Masking Vallejo Model Colour paints

Modelholic

I've used them with a brush for smaller areas and figures now I'm considering thinning and spraying. How do they stand up to (sometimes prolonged) periods under masking tape? I', thinking prime well and leave to thoroughly dry before masking off and such like.

Tom

Edited by Modelholic
bad spelling

I really struggle with masking and acrylic paints (I use Vallejo, Tamiya and Mig Ammo). Unless I have recited various incantations, sacrificed a bf 109 and then danced around my first Lancaster at midnight they sometimes peel off in places when removing the tape. I have found Vallejo (Air and colour) to be the most fragile of these three.

I think there are two ways of dealing with it.

The first is to prepare as much as possible. There are several threads on this site that discuss this in detail. Sometimes these work for me and sometimes they don't. I have noticed that the type of model seems to make a difference. All styrene is not the same! In addition different colour paints from the same manufacturer will be more robust than others. Priming sometimes helps and sometimes hinders (e.g. I don't get on with the Vallejo primer at all).

The second way is to become much more thoughtful and frugal about masking. I used to cover everything with Tamiya tape but now I tend to try and be more accurate with the airbrush and only very sparingly use tape. This does help as the more tape you use the more likely that paint will lift. Consider alternatives to tape such as silly putty for certain jobs. Not always the answer but can help.

In the end I don't think there is a perfect easy answer. You need to read what others have suggested and trial and error will find a way that works for you.

Off topic - I see you are in Middlesbrough - can you recommend good model shops in the area?

Pete,

I see your a newish poster. Stick around this is one of the best sites around Any question, there's probably someone on here that can answer it.

. I've never had a problem masking Tamiya acrylic. It'd just that I've a couple of 1:350 ships in the distant pipeline and I'm thinking about using up some existing paints rather than purchase new.

Not that many shops around these days. If I'm not shopping online I go to Hobbycraft on the retail park for Tamiya paints, odds and ends and the occasional impulse buy) or over to Redcar Model Shop on the high street, for the same sort of stuff (and sometimes to eye their stock of Evergreen)

I don't suppose model shops are sprouting through the heather on the moors near you either!

Tom

Hi Tom

I've masked using Vallejo Model Air most often with no problems.  I use Mig Ammo "One shot" primer if possible.  Alcalad primer is an alternative but a lot more messy to work with.

I do try and wash the main model surfaces prior to priming with washing up  detergent.  I use Tamiya masking tape.

I've used Vallejo model Colour far less often to spray but have done so.  FWIW I dilute model Colour to spray with paint : Vallejo airbrush cleaner ; water = 50 : 25 : 25.  Some paints are definitely thcker in the bottle than others - if that's the case Up the Vallejo cleaner proportion.

I can't recall ever having paint peel

Rob

Thanks Rob,

I know from brushing they can be a little fragile and need a good clean and primed surface I'll give it a go with some airbrush cleaner as you suggested when I'm ready.

Ta

Tom

12 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Pete,

I see your a newish poster. Stick around this is one of the best sites around Any question, there's probably someone on here that can answer it.

. I've never had a problem masking Tamiya acrylic. It'd just that I've a couple of 1:350 ships in the distant pipeline and I'm thinking about using up some existing paints rather than purchase new.

Not that many shops around these days. If I'm not shopping online I go to Hobbycraft on the retail park for Tamiya paints, odds and ends and the occasional impulse buy) or over to Redcar Model Shop on the high street, for the same sort of stuff (and sometimes to eye their stock of Evergreen)

I don't suppose model shops are sprouting through the heather on the moors near you either!

Tom

Thanks Tom,

Vallejo seems to defiantly need a little more care than Tamiya in my experience.

I shall take a trip to Redcar. The new type of shop around here seems to be more toy and model combined (not complaining as it's better than it was a few years ago). There is one in Pickering and one in Malton. They are fine to pick up the latest Airfix/Tamiya model etc but not so great for all the small stuff like plastic and metal materials. Anyway that's enough off topic before I get in trouble.

Pete

I don't mind too much if a thread wanders off topic a little.

I might learn something I didn't know I needed to know!

Redcar's a great little shop. 

I buy the bigger stuff online but always try to get in there when I'm local, which is usually about twice a year probably (I've usually only got Mondays free, and they're shut on Mondays).

Tom

Speaking of Redcar (Hallo from sunny Darlo) have you tried Boyes for Vallejo paints? I know the Darlo and Barnard Castle stores keep decent stocks.

And if you travel a little further north The North East Model Centre, Chester Moor, Chester Le Street is probably the best model shop within 50 miles. Huge stocks of paints and kits and bits and recently expanded.

https://www.northeastmodelcentre.co.uk/

(No link other than as a very happy customer)

• Like 1

In Whitby on the Abbey side near the bridge there's a toy shop with some modelly stuff in it.

Might manage a trip to Chester Moor tomorrow if I can get SWMBO distracted for a few hours!

Tom

• 1 month later...

Simonj,

I've never used Vallejo primer so I've no ideas about it. I prime with Halfords grey acrylic aerosol.

I do know that I've had masking tape on since around new year with a ship's 4 colour camo pattern completed and removed it all last weekend with no ill effects.

I've mostly sprayed Tamiya acrylics but thought I'd use Vallejo for a change.

Must say I was impressed on how well they sprayed and their coverage.

Just had to experiment a bit with the ratios being used to Tamiya paint and Vallejo has a different set of 'rules'

Tom