A big hello

Gazmo

A big hello to everyone ,  just returned to modelling after a 30+ year break ,  I needed something to keep me occupied as due to poor health I've had to sell the motorbikes and cant work on them anymore, so my son bought me a 1/35 scale Tamiya  Chieftain kit for Christmas. I loved building these Tamiya kits many years ago along with the Monogram and Italeri kits . I've sourced a used airbrush and for the time being a compressed air canister, better kit will be purchased when funds allow, I look forward to advice and recommendations from the more experienced , the market is so vast now with track options and PE parts its mind boggling , One thing I have noticed is that paints seem to have changed so it looks like I.ve got a new learning curve.

Hello! Welcome back into the fold. I’ve returned to my childhood hobby too. I hope you find this forum useful and helpful and it’s great how things have changed but the basics are always a good start . 

46 minutes ago, Gazmo said:

I look forward to advice and recommendations from the more experienced , the market is so vast now with track options and PE parts its mind boggling , One thing I have noticed is that paints seem to have changed so it looks like I.ve got a new learning curve.

Build on what you knew 'back then' , yes, there are new aspect, materials and techniques, but they only work if you can do the basics!  

There is a bewildering amount of information, and, also a lot of 'trends' and fashion, and fancy new 'must have' products.   

As I keep posting on here to new members, if the methods, materials, tools and techniques used got a result you are happy with, they are the 'right' ones.

A really good thing to do is to post up a Work In Progress build (see @Wince  current build https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235066513-revell-172-hawker-hurricane-mkiic

note wince is rather new here,  but is settling in nicely, and shows what can be got from posting up a WIP thread.

One of the worst things you can do on here is be disparaging, so no-one will put your work down,   the underlying ethos here is "polite, friendly, helpful"  so if you engage and post up what you are doing,  especially as returnee,(we got lots of those)  and ask for feedback, hints, suggestions,  you find the place very useful.  
If your health is not great and you are stuck inside then this a great community,  with an extensive knowledge base,  but is more fun if you get involved.

A hint, the site search doesn't work very well, but if you add 'Britmodeller' into a google search term, it works better, and will allow you to see if your questions has been asked before, as it's good form to have a go at finding out the answer yourself, and can also help refine a questions,  and, as my tag says, "as answering questions you didn't know you needed to ask ".

HTH and welcome 

cheers

T

I agree with @Troy Smith. I lurked here for an age and it took me a while to post up my work. Although I’ve been modelling for 26 years, I’ve not built scale models since I was in my late teens and focussing on wargaming and figure painting. Picking up the scale modelling for the last six months has been exhilarating and scary as when I got into this, no Internet forums. Posting work up on here was nerve wracking especially as the wargaming community can be harsh. But here it is nothing like that and any criticism I’ve had in my short time here has been constructive and positive and it’s been uplifting to up my game. And it’s a great community spirit with a wealth of knowledge on here and that enthusiasm is infectious. In fact it has spurred me to challenge myself, not be afraid to try new things and most importantly, have fun! I’ve been made to feel really welcome and I’m sure you will too. So do get involved as much or as little as you desire. We are all friends here!

Edited by Wince
  • Like 1

Hello Gazmo...:post1: from the windy city of Chicago USA. Im a disabled model builder and I've been building since 1979 with one break from 2005 to 2014. Some great advice has been given already, the only thing I can add is to build only for yourself. Dont build to what you think we would want to see. In the end its a hobby meant to give you relaxation, and thats a recipe for frustration. There are no real mean people here as Troy said, so don't be afraid to post your work. In fact a work in progress would be a good way to get help and advice. Not to mention a good way to meet members into similar genre’s of modeling.

Dennis 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gazmo said:

Thanks for all the words of encouragement, my build is started but going slow, I will update when I have some photos. 👍

You are welcome. I’ve had the ultimate disaster of a kit beyond repair in my thread. But you know what, I’m getting back on my horse and drinking my milk/beer! And it’s all about the learning