SAAB S17BS Floatplane ***FINISHED***

Courageous

18 hours ago, Courageous said:

Cheers Terry, yes it is. I'm undecided on the look of it yet but I'm leaning towards it being tied-up alongside a jetty or something.

Stuart

That sounds a great setting in which to display this one :thumbsup:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Col. said:

That sounds a great setting in which to display this one

Cheers Col. This is what I done with my Shavrov SH-2...

IMG-8539.jpg

...so I'll be using a similar idea.

Anyway, a little further...

20200414-202323-1.jpg

Decals (by Techmod) are on but they are not doing much with Mr Mark & Micro Sol setting solutions...lets leave a while and see what happens.

Stuart

• Like 9

On 4/14/2020 at 10:50 PM, trickyrich said:

gee she looks good with the markings on, hopefully those decals will settle down.

It has taken a while to settle those decals down to something I was happy with. In the end the Micro Sol & Mr Mark couldn't do much and a club member suggested using Tamiya Acrylic Thinner X-20A, so I gave it a shot. It did settle them down a little more, think I will have to try and find something 'hotter' for the more stubborn decals.

On 4/14/2020 at 11:31 PM, Col. said:

The setting for your Shavrov looks fantastic so something similar will suit your SAAB

Indeed.

20200418-144350-1.jpg

Canopy masking off and landing lights fitted. Still bits to do but want to look at the base. Basically, the idea I'm focused on will be that the plane will be moored alongside a lakeside bank with a gangplank . I would've liked a figure or two but haven't got a clue as to availability of suitable figures, ideas?

Still to do:

• Fit and rig rudders (painted)
  • Fit glazing at pilots position (painted)
  • Locate, paint, fit and rig aerial mast.
  • Locate, paint and fit pitot.
  • Locate, paint and fit underside bits.
  • Base.

Notice how I say 'locate'. I'm pretty sure that I have the bits on the sprues (among other parts not used on this variant) but due to a misplacing of the 'near useless' instructions, I'm not sure of the bits. Hopefully, I've left them at work where the build started?

Stuart

• Like 8

Done a little more digging on web to try and find something about Swedish pilots or ground crew and stumbled across this image. 

"Ooohhh" I said, I might have something that I can use...

20200418-155703-1.jpg

These dudes can very easily pass for a Swedish pilot/ crew, so...

20200418-154830-1.jpg

Found a suitable pose (this guy is supposed to be working on a bomb and a little modification... et voila. Just got to fill in a few gaps and paint.

Stuart

• Like 7

you could try AMMO Mig's new decal solutions, they seem to be quite a bit hotter than the Mr Hobby stuff I normally use.

IMG_4431-M.jpg

I love what you have planned for the dio.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Courageous said:

20200418-155703-1.jpg

These dudes can very easily pass for a Swedish pilot/ crew, so...

I reckon you are onto something there. Maybe @CedB could use some of these guys. That box art reminds me of Ced's latest build.

The Saab is coming along very nicely indeed.

Terry

20 hours ago, trickyrich said:

you could try AMMO Mig's new decal solutions

Why not. As far as I can tell, the 'Fix' is the stuff I need. Glad you like the dio idea.

18 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice work on the figure

You haven't seen my figure painting yet...

10 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I reckon you are onto something there.

I hope so Terry.

Stuart

On 4/19/2020 at 11:08 PM, RidgeRunner said:

She is looking bl@@dy good,

Cheers Martin, much appreciated.

A little more progress...

20200423-113554.jpg

Underside sticky-outy bits added and masking removed from windows ('cos I forgot their were underside windows). The rudders didn't get 100% paint coverage but they'll be in the water and nobody will see except the fishes.

20200423-113838-1.jpg

Very few  people will know what this is and before say it, yes it's wire but it's 'special' wire. This is 0.05mm stainless steal 'red-egg' recording wire used in flight data recorders that I had dealings with many years ago, this a failed sample. I did have a larger spool of this but has been lost in numerous house moves but I've managed to save this for some modelling job and here is one.

20200423-113713-1.jpg

Their was no way that I was going to get Uschi line through those rings but lengths of wire would. So I cut lengths of wire, 3 per rudder; 2 for direction control and 1 for raising the rudder into position. All secured with CA and paint job will need touching up later. Resting my eyes for a while, so I'll give the figure a little attention.

Stuart

• Like 7

I'll say it again, Stuart; that looks bl@@dy good :). I love that wire and your work on those floats is exquisite!

Martin 

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

that looks bl@@dy good :). I love that wire and your work on those floats is exquisite!

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

WOW!  :yikes: that's some really fine work.

Thanks Martin, thanks Rich.

Onwards and upwards...

20200424-135827.jpg

Aerial and rigging on, pilots canopy and door fitted, and prop fitted. Calling this SAAB but we're not finished yet are we children...

20200424-140031-1.jpg

Pilot figure done, just needs a 'flat' coat.

20200424-140118-1.jpg

Surfaces paint with some dark earth paint and dry brushed with a sand colour. Static grass added and secured with matt varnish. Next is the tricky bit, the water.

20200424-140223-1.jpg

Just to see how it looks...

Stuart

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys. Apologies for the lack of progress but mojo was virtually non-existent after a period of illness. Realising that the deadline was looming, I thought I had better get my butt in gear and finish this off.

IMG-8697.jpg

Job done.

Stuart

• Like 7

• Courageous changed the title to SAAB S17BS Floatplane ***FINISHED***

You made it Stuart which is more than I did on this GB. She looks splendid, well done. Hope you are over the worst with illness.

Take care

Terry

• Like 1