JA37D Viggen - takeoff!! Tarangus 1/48

exdraken

see what I dug out this afternoon :)

1pEsIB3.jpg

for some reason I could not find the resin canards/ fore planes replacements I should also have somewhere... maybe with the attack version kit?  - strange.... hope they will turn themselves in not too soon ;) 

I plan to do it in full burner take-off configuration just after lift off, as seen personally at Airpower airshow in 2003 at Zeltweg Airbase, Austria...

af9ba06fd189d4dbdd25eb6b39387ede.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/af/9b/a0/af9ba06fd189d4dbdd25eb6b39387ede.jpg

some reference photos, not mine, but I should have a similar one, of course lower quality and still analouge somwhere as well

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden-Air-Force/Saab-JA37D-Viggen/377751/L

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden-Air-Force/Saab-JA37D-Viggen/739958/L

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden-Air-Force/Saab-JA37D-Viggen/376792/L

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden-Air-Force/Saab-JA37D-Viggen/374781/L

decals are a bit of a problem for this scheme.... 

there is a great build in 1/72 here on BM,  going to take as much as possible...

if you have any idea, how to proceed with decals or custom masks of the belly insignia, would be very much appreciated!

6AxjDCp.jpg

not started as of yet, just glanced at the many sprues :) 

I am not gonna use all of the above stuff, not sure about the Pilot Replicas seated Viggen Pilot, somehow does not look like a tall, big Swede... 

2 sets of tyres----

flaps?

RAT! yes

pylons?...

cheers, 

Werner

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 16

welcome along Werner with a real beast in more way than one!!

You seem to have all the AM stuff you could want, if you find those canards.  I love the idea and that underside marking will look good though it won't be easy to replicate.

Gosh seeing all these Viggens almost makes me want to build another....could I be that silly! :D

Good luck with her, I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with her, especially with the scheme you've chosen.

....and if I do build another one it'll all be your fault! :rant:

• Like 2

Gosh... there will soon be more Viggen builds on here than I've had hot dinners! 

Not that I'm complaining about it, the more the merrier I say as the Viggen is truly a wonderful aircraft. 

I cannot wait to see how this 'take off' mode build turns out, make sure you add a video with full screaming afterburner sound once completed. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

Ohhh, the nice apache/Indian/ marked JA37Di.

I think @flarpen might know a bit more about this. There are no readily available decals as far as I know :(

Hi

As much as I know there are no decals for this scheme in 1/48 scale. So you are on your own in making decals or masks.

I do look forward to on how you make out as I'm also very keen on doing this scheme.

/Johan

• Like 1

Hi Werner,

I've been giving this some thought and maybe the way to tackle it is first up to treat the lower surface of the Viggen as a flat surface. So do the emblem to 1/48th same to with the Viggen underside, then if you can make to 2 one print you're set.

This will give you the cut lines for all the flat surfaces, so you can make masks for those. Apply only those on flat surfaces, that will give you the start and stop points for the rest which will need to be hand masked. It'll take a lot of work but I think it's doable that way and it should come out really nice.

A single flat decal won't work as it'll make the emblem oval in shape when I suspect it should be round when viewed straight on. You can see in that photo that where ever there's an almost vertical section then the marking is almost vertical as well.

I'd almost be tempted to give this ago myself but I have a tight schedule for now.

• Like 1

What a cool project! Was tempted to model my own Viggen kit in take-off or flight but reading your thoughts on the resin pilot and his lack of height is disappointing. Perhaps you can graft some parts onto another pilot figure of more appropriate stature?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Hi Werner,

I've been giving this some thought and maybe the way to tackle it is first up to treat the lower surface of the Viggen as a flat surface. So do the emblem to 1/48th same to with the Viggen underside, then if you can make to 2 one print you're set.

This will give you the cut lines for all the flat surfaces, so you can make masks for those. Apply only those on flat surfaces, that will give you the start and stop points for the rest which will need to be hand masked. It'll take a lot of work but I think it's doable that way and it should come out really nice.

A single flat decal won't work as it'll make the emblem oval in shape when I suspect it should be round when viewed straight on. You can see in that photo that where ever there's an almost vertical section then the marking is almost vertical as well.

I'd almost be tempted to give this ago myself but I have a tight schedule for now.

thanks a lot for your thoughts, Rich!

I am not sure yet if masks or decals for the belly emblem.... but you are completely right,  just using the round emblem will not work...

luckily, most is flat, just parts of the center need to be stretched, a lot where the cannon fairing is of course....

found the Maestro canards with lowered flaps today.... they where strangely placed with lots of resin ordnance from AM.....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Col. said:

What a cool project! Was tempted to model my own Viggen kit in take-off or flight but reading your thoughts on the resin pilot and his lack of height is disappointing. Perhaps you can graft some parts onto another pilot figure of more appropriate stature?

lack of height, lets first have a closer look, together with an apt seat(kit one? the CMK one has ha harness molded on...) and then decide if I need to adapt it! I was just expecting something bigger.... I also expect to just use the kit cockpit parts, as is will be closed for sure when taking off ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ok, 

some plastic has be cut!

:)

but the Su-22 needed some progress before, sorry ;)

what shell I say? a strange design! the plastic and sprues remind me of the KP Fitter I did years ago... the detail is great though!

HU8s3Uy.jpg

v2PI1A9.jpg

jQu7fCo.jpg

zGn12oV.jpg

how will that look when finished???

0MqETf7.jpg

next step: cockpit and Pilot Replicas Pilot test sitting ;)

• Like 7

regarding the seat and pilot:

all in all it does not look all too bad:

vuSRiF4.jpg

the Pilor Replicas pilot sits rather nicely on the Tarangus seat. still I think it is not oversized....

it will do ;)

UA0Vs2U.jpg

it is absolutely nicely detailed  :thumbsup:, I just need to do it justice

LeWTGsF.jpg

that is how it looks inside the plane:

VvlSvsc.jpg

dTkJC3o.jpg

sdSZtnh.jpg

what do you think?

cheers, skôl, Werner

• Like 8

Think you'll be doing a bit of test fitting and fettling as this one progresses Werner. The pilot does look good and made to fit; is the seat sitting slightly high?

• Like 1

:rofl2:

I'm sorry, that gap is one of the easy ones!!! Unfortunately all did look good for some of the test fits I did, it sort goes off once you start to glue things in place!

That pilot does look good, but how is he going to go with the AM seat? Are you going to use that now or keep the kit one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve always liked the Viggen, so I’ll follow if I may.

One of the best pictures I’ve taken, I think, was a Viggen taking off from Farnborough in 1976. He took off downwind unannounced, having taxied behind the trees to the runway. I had a manual focus Canon SLR at the time with no power winder, and just had time for three shots as he roared past me, from just lifting to a low turn to port with the gear coming up. I was particularly pleased that the aircraft was in focus in the third shot with the background ( Red Arrows lined up in front of the black sheds ) blurred. I used slide film at the time and now have the necessary gizmo to convert slides to print but have not yet found the slides amongst the several thousand in boxes in the loft. Sorry for the long post.

John

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I’ve always liked the Viggen, so I’ll follow if I may.

One of the best pictures I’ve taken, I think, was a Viggen taking off from Farnborough in 1976. He took off downwind unannounced, having taxied behind the trees to the runway. I had a manual focus Canon SLR at the time with no power winder, and just had time for three shots as he roared past me, from just lifting to a low turn to port with the gear coming up. I was particularly pleased that the aircraft was in focus in the third shot with the background ( Red Arrows lined up in front of the black sheds ) blurred. I used slide film at the time and now have the necessary gizmo to convert slides to print but have not yet found the slides amongst the several thousand in boxes in the loft. Sorry for the long post.

John

no issue with your long post! very much appreciated :) and a strong reminder that I have to do something here as well!

do hope that you will find your slide soon! ;)  and post it here on BM! I have to do the same with mine.. quite sure though that my memory plays tricks on me, and that all the above ones are way way better! :devil: