Heller gladiator

rob85

Hi all,

I’ll pop my hat in with this as I can build it while finnish-ing (see what I did there) my b-25 and starting whatever I do start for ‘in the navy’!

firstly I wanted to build this

5CzDNMX.jpg

but I appear to have lost the clear parts (well part) so that’s out the window.... so will start on the below as soon as I get some time.

82jh2IC.jpg

it will be a Finnish version with ski’s in silver and green.

any help is always welcome!

Rob

• Like 13

welcome along Rob, great to see another Gladiator in the build.

It's a shame the wee Fokker couldn't make it, but the Gladiator is a fine replacement.

Good luck with the build, hopefully a smooth build without issues.

• Thanks 1

Hellers Gladiator is a good one and nice to see proper Finnish swastika roundels rather than those ‘plus and minus’ decals than seem to be included in today’s kit boxes. I’ve got two new Airfix Gladiators however will gladly purchase another Heller kit should one come along at a good price. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Hellers Gladiator is a good one and nice to see proper Finnish swastika roundels rather than those ‘plus and minus’ decals than seem to be included in today’s kit boxes. I’ve got two new Airfix Gladiators however will gladly purchase another Heller kit should one come along at a good price. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave

Cheers Dave, I was thinking the same while going over the kit. The detail is actually really nice and there appears to be prep drilled holes for rigging! (I’ve never rigged anything so should be fun)

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

welcome along Rob, great to see another Gladiator in the build.

It's a shame the wee Fokker couldn't make it, but the Gladiator is a fine replacement.

Good luck with the build, hopefully a smooth build without issues.

Yeah I was looking forward to making that one but will just have to wait. It might turn up in a box somewhere who knows. 

Rob

• Like 2

While this may be one of the oldest kits available of the Gladiator it still makes for a nice model. Nice to know your going to rig it as well :D 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Col. said:

While this may be one of the oldest kits available of the Gladiator it still makes for a nice model. Nice to know your going to rig it as well :D 

Well yes.... that’s the plan Col! All subject to status, terms and conditions apply...

Rob

• Like 2

On 1/21/2020 at 10:38 PM, rob85 said:

It will be a Finnish version with ski’s in silver and green.

Be aware that the Heller painting instructions are not very accurate. The aircraft were standard Swedish dark green and light blue, with silver added for the operations in Finland. The pattern differed between the aircraft. There are several good aftermarket decal sheets, e.g. from AML and Kora.

I would especially recommend this book on the subject: https://www.bookdepository.com/Gloster-Gladiator-Hawker-Hart-Mikael-Forslund/9789197767712

Nils

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/24/2020 at 8:04 AM, Vingtor said:

Be aware that the Heller painting instructions are not very accurate. The aircraft were standard Swedish dark green and light blue, with silver added for the operations in Finland. The pattern differed between the aircraft. There are several good aftermarket decal sheets, e.g. from AML and Kora.

I would especially recommend this book on the subject: https://www.bookdepository.com/Gloster-Gladiator-Hawker-Hart-Mikael-Forslund/9789197767712

Nils

Thanks nils, I will have a look. I have however started painting it silver already as forgot about you comment 😬.

qOuxnsT.jpg

jxJow4X.jpg

lQBCfd7.jpg

went together very nicely so far, but if clean up on the seams etc but nothing scary.

Rob

• Like 2

It's nice to see this one underway Rob and I'm really impressed by your 'model holding' tool.  It sure trumps my bit of old sprue and a blob of Blu-tac ;)!

Cheers

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2020 at 8:04 AM, Vingtor said:

Nils

10 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Not a great photo, but it's all I've got.

35975188043_7de3bf0c70_c.jpg

Chris

I see what your saying now! Dark green and the light blue should have been the first colours with the silver over painted.... time for a repaint 

like this guy 
http://users.kymp.net/mode0522/planes/gladiator.html

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gamevender said:

The Heller kit is very nice. Petite and fits very well. I converted one into a Sea Glatiator.

DSCN2424.JPG

She a beaut, lovely work! And a great shot of the rigging, very helpful.

thanks for posting.

Rob

8 hours ago, CliffB said:

It's nice to see this one underway Rob and I'm really impressed by your 'model holding' tool.  It sure trumps my bit of old sprue and a blob of Blu-tac ;)!

Cheers

Missed you there Cliff, @CedB pointed them out at Telford. The company is called sphere I think and they have a lot of handy little things like that, it comes with a stand!

ZosNQFB.jpg

green and light grey blue painted on, blue looks too bright in the pictures but it’s not like that to the naked eye. Few more cotes of green to finish it off.

xyR9tE8.jpgand probably another cote of the grey blue.

zAZ9CRR.jpg

after a second cote on the green and then we shall leave it to dry properly.

tMRzfUx.jpg

cheers

Rob

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Another step forward.

I got two cotes of aluminium on today, well actually the first was ‘steel’ so darker to help with coverage and the second was Tamiya flat aluminium. It will get a third vote to sharpen it up but I’m happy with how it’s going. 

I’ve used the paint guide from a set of Kora decals off the internet.

VaLtoLo.jpg

6AgUKSp.jpg

cheers for stopping by!

Rob

• Like 7

gosh she is coming along nicely, and wow what an interesting scheme!

Do you know why the "silver" was added later?

I do like the holding stand as well, very clever!

• Like 1

gosh she is coming along nicely, and wow what an interesting scheme!

I do like the holding stand as well, very clever!

TBH I haven’t a clue! It was the Swedish volunteers that had this scheme I think?

Rob

• Like 1

Great piece of work with a great kit I remember fondly, in fact the Heller kit was the baseline Gladiator for many years. 

If you've got any more Heller kits you may want to consider the Heller Classic GB later in the year?

It's a good question because it seems counter intuitive doesn't it?  Overpainting camouflage with something that isn't camouflage, my only thought is that it disrupted the hard lines of a camouflaged aircraft against a snowy backdrop especially around lakes?

• Like 1

Just a guess. Ever looked out an aircraft window over a snowy landscape? There's a silver glint to it and at times the ice and snow reflect the sun into a glare. It might look more like an icy/snowy forest from the air with the glare shining through. Maybe?

Edited by gamevender
  • Like 2

Well I have been neglecting updates and using bits of free time to work on this, so this might be picture heavy as it has progressed!

Engine made and put together, I need to paint the tip of the cone yellow from what I can see.

th0vxYZ.jpg

that’s my attempt at a wood effect, bit dark.

then it all got a good gloss cote ready for decals. Also the skis were glued on.

RpgbVT2.jpg

ClZxD4K.jpg

decals on, which were really old! So I was apprehensive as they have just crumbled before, but they behaved really well and settled down with boiling water and pressure from a cotton pad.

QRm3jJI.jpg

also added the top wing

uqS1R8h.jpg

bvwIh6E.jpg

then added the outer struts 

7c6L6s8.jpg

engine still needs a tidy up.

Then rigged the thing, my first ever go and it was nerve wracking, with stretched spruce. Not sure what colour to paint it now.

yMYIB3q.jpg

Kv2Y8MH.jpg

and that’s where we are at, matte cote and adding the last little bits and detail painting and we should be done!

all this while ‘home schooling’ the little ones! Topics were evidently talking to swans (a talent of the little girls it would appear) the history of fortifications through the medium of sand castles and how to climb broken trees (a lot easier that the upright type)

YQcwO2K.jpg

Xclc6fw.jpg

JgOdWKd.jpg

XAGYmwo.jpg

not bad for an hours walk!

Rob

• Like 5

gosh she's come along really well!  Nice job on your first time rigging, you look to have done a fine job, well done!   :thumbsup:  That rigging stuff scares me, Ive tried it and don't like it one bit.

That is such and interesting scheme, i've never seen anything like it, and it's nicely done yet.

Hopefully when this virus thing is all over they give out medals to all those the had to home school wee demon spawn!! I don't know how you do it (lots of alcohol probably helps! :D). I'm lucky, mines left home and is the armies problem now! :rofl2:

• Haha 1

On 4/10/2020 at 12:21 AM, trickyrich said:

gosh she's come along really well!  Nice job on your first time rigging, you look to have done a fine job, well done!   :thumbsup:  That rigging stuff scares me, Ive tried it and don't like it one bit.

That is such and interesting scheme, i've never seen anything like it, and it's nicely done yet.

Hopefully when this virus thing is all over they give out medals to all those the had to home school wee demon spawn!! I don't know how you do it (lots of alcohol probably helps! :D). I'm lucky, mines left home and is the armies problem now! :rofl2:

cheers!

To be fair mine have been amazing but have been keeping me busy! Alcohol has indeed been consumed, but at a level quantity I feel, only a pint a day..... however about halfway through the whiskey really starts to get to your throat.

i really like the scheme and it’s something very different for me! The kids and girlfriend are all over the moon it’s not the “same colour as the rest”!! All my aircraft are different colours! There’s even blue ones, but I’ve told them the next home school lesson is ‘the difference in colours of FAA and RAF aircraft 1939-1945’ I don’t give a monkeys if it’s not ‘on the curriculum’.

On 4/10/2020 at 9:23 AM, Col. said:

All those photos look like good progress to me Rob :) 

Cheers Col, it is indeed progress and below you will see my first complete build of 2020 (the spitfires don’t count because I started them in 2018 or something silly).

so she got her touch ups, I painted the rigging a dark steel and got a matte cote to dull that high gloss and got a little yellow nose!

Her leg is wonky now, not sure how that happened and some bits of the rigging are too but I like her. It’s been a fun build.

KxIg9np.jpg

dvcWWAH.jpg

c00gcZG.jpg

zcGTJZh.jpg

BnYPNiM.jpg

zHtq3AX.jpg

X8U8q6o.jpg

CvNQMe3.jpg

ZbqXQkz.jpg

shes really cute I’m told

Rob

• Like 7