SAAB S17BS Floatplane ***FINISHED***

Courageous

Cheers guys, cockpit in paint shop, time to move to something else.

20200214-151351-1.jpg

Floats were next on the list. The molded-on ladders were removed and fitted with metal options. Hinges added to forward hatch. Mooring ring added out of wire. Photo's and manual don't show the 'mushroom' things on the float hull but do show a disc in its place, so that got fitted.

20200214-151358-1.jpg

The aft section of the float had a ridge down the centre. Photo's and manual show this as where the rudder control lines are, so the ridge was removed and half rings added instead. Aft 'mushroom' removed and a morring cleat fitted and a couple of disks added as per manual. Sink marks on the back end that needed a bit of filler.

20200214-151439-1.jpg

This is the other float that needed no filler, all primed.

Until next week.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 15

Cheers guys. While progress is made on the build, I thought I'd better look at the cockpit.

20200217-193430-1.jpg

The internals were painted overall with AK's Olive Green with quadrants, panels and I/P's painted black. Other panels and boxes were picked out with greens and greys. Extinguisher- silver, oxygen bottles an off white and cockpit bottle painted red. When the selected areas were dry, they were glossed and received various decals to make it busy. Needs to dry before a little bit of weathering.

Stuart

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looking forward to seeing the fuselage joined. 

Cheers Dave, all going well, should be soon.

Time to clean and glue other stuff.

20200218-125853-1.jpg

Wings cleaned and glued. Ailerons were already separate, cleaned.

20200218-125734-1.jpg

Tail section parts all cleaned up.

20200218-125518-1.jpg

Propulsion parts cleaned up but seem to have lost the propeller boss/ hub, soon knock one of them up. Need to find a photo of a Bristol Mercury XXIV engine now as it needs tarting up.

Stuart

• Like 6

On 18/02/2020 at 06:08, Courageous said:

20200218-125518-1.jpg

Propulsion parts cleaned up but seem to have lost the propeller boss/ hub, soon knock one of them up. Need to find a photo of a Bristol Mercury XXIV engine now as it needs tarting up.

Stuart

This is about the best looking restoration out there. 

36831477685_673bfdac8d_o.jpg

Chris

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

This is about the best looking restoration out there. 

I do have this but thanks.

Saab-B-17-007.jpg?gid=132

From the Saab B17 walk around here: http://plasticfantastique.com/walk_arounds/walk-around-the-saab-b17/ I pulled this as this shows the 3 mountings that need to be fitted. To me, these mounts can only be fitted when everything is fitted :hmmm:

The cockpit area has been washed, highlighted and dry brushed. Tomorrow, the side windows will be fitted and all being well, the i/p, deck and sides will join, seats will go in later. 

Stuart

• Like 2

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gee there's some really nice detailing work going on her, that float is amazing!

Thanks Rich, when needs must.

Anyway, back to the build.

20200220-122351-1.jpg

The side windows are fitted, you'll seem them later as they're hidden by the rear deck at the moment. I/P fitted and then the centre section. Seats will go in later.

20200220-123621-1.jpg

Fuselage halves joined and the port side seen here...

20200220-123710-1.jpg

...and starboard side here.

Also done but not shown is work on the engine. Holes were drilled at exhaust locations and short stubs added.

Stuart

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

What they all said, great work. I love it when the fuselage gets closed up - a defining moment!

Cheers Terry and it is but it needed to be done because of the flippin great greenhouse sitting on top.

Lunchtime update...

20200221-125844-1.jpg

Wings on  and ailerons fitted, Not to bad, just needs a little tidying up topside.

20200221-125919-1.jpg

On its back with bomb doors fitted. This aircraft comes with a tail wheel (not needed), a skid (not needed) and doors that were grossly oversize. External photos of the 'BS', show no evidence of these doors being open, so I fitted an appropriate thickness of plasticard and blanked it off, will be sanded and scribed when dry. Again the underside wing join isn't to bad. Also of note, towards the rear of the wing , just forward of the flaps and blanking plates that are fitted on the BS, these would house the wheels on standard versions.

Not sure what can be done next week as I'm away on a course, we'll see.

Stuart

• Like 7

Been away for the best part of a week and boy hasn’t this come along beautifully (as all the early signs we’re indicating). Top shelf modelling mate and something tells me it’s only gonna get much better. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 9:44 AM, Hewy said:

that'll  look great under the big old canopy

Cheers Hewy, I hope so.

On 2/22/2020 at 9:58 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Top shelf modelling mate and something tells me it’s only gonna get much better. 

Thanks Dave, I hope i can deliver.

On 2/22/2020 at 10:47 AM, RidgeRunner said:

I'm storing it all for the future

Cheers Martin, store away.

Managed to squeeze in a little update...

20200224-124946-1.jpg

Tackled the tail end: rudder fitted and offset and horizontal stabilisers on with their vertical bits, don't ask me what they are 'cos I don't know. I will leave it to dry now and tackle a little PPP when I'm back from my course.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 9

Mind The Gap! Or is that the final step for climbing up and down the float support? :blink2:

Glad to see this one moving forward again :thumbsup:

• Like 1