the Easter Break and may not be able to reply to your messages.

The decks on the Z Class destroyers were either Dunkelgrau or a Black/ Black Green Dunkelblaugrau, the wooded decks were left as they are

“Z2 Georg Thiele (Type 1934) 1938 - Hellgrau 50 Superstructure 

- Dunkelgrau 51 Hull

- Schwarz

“CAMOUFLAGE AND PAINT SCHEMES
The standard pre-war scheme was dark grey hull, light grey superstructure, dark grey foremast above the funnel, and tactical numbers in white (there was no standard typeface). Funnel cowls were silver or black, with some ships switching from one colour to the other. The eagle and swastika emblem on the front of the bridge was cast bronze. It was removed from most ships at the outbreak of war, but some carried it into 1941 – ships completed after September 1939 were not fitted with it. A metal name plate was fitted at the top of the hull aft close to the propeller guards.
Camouflage patterns made their first appearance during the Norwegian campaign in 1940; see the drawings section for a selection of schemes. Not all the ships were camouflaged but were painted overall light grey or dark grey or in the peacetime scheme; new construction was usually light grey overall. Some ships with camouflage patterns stationed in Norway in 1942–43 used a dark grey wash overall which left the pattern still visible underneath.
The metal decks were either dark grey (Dunkelgrau) or black; camouflage did not extend onto the decks. Wooden bridge decks were unpainted. When not painted, life rafts were khaki in colour. Camouflage patterns were frequently carried over the rafts.
Aircraft Recognition Markings.
Coloured gun mounts:
Yellow – Norwegian operations including April 1940.”

Excerpt from
German Destroyers
Robert Brown
This material may be protected by copyright.

• Like 1

Just catching up on this build, only 4 on the go? :D

I was curious about the wooden decks you fitted a number of updated back, are they from a Pontos set, of from the etch sets you are using? They look very effective!

Greetings from a rainy Canberra 

This is just insane from Flyhawk in 1/700 scale. I’m slowly installing the life rafts racks to the single 5.9in guns today. I’m a little bit under the weather atm, so it’s going to a slow one this week.

42B8E1E2-E662-4752-B176-81703B68FD8C

95539EE2-F73A-4EA7-B4A4-1E257B82C9CA

• Like 1

On 03/04/2020 at 07:17, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Just catching up on this build, only 4 on the go? :D

I was curious about the wooden decks you fitted a number of updated back, are they from a Pontos set, of from the etch sets you are using? They look very effective!

Greetings from a rainy Canberra 

I’m using Artwox Model AW20107 Z class (Z37-39) for these 4 builds.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 12:35 PM, Exkiwiforces said:

but Flyhawk has only supplied only two sets of life raft racks. Oh bugger 

Gidday, can't you make some? All you need is some scrap metal, a welder and an angle grinder. Too easy! 😁 Seriously, it's a shame, because the ones you've done look very good. Regards, Jeff.

On 08/04/2020 at 19:44, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, can't you make some? All you need is some scrap metal, a welder and an angle grinder. Too easy! 😁 Seriously, it's a shame, because the ones you've done look very good. Regards, Jeff.

I could probably do it, but it could take a long time but who knows I might have a crack at building a few life raft racks. One bad thing with Flyhawk is there customer service is crap before Covid19 and atm.

Well I’ve got 4 other RN builds that need to be completed atm and that’s including the 4 Z Classes or the two DKM Battlecruisers as well. But the carrier build is turning into a bloody nightmare as well atm, but I think I’ve solve the wee problems I’ve incounted over the last few days.

• Like 1

Just to let everyone know that this build will be put on hold for the time being, as I wish to complete my two L and J Class Destroyers, my Cruiser, Carrier  and minelayer builds. But it will return soon with two of its bigger aunties as well.