F-15A Baz

dov

Hallo again

Now I will start the F-15 in 1/48. This will be a little longer modelling sequence, since I have many detail sets and accurate weapons for it. Beside that of all, I have so much literature about this a/c and know it very well from my own. I have seen it at the first flights, many combat sorties and on ground in the hangar for maintenance. Also in the museum. Since there are so many wonderful photos available, please use our walk around at the forum. Here you have hundreds of photos I will constantly refer to. It also exists a collection of flying photos from IAF aircrafts. It is a marvel book. Like Leonardo da Vinci, this photographer’s work may enjoy you. The link will be there.

THE MOST WONDERFUL PICTURES OF AIRCRAFT

The surface treatment of this model will be the outstanding challenge. Oh no, not because of C307 and C308 Mr. Hobby Colours, no not at all. Because how it looks in reality!

I found a built report on the internet, which is would be my guideline.

My Guideline

Using Aires cockpit and nozzles. The airframe by itself is a nice challenge. For the modeler: I split it. Front fuselage with cockpit and rear main fuselage without rudders. Tailerons and ruder will assembled at the very end. Wing is separately during a long time.

My aircraft will be the F-15 A Baz 689.

Happy modelling

• Like 4

Hallo again

Now I started the building. The air intakes I did, but with FOD it looks more attractive. So, I will save time and energy.

The fit of most pats is good, injection marks are all over, and you have to be careful, not to forget one to remove.

I removed the AOA and antennas from the underside front section. AOA will be a cover and pitot tube also. The antennas I will attach after finishing the a/c.

The ailerons cut is ahead, because they drop down after shut off systems.

The worst thing ahead is the gluing of front fuselage to main fuselage. It is a butt joint.

Tomorrow I will cut resin for the nozzle and cockpit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Happy modelling

• Like 2

Hallo again

Resin cutting.

Cockpit fine fit is pending. Weapons will wait for getting pins and add ons.

Tomorrow is plastic cutting my topic, Ailerons and lights.

Happy modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Hallo again

Now today’s progress was actually hard working with lots of dust and chips.

·        I did a plate at the intake, to prevent the FOD to fall in the model during installation.

·        I sprayed the intake area.

·        At the rear, I put some styrene at the tail boom, for my tailerons from resin.

·        I glued the top and bottom fuselage half together.

·        With CA, all major gaps I filled.

·        I took the wing and cut out for moved ailerons.

·        I glued the wings.

·        Again all major gaps I filled with CA.

·        Weapons: Here I did some improvements. The launcher for the Python I replaced from Zukei Mura Phantom left over. They are the LAU 7.

·        I took Sidewinders also from Zukei Mura left overs. LAU 128 with adapter from resin I added.

·        All covers for AOA, pitot, and wheels I cut out from resin.

·        The tail top pods I had to remove and replaced them symmetrically by styrene.

·        First sanding all over the fuselage including 2nd step CA at gaps.

·        First sanding run over the wings including 2nd step CA at gaps.

·        Holes for my tailerons I had to drill Ø 2,5 mm.

·        Cut out for lights at the wing tip and inner wing. For the lights by itself I will take some left overs from AIRES.

Happy modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Hallo again

Now the lights are on. This was the very important step for my wings and rudders. It all went well.

After that, I made the final fit for the cockpit. All well.

Yesterday I put wings on, and after gluing, I put CA in major holes. After that I used Surfacer 1000.

Now today the rudders are also in position.

The next step is getting along with weapon load and configuration of pylons and adaptors for launchers and my ECM pod.

Well, as you see on photos, I try got get my model close to a real Baz.

Happy modelling

spacer.png

Hallo again

So far, weapons, launcher, pylons and apapters: All in exact position with metal pins and holes on the opposite part.

The covers on the fuselage for AOA and pitot tube also.

The missiles are not satifying. Maybe I will replace them by Reskit and Brasin.

Happy modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hallo again

First about the AIRES cockpit: The cockpit is too short. At the rear end should be am edge from horizontal to vertical surface. If you install the cockpit like this, you have in the front a huge displacement, which result is, that the glare shield overlaps the edge of the front cockpit window. This never can happen, because for free ejecting room! So, I decided to get the mistake to the rear.

All small parts from missiles to gear and cockpit got a white surfacer treatment. To make painting easier.

Now I will proceed in all weapons, cockpit etc. As group by group, I will finish all them during next days. The nozzle too, is prepared. The FOD’s also.

The a/c I may paint in two separate parts as you saw on the jig. I assume that doing so, is much easier. The cockpit I can install from the rear after spraying. The small joint area I would have to get over once more.

Happy modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo again

Now I continued. With the Cockpit and fuselage assembling front & rear. Well, after that I tried a new colour, I bought recently in Japan:

Mr. Hobby SM201, 202, 204 and 205 on the fuselage of the Lockheed S-3 Viking in 72. The shades from rear to front is Titan, Stainless, Gold and Silver. With these colors, you get a good-looking surface and you may prevent Alclad. Therefore, I will do it.

All the missiles are lots of painting, but they need much more treatment. Even the other small parts like the gear and so on. They will keep me busy for the next days.

Happy modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Hallo again

Last days I was busy with my nozzles and the weapons only. As you see, missiles, adapters, and launchers are done.

The stenceling of the pylons are for tomorrow.

These missiles are from Eduard and ResKit. They really need all your attention, if you want a good result. Preparations for setting the Remove before Flight labels are done, now on all parts. I want to get them all on the correct position. It is a challenge, but I want to take it.

Happy modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Dov, mate!

Another one of yer stunning builds. The F-15 in the hands of the Israeli pilots is only comparable to the Katana in the hands of the Samurai. :worthy:

What with the Python 4 missile rail adapters, the wheels and the resin ailerons? What brands are they?

Always wanted to build an F-15A in IAF markings; was wondering whether they ever had the old-style -15A wheel hubs, just like their Yank counterparts.

Following this impressive job of yers, my brah.

Cheers,

Unc2  

Hallo again

Now I continued. I used the Mr. Hobby SM201, 202, 204 and 205. The shades I used are Titan, Stainless, and Silver. With these colors, you get a good-looking surface and you may prevent Alclad.

All the missiles are finished. The AIM-7 too. They will get the red RBF flag including pin. Also the gear and all over the a/c.

All small metal surfaces I finished. Also the nose cone.

Well, next days painting will continue!

Happy modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Great work on the missiles, nice job in the cockpit as well, despite the strange fit 🤔 I had the same problem with other Aires stuff, it's strange how they produce such beautifully detailed cockpits yet get a basic thing like that wrong 😂

Hallo again

Just my paint job.

Paints as already mentioned. C308, C307 and the CM Colors from Mr. Hobby.

Now I did after the metal surfaces, I made the camouflage, by spraying several areas with 307. Afterward masking and spraying 308. No preshading. I used oil color for the panel lines. Brown for the panels and black for several outlets. This time I shaded everything afterward. With base color and White or black and highly diluted. I used the photos from Xnir (I gave you already the link about IAF photos) as a painting guide for a worn down Baz.

Well, next days are reserved for stenciling and panel numbers.

Happy modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

This is my personal special.

Saw some strange panels on different spots on other Baz fographed during all decades.

For example 683 from Xnir of my foto link! Here it is aft port.

That is it.

Happy modelling

• Like 1

Hallo again

2nd day of stenciling. The panel numbers left for tomorrow.

Here is a wonderful example, to make a good or lousy model. At the leading edge of the wing you have to repeat very often the same stencil. What can happen:

·        They are offset

·        The distances are different

·        They are distorted

To avoid this, I use a Tamiya tape. My point to measure is the middle of the stencil length. Beginning and end point of the stencil area is equal the length of the tape. Now, the number of distances is number of stencils minus one. I turn the tape on my cutting plate that way, that the number of distances is equal the number of centimeters in my grid. It is the application of properties of general affinities in geometry.

Well, I work with Sky Decals and Microsol and Set fluids. The panel lines in the instruction are not the same as Hasegawa’s F-15A. Here I have to guess.

In summary it is like mediation, the patience you need.

Happy modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Hallo again

It is finished. Now, the Baz is done, after a breath with a T-34 in 1/35 I start my Raa’m. I have 4 of them. 2 Revell & Conversion and 2 Academy.

Well: The Aires cockpit have some surprises for the modeler: The mirrors for instance and compass should not be fixed on the front glazing. The handles are missing. The oleo for the opening of the canopy must be cut to the length you need. I took the kit part and changed it for fixing the canopy in the open position.

Well, during getting along with panel numbers stenciling, I wondered about the panel lines from Hasegawa kit. They are like a fairy tale. You can guess a lot.

Now, my Baz should show a Baz after the conversion for AIM-9 was done, sometimes in the 1980s.

Happy Modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5