SAAB S17BS Floatplane ***FINISHED***

Courageous

This will hopefully be my build in this GB, a SAAB S17BS Floatplane built OOB with some little details. First the 'stuff' as like me, many may have not heard of Marivox.

20190515-124532-1.jpg

Boxart- front.

20190515-124553-1.jpg

Colour options, one option for me...a floater.

20190515-124643-1.jpg

Sprue 1

20190515-124704-1.jpg

Sprue 2

20190515-124724-1.jpg

Sprue 3

20190515-124823-1.jpg

Clear sprue

20190515-124744-1.jpg

Decal sheet

20190515-124905-1.jpg

The sketch

Looks like it'll be fun but have first got to get the Mustang GB out of the way.

Until next time

Stuart

• Like 14

welcome along Stuart, and with a really interesting an unusual aircraft.

Everyone seems to be bring along some unusual models and this is another one. I had to look up this aircraft as well, interesting history.

The model from the pictures looks quite nice, same with the marking choice...the instructions...well very interesting! They are detailed but look a wee bit confusing with all the variations.

Well good luck with the build, glad you bought this interesting model along for it, look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 1

Nice choice! It has great cumbersome look with it's wheels down - but I'm sure will be equally as cool with the floats :) I have a Marivox kit in the stash too, Saab SK60, might have a go at that if I find the time :D 

• Like 1

I'm not expecting much of an answer on this aircraft really but I'd thought I'd put it out there.

I'm wanting to add belts to the seats but haven't a clue as to what the setup would be. Could I just fit something like a Sutton harness and get away with it or was it just a pair of lap belts? Did the back 'passenger' have the same thing?

I'm hoping to present the cockpit open and with that, the ever inquisitive  eye will want to see something. I haven't come across anything cockpit wise for the 'floater' but would it be drastically different from this version. I know their are modern bits in there and I can discount those?

Stuart

• Like 1

Lunchtime update.

20200123-125828-1.jpg

This 'floater' has a large canopy and although it's not 100% clear, things will be seen and add an open canopy into the mix, I thought I'd add a few ribs using 0.5mm square rod. Might add some stringers but we'll see.

20200123-130012-1.jpg

...and with the cockpit deck held in place. I think with some generic throttle blocks, controls and boxes, it will spruce-up a bit.

Stuart

• Like 7

I've just seen this thread, Stuart. A nice subject. It is a nice machine. I remember seeing one (the only one?) at Malmen air show a few years ago. A lively machine with a distinctive sound :).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Apologies from me as well... I've just come across this and like a few others have little clue on both the aircraft and kit manufacturer. What I see however is most interesting and I love the many options provided on that decal sheet. I'll have to look up Marivox to see what else they produce and just wondering if they are still in production or are these old stashed kits that are thankfully being dug out just for this GB. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

little things like that will certainly make the interior look nice and busy.

9 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice start. Adding things will reward you with a busier and more authentic view under that long canopy.

Cheers Rich & Col. It may come down to generic boxes/ panels as the only images I have are for the renovated bomber version and the signs in Swedish don't help. The biggest area will be the navigator/ observer/ gunner hole...

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I've just seen this thread, Stuart. A nice subject.

Cheers Martin. Sometimes you've just got to build something different.

34 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

What I see however is most interesting and I love the many options provided on that decal sheet.

Cheers Dave, I'm enjoying it so far. Bound to have fun 'n games later. As for Marivox kits, loads on Evilbay.

Stuart

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

So, is the Ethiopian a NMF/Silver machine?

That's what it looks like to me. The decals are there to do the rear boxart but the instructions paint guide don't mention it. You're a clever bloke, you'll sort it.

Stuart