1/72 T2 Hangar...at last! Blotz buildings

TEXANTOMCAT

Hi folks, 

Came across what is a new company to me and this item.... I've been after one of these for years and tried to persuade Amera to do one at Telford a few years ago...

The've done exactly what I had in mind too - you can buy the front section with doors, then middle sections to increase it to a full size hangar -add another door section and you're done!

https://blotz.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1607

I've ordered one as it will be tremendously useful even if I reclad some of the panels with corrugated plasticard.

Hope this is of interest to fellow 1/72 diorama wallahs (*NB not connected to seller)

TT 

• Like 8

One could have fun painting an weathering these!  Worth studying the remaining existing ones dotted around the country  I think Biggin Hill still has one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Interesting but a bit on the small side for true scale, though useful if you're looking for forced perspective (or aren't that bothered by true scale and want to save a bit of space!)

20mm equates to about 1:91, or roughly HO (1:87)

According to the wikipedia article on scales, 20mm is actually 1:80.5 scale. That seems a little exact and I don't know how this would be worked out. However if correct this would seem close enough to use these with 1/72nd scale aircraft. Would they not have varied in size in real life quite a bit? I guess the proof would be to see it with a model.

Adding to this I've just done some calculations. There is a surviving Type 2 hanger at Woodford Farm in Essex which is 36.9 metres in width. Given the equivalent measurement of 502mm for this model that equates to a scale of 1:73.5 which sounds pretty good for us.

I shall be buying one.

Edited by Pete F
added some calculations
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pete F said:

According to the wikipedia article on scales, 20mm is actually 1:80.5 scale.

According to the same article, it's also 1:91.44! I hadn't noticed the entry for 1:80.5

I suppose that is an inherent problem when you nominate a fixed hieght for figures, this will give a wide(ish) interpretation of scale based on height deviation of the population from the mean, whereas when modelling inanimate object we invariably go for a fixed common scale.

A 20mm figure at 1:72 scale would be about 4'9" at full size, at 1:80.5 they would be 5'3" and at 1:91.44 they would be 6'0"

1:87 scale (commonly accepted as  the scale for HO gauge, but let's not complicate things with the added complexity of the distance between two rails and it's relationship to scale) will give a 5'8.5" height for a 20mm figure.

The global average height for a male is around 5'6", (5'3" for  female), average heights also vary globally, and average heights are slowly increasing, so the average scale of a 20 mm figure will vary with it's sex, ethnicity and the era being represented.

At the end of the day though, as you say, the real question when you put your model next to it is "does it look too small?"

I wouldn’t worry too much about the “20mm” description; in my experience that can be a bit of a generality.

T2 Hangars (there were four sub-types) were all 118ft wide. According to the calculator on my phone, 502mm (see Blotz website) is equivalent to 118.58ft at 1/72 scale. That’s near enough for me to be tempted to buy! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered two hangar fronts and one centre section,which arrived today.Parts are beautifully made,and I look forward to assembling the kits.No instructions,but that will make building more interesting,

Bill.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Ordered two hangar fronts and one centre section,which arrived today.Parts are beautifully made,and I look forward to assembling the kits.No instructions,but that will make building more interesting,

Bill.

Hope you do a build thread on this. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baldeagle said:

Bill.

Hi Bill 

just waiting for mine! If you click on my link you’ll see there is a link by the item with instructions 🙂 easy to miss though 

ATB TT

Bill.

Hi all, 

Received my T2 front section today and very impressed, study, thick laser cut thin MDF should build well and be very strong. Be aware though that the front section only has a 10cm depth from the front of the baseplate to the rear or 5.5cm from the doors internally to the back. As such if you want anything more than a basic backdrop you'll need to purchase at least one middle section as well (which are cheaper) depending on the depth of the hangar you require. For me I will only have Wellington fuselages on trestles, lengthwise so it doesnt matter too much but if you actually want to house anything bigger than a single engined fighter you'll need several middle bits!

Very impressed!

ATB

TT

• Like 1