Fitting of bomb sight in Lancaster (early type?)

elger

Hello all,

Working on an early (ish) Lancaster, lost in January 1943 and I think it was equipped with the early course setting bomb sight, rather than the Mk. XIV which I think was fitted to Lancasters later on. The reason for thinking this is because the aircraft I'm building was fitted with the brackets discussed in this thread:

My question is: is there a diagram or a clear photo that shows how the bomb sight was mounted in relation to these V shaped brackets?

If You look at the image below, You will see that each 'V' frame has a vertical metal plate holding the gun-sight from each side (one plate on port, one on starboard of the gun-sight), which itself is a bit lower than the frames

lancaster_bomb_aimer_1943_ch_8789-598x64

Edited by warhawk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Bear in mind though that unless you are building a model of an aircraft with a crew in it, it wouldn't have had a bombsight in it. They didn't live in the aircraft.

Same with maps on the navigator's table.

Chris

4 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Bear in mind though that unless you are building a model of an aircraft with a crew in it, it wouldn't have had a bombsight in it. They didn't live in the aircraft.

My way out is to imagine the model as ready to be boarded, or with the crew just having left the aircraft for some reason just before takeoff. Maybe a navigator got out his maps, but for some reason left the aircraft behind. Like what happens in the movie Memphis Belle, when there is a weather delay. Or the rapture has happened ;)

(The same goes for guns, protective covers for the wheels, covers for turrets, access doors either open or closed, throttle levers left up or down... it's an infinite exercise).

Oh, you're at complete liberty to build anything you like.  rapture or otherwise.

Really I just wanted to make the point in case the earlier bombsight is creating a modelling problem which you could very justifiably side-step if you wished. But if the bombsight is part of the attraction of the subject for you, then stick with it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Oh, you're at complete liberty to build anything you like.  rapture or otherwise.

Really I just wanted to make the point in case the earlier bombsight is creating a modelling problem which you could very justifiably side-step if you wished. But if the bombsight is part of the attraction of the subject for you, then stick with it.

:) thanks!