SAAB S17BS Floatplane ***FINISHED***

Courageous

Cheers for the encouragement guys.

The gap at the float support wing junction has been filled with slithers of plasticard, PPP and sanded. Only a primer coat will reveal if things needed sorting.

20200305-130610-1.jpg

According to photos of this variant, the kit intake is located to far back. When located correctly, the intake is then too long and projects into the path of the prop. Also, the intake follows the curvature of the collector ring. So, the intake was cut partially through to help mold it to the curve, then shortened and finally drilled out to make it look hollow.

I have also started to add short lengths of tubing to the exhaust stubs to later mate with the internal collector ring and we mustn't forget the three supports.

Stuart

• Like 9

Cheers guys. Thought I'd give the machine gun and it's mount a look at.

20200310-130356-1.jpg

• A. Is meant to represent a Swedish license built Browning M1919 MG but looks nothing like a 'standard' M1919; barrel too short, block too short, body to high. That rear grip scales out to be about 12" long! Now I know that if I scratch a standard M1919 it would too long for the model and I haven't found anything on the 'net' to show me how it should. So, I'm going use the barrel, lengthen the body, reduce its height and reduce the size of that grip. 
  • B. The mount. The instructions inform you that it lays horizontal, photos show this as being vertical and the MG slides over the radius. So that's what I've done and I'll need to squeeze that into the back.
  • C. Ammunition supply channel. This may need adapting slightly to connect to the ammunition try (not supplied).
  • D. Cartridge chute. Grossly oversize compared to photos. This should be about 6" diameter, approx 2mm in 1/72 and needs to connect to the waste box I fitted on the starboard fuselage.

Stuart

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

D. Cartridge chute... This should be... approx. 2mm in 1/72...

This one fact has brought a sense of scale (pun intended) to all the tiny details you're adding in this project :clap2:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it's been so long since last update, lots going on.

Anyway, I thought that seeing that the rear MG would be virtually the last thing to be fitted, I've put that to one side and turned my attention to the cockpit glazing and seats.

20200326-214227-1.jpg

Some back padding was added to the pilots seat, together with his belts, the rear is only fitted with lap belts. Primed,painted, weathered and now just waits for a little chipping highlight to the seat edges.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I wanted to show the build with an open cockpit, so a micro-saw/ scalpel was used to remove the pilots door. The curved roof section was retained but the port window was removed and replaced with some acetate sheet. The glazing isn't particularly, so needed a Klear dip but unfortunately my Klear has become a little thick and not flowing correctly and I couldn't wick off the excess sufficiently. So the glazing was immersed into a little bath of IPA and the Klear removed. I have read somewhere that Klear could be thinned with alcohol, so with nothing to lose, I thinned the Klear with IPA (don't ask about ratio), mixed it well but introduced lots of bubbles, so I'll leave that to gas-off over night and with any luck should be usable tomorrow.

Stuart

• Like 7

You're going to need a nice clear canopy to keep that lovely cockpit detail visible so hopefully your Klear comes good in the morning.

• Like 1

This is beautiful work Stuart.

I usually thin my Klear with water, which seems to work OK (but I'm sure the IPA will do a good job too :)).

Cheers

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CliffB said:

I'm sure the IPA will do a good job too

By the time I went to bed last night, the thinned Klear was thinner, clear and bubble free...so far, so good.

9 hours ago, Col. said:

Klear comes good in the morning.

A quick experiment early this morning, I carried out a trial with the revitalised Klear on a spare canopy and all looks good. So, it looks like we are a 'go' later.

Stuart

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

improved Klear works out.

Well, later that day, the improved Klear had turned cloudy :shrug:. So, dipped an old bit of glazing expecting to look cloudy but it wasn't, so in went the SAAB's glazing and now it's clear. All being good, I'll mask the canopy tomorrow evening.

Stuart

• Like 2

Sorry for the lack of updates but life...

20200408-172357-1.jpg

Front and rear seats fitted. I had to tackle this bloomin' MG with its add-ons. I couldn't find any images of the licensed built Browning M1919 MG that is mounted in the rear but as mentioned earlier, the kit MG 'looked' so wrong and wouldn't fit when fitted at its correct position, so a trimmed down version was made. The photos I have show that the ammo belt magazine lays horizontally underneath the MG with the ammo belt being fed through an articulated metal channel to the MG. The 'waste' is collected at the base of the gun by an expandable canvas tube that was reinforced by wire wrapping and the empties deposited into a box on the starboard fuselage. Also fitted is the central 'bridge' between the two seat positions. Sorry for not having more pics of the work but with everything else going on, I completely forgot.

20200408-172831-1.jpg

The rear canopy was masked and painted with the internal colour of olive green and because this canopy slides inside the main canopy, this also had to painted the external colour ahead of the game. With the aid of this thread:

Post #21 by  @Christer A stated that Flygflottilj F2 mixed their won colour from 'Olivegreen W25 with 60% black in it', so this is what I did, just hope I can mix the top colour to match! The canopy was then fixed place. As can be seen in the above pic, something is still not right in the gun area but it is what it is, move on.

20200408-173009-1.jpg

The main canopy was also masked and painted with the internal colour, fitted and will be painted when the uppers get painted (interesting masking situation there). 

20200407-171218-1.jpg

And while the canopy glue dries, I finished adding the exhaust stubs using 0.6mm tubing. The whole thing was then primed and painted with Tamiya AS-12 Silver, Vallejo Black and Vallejo Flat Brown before being washed with Citadel Nuln Oil Shade.

That's it for now, hopefully I'll be giving this SAAB a little more attention over the Easter Weekend, don't think I'm going anywhere...

Stuart

• Like 8

progress may not be quick but what you're doing looks great!

It's a shame theat gun is giving you so much grief, least you're getting close to the painting stage.

• Thanks 1

Cheers guys.

20200410-183434-1.jpg

A little further along. With the glazing fitted a little PPP was needed along its join with the fuselage and when dry it was primed with Halford's auto primer. Top and bottom rear fuselage joins need a little darting up, so that's the next job.

Stuart

• Like 12

On 4/10/2020 at 8:17 PM, JeroenS said:

Ooh, nice!

Thanks mate.

20200412-120957-1.jpg

Applied the underside colour of W26 light bluegrey (FS36176), only slightly different than my Halford's grey primer. Will allow that to dry before masking.

Stuart

• Like 6

Thanks Rich.

20200413-131411-1.jpg

Not the best lighting conditions but a bit of masking, the upper colour mixture of 40% Olive green/ 60% Black was applied mainframe, canopy separates, float rudders and engine cowling. Is that light that I see at the end of the tunnel...

Stuart

• Like 6