1/72 Swordfish Airfix

Tim K

On my quest to my first Wingnut model I decided to try my hand at the Airfix Swordfish with rigging. My Airbrush is still in storeage so had to be brush painted using Tamya Paints.

Things I've learnt along the way.......

1) BiFocals from spec savers 2.5 and 3.5 times magnification have worked really well

DSC07297

2) I read some where of putting the colour call outs down the side fo the modelling mat.

This prevented a lot of time wasted trying to find the correct colour form either the instructions or the side fo the box.

DSC07292

3) Rigging can be really simplified and predictable! I used a set of drills for the holes, stretched sprue to fix superglue and an accelerator to fix the Uschi item code 4007 0.001O.D. line to the stretched sprue.

DSC07329

Not shown is the 2mm stretched sprue already in the white tack and the Uschi line already cut in 3-4 inch lenghts. One pot is accelerator and the other superglue.

Superglue applied to the tip of the stretched sprue by cocktail stick and the end of the Uschi line brushed on the accelerator and the two brought together with the tweezers, (£22.00 from boots and worth every penny.

Onto the builed

Cockpit first 

DSC07285

Then two fuselage halves brought together... and brush painted

DSC07294

The painting I found soul destroying because much as I tried I couldn't get a smooth deep finish. The fuselage received more coats and was rubbed down with wet and dry but all I seemed to do was remove the the delicate shape of the fabric covered longerons!

Ploughing on to the wings, I eventually did get a good finish but this was crackled by spraying Tamya varnish on from a rattle can! I ploughed on...

The rigging was applied at this stage but my technique mentioned above hadn't been refined at this stage.

With the wing rigged al I needed to do was fit it to the Fuselage.

DSC07306

Calamity, CALAMITY CALAMITY.

The wings didn't fit the body!!! I thought put them in a cooking oven and soften them to bring them back into shape. I tested the oven with a thermometer but that only went up to 50degrees Centigrade - to cool to enable me to bring about any wing warping!!

As I type this I can't help but laugh...

So the gas oven was set at Gas Mark 1/2 Googled that, this would be about 150C decided I would time the wings in the oven by minutes.

Got my phone to do the timing and by the time I had opened the oven door, the wing struts had melted on one side and the top wing had slumped forward and the struts that were straight formed a beautiful "S" curve (must remember that for when I need an S curve in a strut!?)

I decided to fix to the fuselage the best fitting wings and then sort out the warped side. To do this I had to remove the lug on the Starboard lower wing. But the rigging was still in place.

DSC07313

Thought long and hard decided to cut the S curve struts out and make some new ones with two filaments of stretched sprue sanded into some where near the correct shape.

Using a jig made with wooden stirers  fixed the Starboard wing into place. Even after all this manhandling I only needed to replace 2 lines.

DSC07315

That done fitted the the four new struts sanded and painted. 

DSC07333

The control lines at the rear of he fus' took a little time to discover which control horn they went to but using my modified technique this was completed in next to no time.

Pushing the 2mm stretched sprue plastic end into the body and glueing then gluing onto the control horn.

DSC07340

So nearly there...

Here is a photo comparison of the Uschi line and a human hair

DSC07308

• Like 2

Hi,

IMHO, Tamiya paints brush painted suck!!!!!!

It would appear that using alcohol to dilute them a tad makes them easier to use, but mental hospitals are full of Tamiya paint brush aspiring artists!

You have been warned!

But at the end of the day, your Swordfish is rather good.

Have fun.

JR

Ohh I’ve tried this many times as a lad but never finished one. I do have one in my stash and it, like the HP O/400 I’m building ( aka the pink thing) is one of my modelling demons that I intend to confront soon :) 

Tamiya brush painting. I shudder at the memories....,,,get the cheapest screen wash you can and lay it on thin. It can be done as I used to use their semigloss black as a lad with great success. But you need to not overbrush it. Great save though. I used to work on converting action figures and used boiling water to fix warped parts. As airfix plastic is softer, could boiling water work? More control and less “gourmet” cooking of models! But well saved. It looks great.