Matchbox 1/72nd Twin Otter 'Nature Air'

Mr T

a bit out of my usual modelling comfort zone is this Matchbox Twin Otter flown by the now defunct Costa Rican airline Nature Air. I built this kit about three  years ago as my son worked in Costa Rica for a while and flew on one of their aircraft to get to the Pacific coast site he was working at. The model is more or less from the kit, although the windows were blanked off and decals used instead as the modelled aircraft had a different window arrangement to that of the kit. The kit is a bit basic in places and I ended up refining some bits like the nose gear and as it was in the original three colour moulding of white, yellow and black was fun to paint. Decals were I think from Aztec and seemed to work OK, if a little fragile. Hope you like it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 44

Good to see the old Matchbox kit transformed into such an attractive model!

I can just imagine the amount of primer that must have been necessary to neutralise the black and yellow parts. 😉 I believe that the later Revell version was moulded in uniform grey colour.

The second photo really shows off the beautiful livery to best advantage and should've been the opener, IMHO. Using an out-of-focus pic as the header is a bit of a put off, honestly. In fact, never use an unfocused photo – 're-shoot or delete' is a good rule of thumb… 😉

Great modelling.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments, Joachim, I did not realise the photo was out of focus until I went back to look again, I put this topic up after spending some time on the computer and my eyes were tired, which happens to me post stroke. You are right and I have edited the topic. 

Hello Mr. T.

What can I say. One of the cheapest models on the shelf and look what you can do with it.

This is top modelling on a very low budget. Highest Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2020 at 7:21 PM, Hairtrigger said:

Well executed...  That livery looks challenging eek.

It is not as bad as it looks as most of it is separate large decals for the rear fuselage and tail. Photos were essential and there was a good selection online of that particular aircraft and the instructions could have been a bit more detailed. Other aircraft in the fleet had different schemes that were also available as decals. Made a bit of a change.