Aoshima/Beemax 1:24 Volvo 240 Turbo

gt6mkiii

Welcome along Martin and we finally have a Volvo!!! :yahoo:

it's great to see one of these here in the build (I had hoped someone would do one of the racer 850R wagons).

It is very nice to see non-military/aircraft subjects in a GB plus we couldn't have a Nordic GB without a Volvo. A lot of us have had them (I had  C-70 coupe) and we all have a bit of a soft spot for them.

Will good luck with the build, I hope you enjoy the experience here, they're lots of fun and a great place to learn new stuff!. I look forward to seeing her in the galley.

Thanks guys, Volvo is a bit 'on the nose' for Scandinavia, but I've been wanting to try one of the Beemax kits. 

2 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I had hoped someone would do one of the racer 850R wagons

I looked for one of those on ebay but the prices are pretty high. 

Martin.

2 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Nice, another model without wings, I think we needed some more just for balance 🙂

Great kit! 

Ummm, I can spot a wing on the trunk?

Or perhaps that's more of a spoiler...

Anyawy, great choice!

This should be interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

The kit arrived, and was duly unpacked:

Volvo_240_2

I've decided to build this as a street car instead of the race version - fatigue from putting decals on the Ferrari SF70H I guess. First thing to do is to switch out the weird cambered slicks that come with the kit. 

Volvo_240_3

I've also narrowed the BBS wheels to fit an old set of RE71s from a Fujimi 180SX kit. I'm also lightly modifying the suspension to remove the camber so the tires are vertical(ish). Here's the camber as designed:

Volvo_240_5

I'll be going for a lowered but not too low stance - nice and athletic - this is just to test position, I still need to make the adapters for the hubs to the suspension:

Volvo_240_6

It's a pretty simple kit so once the stance is set I'll move on to the body.

Martin.

• Like 11

Yep, no spoiler, thanks for the agreement Jeroen. A small lip spoiler would be cool but the existing part had too much of a curve to modify (for me). Anyway - a bit more progress today filling holes from the spoiler:

volvo_12

After:

volvo_11

And more significantly, it's now green:

volvo_13

Very green - whenever I picture a Volvo, I always think of browns and greens, so this seemed appropriate. This is the base coat - I've done a mist coat of clear and will be doing the gloss coat in the next day or two.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

nice paint job, that green.........mmmm is from a different era. Though much better than the boring metallics on most of todays cars (ok I have Black Metallic on mine!! :whistle:),

I miss those hero colours from the 70's, "Luna Mint", "Strike Me Pink", "The Lone O'Ranger", "Vitamin C"! :D

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

nice paint job, that green.........mmmm is from a different era. Though much better than the boring metallics on most of todays cars (ok I have Black Metallic on mine!! :whistle:),

I miss those hero colours from the 70's, "Luna Mint", "Strike Me Pink", "The Lone O'Ranger", "Vitamin C"! :D

But Rich you still have that avocado bathroom suite with the pink furry bath matts to remind you of the 70's along with the Lava-lamp in the living room !

cheers Pat 

• Haha 7

Some more progress. I wasn't crazy about the plating on the BBS wheels, so I stripped it off in some bleach and then primed:

volvo_14

Then painted gloss black and then Alclad Chrome:

volvo_15

The rim still isn't as smooth as I'd like but it feels a bit less like toy chrome now. I've painted the centrelock gold and added a black wash to give it some more depth as well.

I've also finished the clearcoat and sanding and polishing of the body and am pretty happy with the result:

volvo_17

volvo_19

I've been sticking with the Mr Color GX100 Super Clear lacquer and I like how it has what feels like a scale thickness. I've been working on the interior as well and still have the detail painting to do on the body trim and door handles but it's coming along.

Martin.

• Like 12