‘Norwegian Air’ Boeing 787-9 in 1/144

I present my Zvezda Boeing 787-9 in Norwegian’s UNICEF livery G-CKLZ. I chose this livery as it’s a great show of support for the excellent work that UNICEF carry out all over the World and it’s great to see Norwegian, like many other airlines, supporting this great cause. 

The kit was OOB with aftermarket decals from Ascensio and the windows and cockpit decals from Authentic Airlines. The Satcom antenna comes as standard with this kit. It was straight forward to assemble with minimal filling required. The paints used were Halfords Appliance white, brush painted Humbrol acrylic Scarlett 60 for the red section. I wish I had sprayed the red section now though instead of brush painting it. I have a special livery Vietjet A321 to do in the future and will likely spray the red on that I think. The metals were various Revell Aqua colours. 

The decals are laser printed with additional white screen printed decals where they are required. They are easy to use and work well with Microset/Microsol. The only thing I did differently was paint the lower fuselage billboard red, as the decal supplied doesn’t match the actual aircraft livery after studying photos of the underside. I made the ice indicators myself for the wings using left over 777 decals and cut it to reflect the shape seen on the Norwegian 787, as it’s not common on all 787s that I’ve seen. As always an excellent product from Authentic Airlines, they really do bring a model to life. 

My next project to hit here in the future is likely to be my A321N in the Hawaiian Airlines livery. 

As always thank you for looking and any constructive feedback and comments are very much welcomed. 

Regards,

Alistair

Norwegian Boeing 787-9 Norwegian Boeing 787-9 Norwegian Boeing 787-9 Norwegian Boeing 787-9 Norwegian Boeing 787-9 Norwegian Boeing 787-9 Norwegian Boeing 787-9 Norwegian Boeing 787-9 Norwegian Boeing 787-9 Norwegian Boeing 787-9 Norwegian Boeing 787-9 Norwegian Boeing 787-9 Norwegian Boeing 787-9 Norwegian Boeing 787-9

49418653981_7ac565f39d_b.jpg

49418668696_1de0c96bef_b.jpg

49418799961_7faed3fd5e_b.jpg

Edited by Scotsman07
  • Like 40

Congratulations Alistair - another fine addition to your collection. It's great to see some of your small touches like the wingtip lights.

Red is a pig of a colour to brush paint (so is yellow for that matter) and you've done a good job. There are various rattle can reds available from Halfords and Tamiya when you come to VietJet.

We seem to be sort of running in parallel just now - I have a 787-9 on the bench as I write this and an A321 Neo in the post from Jadlam. Currently they are planned to become Vietnam Airlines and SATA Air Açores respectively but it will be a good while before either is ready to be posted and the liveries may well change before then.

All the best

Dave G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

Congratulations Alistair - another fine addition to your collection. It's great to see some of your small touches like the wingtip lights.

Red is a pig of a colour to brush paint (so is yellow for that matter) and you've done a good job. There are various rattle can reds available from Halfords and Tamiya when you come to VietJet.

We seem to be sort of running in parallel just now - I have a 787-9 on the bench as I write this and an A321 Neo in the post from Jadlam. Currently they are planned to become Vietnam Airlines and SATA Air Açores respectively but it will be a good while before either is ready to be posted and the liveries may well change before then.

All the best

Dave G

Thank you Dave, I might try experimenting with the metal detail parts on a future build, and see how I get on. I brought that book about airliner modelling this weekend as it was going for £6 on Amazon 👍🏻, it is an excellent little book to have with some great techniques and tips. Is it true that superglue would be the required method to attach the metal parts to the model?

I also wanted to know if anyone has come up with a good paint match for the A350 ‘Matterhorn white’ wings. I was going to mix a speck of light grey with gloss white. As I am hoping to do a Singapore Airlines A350 in the future or even BA or Virgin’s new -1000.

I look forward to seeing your finished models 😀. Thank you again.

Regards,

Alistair

Edited by Scotsman07

2 hours ago, Scotsman07 said:

I also wanted to know if anyone has come up with a good paint match for the A350 ‘Matterhorn white’ wings.

You and me both. When I built my Air China A350 last year I thought I had found  good match in Mr Color 107 Character White. It looked pretty OK indoors but when I took the model outside for the photos it clearly wasn't grey enough, more a sort of scruffy concrete colour - definitely not what I was aiming for! 

If/when I build another A350 I'll have to go back to square one unless anyone else comes up with a match in the meantime..

18 hours ago, Moa said:

Another wonderful model in an unusual finish, great job!

I was recommended a sort of super strong white glue for the PE parts, caller Gator Glue (or something like that).

It worked for me.

Iirc you have to contact the person that makes it directly.

Cheers

Thank you, I will keep that in mind I have an experiment with PE parts. Would you guys highly recommend PE parts or not?

Regards,

Alistair

16 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Anther lovely build there Alistair, it is a striking scheme.

So is this an Authentic Airliners sheet? I did not know they had so many sheets available now!

Yeah this an Authentic Airliners sheet, they have a lot of different aircraft ranges now. I’d love some Photoreal window and cockpit decals for an A380 I plan to build, but unfortunately they don’t have those and I’m not sure they will.

Regards,

Alistair

17 hours ago, Michael51 said:

Marvellous work indeed.

A very clean finish,

Michael

Thank you Michael 👍🏻

• Like 1

Hi Alistair,

That's gorgeous! I much prefer the -9 it seems more in proportion to the -8 somehow. I've yet to build a 787 but I've got a couple in the stash which I must start soon.

I would recommend PE details but they can be fiddly. I think they make the most difference on the undercarriage but not all manufacturers include undercarriage detail. I tend to use either super glue or PVA.

Is the white line around the nose cone a decal if so is it included in the Ascensio sheet? It is quite a distinctive feature of the 787 and nice you've included it.

Cheers,

Ian

On 22/01/2020 at 20:34, Turbofan said:

Hi Alistair,

That's gorgeous! I much prefer the -9 it seems more in proportion to the -8 somehow. I've yet to build a 787 but I've got a couple in the stash which I must start soon.

I would recommend PE details but they can be fiddly. I think they make the most difference on the undercarriage but not all manufacturers include undercarriage detail. I tend to use either super glue or PVA.

Is the white line around the nose cone a decal if so is it included in the Ascensio sheet? It is quite a distinctive feature of the 787 and nice you've included it.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thank you, I agree with you the -9 does look more in proportion than the -8. I look forward to seeing your 787 in the future.

Thank you for the top regarding PE parts, I may give them a go on a later build. I have decided I’m going to try and be brave and convert the Revell 773ER to either a -200LR or -200ER. I am nervous, and excited, to have a go. 
The white line around the nose is a decal, it came with the Zvezda Kit decal sheet, I had to do it myself on my Qatar 787-8. 
Thank you again.

Regards,

Alistair

On 25/01/2020 at 19:58, Viking said:

Lovely neat job, I'm really getting to like the Dreamliner now, it has a certain character about it.

Cheers

John

Thank you John, I must admit I am becoming a huge admirer of the 787. It’s a lovely aircraft. I’m excited to see how the 777X gets on. Looked great the other day on its first take off run...

Regards,

Alistair