This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Andy350

Need some ideas

Can anyone recommend a fighter jet build at 1/48 please, I am not sure what to do next and which manufacturer to pick.  I find picking the right kit a challenge.  Thinking of something from the 60's/70's.  i know this is a vague request.

Airfix Hunter? Easily available, nice kit, plenty of builds online for advice and the best looking aircraft ever made (that last bit might be an opinion...)

best,

M.

7 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Airfix Hunter? Easily available, nice kit, plenty of builds online for advice and the best looking aircraft ever made (that last bit might be an opinion...)

best,

M.

Thanks, that is a lovely looking aircraft. 

Plenty of Phantoms to choose from. The Hasegawa kit, although now dated, is still a very good build with or without all the available extras depending on what you want.

The Phantom is a good choice. Lots of decent kits available these days - Academy, Hasegawa, Zoukei Mura - and lots of variants/schemes to choose from that can be built well out of the box. The Lightning and Hunter mentioned above also make nice choices as would one of the F-14's - Tamiya, AMK, Hobbyboss. I guess being spoilt for choice these days can bring its own problems. 

Thanks all, I was thinking of the F-4 and lightening. Will source one of these. 

13 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

The Phantom is a good choice. Lots of decent kits available these days - Academy, Hasegawa, Zoukei Mura - and lots of variants/schemes to choose from that can be built well out of the box. The Lightning and Hunter mentioned above also make nice choices as would one of the F-14's - Tamiya, AMK, Hobbyboss. I guess being spoilt for choice these days can bring its own problems. 

Do you know if the Italeri 2781 F-4J Phantom II kit is any good?

Edited by Andy350

If you just want a Phantom rather than a specific one, the Revell/Monogram F-4C/D is affordable, available and a really good kit if old... raised detail, but looks very good built up...

best,

M.

8 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Do you know if the Italeri 2781 F-4J Phantom II kit is any good?

I 'think' it might be based on the old ESCI mold which is pretty basic by today's standards. In fact it was pretty basic by the standards of the 1980's when the Monogram model was my kit of choice, especially as the Hasegawa was beyond the reach of my pocket money. Depending on what variant you're interested in (a British or US version?) and what your budget can stretch to I would suggest trying for either the Revell (Hasegawa) FG.1 kit (I've seen some go for under £25) or the Academy F-4B or J.  

7 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

If you just want a Phantom rather than a specific one, the Revell/Monogram F-4C/D is affordable, available and a really good kit if old... raised detail, but looks very good built up...

best,

M.

An oldie but a goodie. Raised as opposed to scribed detail but a nice kit nonetheless. Back in 1987 I converted one of these to an F-4B VF-111 and got a pretty good result. 

22 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

I 'think' it might be based on the old ESCI mold which is pretty basic by today's standards. In fact it was pretty basic by the standards of the 1980's when the Monogram model was my kit of choice, especially as the Hasegawa was beyond the reach of my pocket money. Depending on what variant you're interested in (a British or US version?) and what your budget can stretch to I would suggest trying for either the Revell (Hasegawa) FG.1 kit (I've seen some go for under £25) or the Academy F-4B or J.  

So generally speaking, cheaper kits are cheap because they consist of less details and are probably a dated mold?

21 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

So generally speaking, cheaper kits are cheap because they consist of less details and are probably a dated mold?

Not quite, since I've seen both the Revell (Hasegawa) and Academy Phantoms go for less than the Italeri kits. Age of the kits is generally more of a useful guide than price. This is where the likes of Scalemates.com can be handy for learning the history behind kits and their molds.

1 minute ago, Nocoolname said:

Not quite, since I've seen both the Revell (Hasegawa) and Academy Phantoms go for less than the Italeri kits. Age of the kits is generally more of a useful guide than price. This is where the likes of Scalemates.com can be handy for learning the history behind kits and their molds.

Ah ok thanks, I have looked at this site before and seen the timeline.

This is the Monogram, built completely OOB for a magazine review of the Revell re-release...

i-8pxq37c.jpg

best,

M.

4 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

This is the Monogram, built completely OOB for a magazine review of the Revell re-release...

i-8pxq37c.jpg

best,

M.

Thanks Matthew, I will find an online build sheet and take a look, but looks like a nice build for me.  

I vote for an Academy F-86. I found mine to be a straightforward build. I believe it was reissued by Italeri? 

Trevor 

One thing about the Revellogram kit is that in addition to the Sidewinder and Sparrow AAM and outer wing droptanks it provides a choice of ECM Pods , USAF style Sparrow recess combat camera and centreline gunpod not always included elsewhere.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:13 PM, Andy350 said:

Can anyone recommend a fighter jet build at 1/48 please, I am not sure what to do next and which manufacturer to pick.  I find picking the right kit a challenge.  Thinking of something from the 60's/70's.  i know this is a vague request.

MiG-21 from Eduard?

Mirage III C ???

B.R.

Serge

12 hours ago, Aardvark said:

MiG-21 from Eduard?

Mirage III C ???

B.R.

Serge

I missed out on an eBay MIG-21 SMT by ProfiPACK eduard, it went for 24.50 including postage.  I'm tempted by this F-4 from amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revell-04962-4962-British-Multicolour/dp/B07JMT3B6Z/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=revell+1%2F48+F-4+Phantom+II&qid=1579731575&sr=8-1-fkmr0

46 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

I missed out on an eBay MIG-21 SMT by ProfiPACK eduard, it went for 24.50 including postage.  I'm tempted by this F-4 from amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revell-04962-4962-British-Multicolour/dp/B07JMT3B6Z/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=revell+1%2F48+F-4+Phantom+II&qid=1579731575&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Amazon can often be a good place for 1/48 Revell kits at good prices especially if you have Prime Membership with free shipping.

If you are looking for a MiG-21SMT the Revell kit is the Eduard plastic parts , the Hobby Boss Mirage is also a nice kit with both French and Israeli boxings sharing the same parts but different decal sheets.

@Andy350

In any case, recommended for You in this topic:

- Hunter & Lightning from Airfix;

- MiG-21 from Eduard;

- Mirage III C from Hobby Boss

was a classic jet fighter 60-70 epochs, also models the indicated productions are the best.

F- 4 Phantom also was iconic jet fighter 60-70 epochs, but how many Phantom models there are so many opinions about which Phantom manufacturer is the best! 😁

B.w. You interesting only clear fighter, or interceptor & fighter-bomber, too?

B.R.

Serge

4 hours ago, Aardvark said:

@Andy350

In any case, recommended for You in this topic:

- Hunter & Lightning from Airfix;

- MiG-21 from Eduard;

- Mirage III C from Hobby Boss

was a classic jet fighter 60-70 epochs, also models the indicated productions are the best.

F- 4 Phantom also was iconic jet fighter 60-70 epochs, but how many Phantom models there are so many opinions about which Phantom manufacturer is the best! 😁

B.w. You interesting only clear fighter, or interceptor & fighter-bomber, too?

B.R.

Serge

Hi Serge, I'm not that bothered really. At some point I want to build the 'Buccaneer'. 

I've decided on the mirage III C from Hobby boss.  Then it will be F-4, hunter and lightning. 

Thanks all.