Life after Fly: 28 Sqn Venom FB4 (Classic Airframes)

hendie

9 hours ago, hendie said:

possibly a kit bash of AMG's Hawker Hart into a 'Art wiv an 'ook -

An Osprey! Now there's a nice idea,  just saying......

Venom is looking very impressive indeed.

Terry

• Like 1

That was quick!!!!!!:surprised:

You needed a "straight forward" build after the Wessie!!!

A little fun came from the tail alignement andthe detail you added makes the difference!

Nice paint work too!!!!

Look forward to see the next update!

11 hours ago, hendie said:

I have learned a few things as the build progressed.  Namely, put the Vampire to the back of the stash and try and build everything else first.

LOL!! It's funny 'cos it's true...

22 hours ago, giemme said:

She definitely looks smooth! Impressive paint job :worthy:

Ciao

16 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Going with the theme here, Smoooth!

15 hours ago, perdu said:

yummy

Thanks folks, yes, I am pleased with the paint job.  Not so much the model.

14 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Terry

An Osprey?  nah... sticking with my 28 Sqn theme

14 hours ago, JasonC said:

Great work Hendie. What primer and paint are you using?

Jason, I use Alclad grey primer (I prime everything - always).  I tried their black primer on the Wessex but it kept peeling off so I'm back to my tried and trusted grey primer.  I've been using it for years and it always does a good job. 

The colory stuff is all Testors Model Master.  I use mainly acrylics but had to switch to enamel for the Grey and the PRU Blue.  The dark green is still acrylic though. I like the tone of Model Master RAF Dark Green.

14 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow, what a fantastic job, you have created a wonderful model, especially considering all the hurdles you have had to overcome. Looking absolutely lovely with some paint on.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris - it's looking a bit better after today's foray into paint land.

14 hours ago, Massimo said:

That was quick!!!!!!:surprised:

You needed a "straight forward" build after the Wessie!!!

A little fun came from the tail alignement andthe detail you added makes the difference!

Nice paint work too!!!!

Look forward to see the next update!

You're right Massimo.  After Fly I really needed a quick win.  This is definitely not one of my best but if nothing else, it's got me back into the swing of things now.

12 hours ago, Bell209 said:

LOL!! It's funny 'cos it's true...

Never a truer word spoken in jest as they say.

8 hours ago, Graham T said:

Brilliant work on the u/c!

Thanks Graham. It was pretty straightforward work though - just some tubes cut to size and a bit of drilling here and there.

Coloring in. Yes, that's the fun part, or one of the fun parts at least.  However before you can color in, you have to pay your dues to the Gods of Masking. They can be demanding masters they can.  Masking this up for the PRU Blue took me well over two hours. Those twin booms were a real pain in the boom. And two of them at that.

P2230001.jpg

I decided to chance my arm this afternoon and decided to try masking just where I needed it.  That of course meant that I had to try and be in control of, and reasonably accurate with the airbrush.  Not one of my forte's.

I opted to have the camouflage wrap around the leading edge ever so slightly - mainly because it save a load of hassle trying to figure out how to mask the intakes.  Whether it's accurate or not is neither here nor there.  Just finding a photo of a 28 Sqn Venom is hard enough - try finding one that you can use to determine paint demarcation lines!  HA!

P2230002.jpg

Just to be on the safe side I did tape some polythene around the nose area -just look at all that unprotected paintwork!  Living on the edge that is.

P2230003.jpg

The MM PRU Blue sprayed very nicely.  It's not a color I've used before but I do like the color.  (I couldn't be bothered masking the wheel wells - I'll hand paint them later - carefully!

P2230004.jpg

The masking did it's job.  I should have mentioned that I used Aizu tape (1mm) to lay down the edges, then followed that up with Tamiya 6mm or 10mm depending on what I was covering. The Aizu is lovely to use - you can get it to wrap around compound curves quite easily to give a clean edge, and just block in with the heavier duty tapes later.

P2230006.jpg

All that hard work with the tail booms paid off in the end. Nice neat lines.  I thought they were going to be problematic but weren't too bad at all.

P2230008.jpg

There were only a few very minor touch ups required, such as the exhaust and a couple of other small areas.

After all that was done I had to mask up again to get the rudders painted black - Black Rudii

P2230010.jpg

Since I was on a roll, I decided to keep going and get all the major areas painted today - that meant I had to mask up yet again in order to paint the wing tanks. This time MM Insignia Yellow.

These were a pain to paint - the tip kept drying on the airbrush and I'd only get a few light passes before having to clean the tip again.

What flow improvers/retarders do you guys use?  I currently have Vallejo flow improver but I'm not impressed with it at all.  If I put more than a few drops in the paint it seems to separate the pigments so I can only get away with two or three drops and it does not seem to improve the flow one iota. 

I was looking at Winsor & Newton but there appears to be more than one acrylic flow improver and I wasn't sure which one to get - any suggestions?

P2230011.jpg

Anyways, - yellow tips

P2230012.jpg

With a nice clean demarcation line.

P2230014.jpg

Zoom zoom around the room

P2230015.jpg

There's still a few bits to paint, such as the tail boom bump stops, wheel bays, lights to add, stickers to stick, and leading edge slats, u/c doors etc, but I've broken the back of this Venom I think.

To keep the mojo topped up I stuck the undercarriage in place to see what it looked like... (need to paint the tires again)

P2230016.jpg

Now remember that lead weight that I stuck in the nose before I closed up?  That BIG lead weight that I could only just fit in there with no room for anything else?  Well, guess what?

It's a tail sitter!!!!!!

P2230018.jpg

Oh yes, it's a tail sitter.  If anyone ever makes one of these and gets it to sit on the undercarriage as God intended - please let me know how you did it, cos there's no way I could get any more weight in there

P2230020.jpg

That's about it for this episode folks.  I'll leave you with these parting shots just cos I took 'em

P2230019.jpg

From the front it looks darned decent.

P2230021.jpg

I'll let that paint cure for a day or two then get a gloss coat on it ready for the transfers.  

toodle pip and all that

• Like 25

Migods Alan how bl..dy frustrating and such a shame because she is really gorgeous

When I take my Gannet and Catalina to shows to display I have to hold them tail high so the Liquid Gravity gets to roll all the way forward

When the little lead dots start pouring out I know I am ready to put 'em on the table, damned irritating for me too

It is a good job that you have been displaying 28 Squadron aircraft on their own base, looks like the answer for the Venom too

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hendie said:

An Osprey?  nah... sticking with my 28 Sqn theme

Ah, my mistake. An Audax of course then, and there's me thinking you were about to go all Naval on us!

That PRU blue looks the business, and the yellow tips are fine also. I've had similar oddities occurring with flow products in Acrylics, sometimes turning to a gloppy gunk! Odd about the Alclad black vs grey. Never had black peel off, but have had cases of it never setting. The art/science of model paints can be a complex one with all the options we now have available.

That's a b****r re the nose weight, but as Bill says the base solution will sort it.

Great stuff.

Terry

• Like 1

I use the W&N flow improver when I’m using acrylics (which isn’t often at the moment; Ark is largely a Jamie-fest).  But I wasn’t aware that they did more than one type, so I can’t help you choose! 

Venom looking as good as expected.  She’s no Sea Venom, but she’s still gorgeous.  That lovely Vampire with hints of the Vixen to come evolution.  Yum.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

She looks the business. The paintwork looks spot on.

I built two (nowhere near your standard, the second was so I could throw the first in the bin) and neither sat on all three. I got my CA Vampire to sit properly  with lots of weight and over filed flats in the main wheel tyres. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hendie said:

Oh yes, it's a tail sitter.  If anyone ever makes one of these and gets it to sit on the undercarriage as God intended - please let me know how you did it, cos there's no way I could get any more weight in there

micro rare earth magnet?   I got some on ebay that are 2 wide, 3mm high, so would fit into the nosewheel.  Needs putting on a metal base, but they have quite a strong force.   Can't make any claims it will work,  but  they quote this 

Max Pull*: 145 g

Max Vertical Hold*: 29 g

*Holding force values are calculated for this size and shape of magnet. It represents a maximum value for comparative purposes. There are many factors that will influence real world results so please contact us for advice.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tiny-magnets-2x3-mm-N52-neodymium-disc-small-neo-craft-rod-magnet-2mm-dia-x-3mm/162028306916

sure there is something same/similar available in the US.

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hello Hendie,

I will drill on the lower part of the tip tank, pour a bit of white glue and some tiny fishing leads...

Just my penny,

or may be using that same procedure in the wheel well, it will be less visible..

But knowing you, I think that you will tame it at least !!

Great work on the painting...

On 2/23/2020 at 10:14 AM, Terry1954 said:

Terry

Hello Terry...

Why do I buy a Hawker hart ??

Turning it into an Osprey obviously...

So, I need 2 hawker Hart ?? 

Far less obvious, I will have to smuggle it in my collection...

Black ops CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Lovely paint job hendie, very nice indeed!

I never put any nose weights in my jets and they never tail sit. I stick them all to bases! Makes them easier to handle - and you don't have to paint the wheel wells either (not that I'd ever do such a thing...!! :) )

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 24/02/2020 at 09:28, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I use the W&N flow improver when I’m using acrylics

Me too. I use it with Humbrol acrylics when I'm doing internals etc - shake the bottle, drop of flow improver in the lid, mix it about.

You can see the surface tension break up as soon as you drop it in.

Nice stuff :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Mission Impossible? Is CC really Tom Cruise?

No CC is not Tom Cruise, he's just a very naughty boy!

She looks lovely Hendie.

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

I've just had a thought re the tail sitting Hendie. Your Venom can carry drop tanks. Why not fit the tanks and fill the forward part of them with extra weight. As long as the weight is forward of the centre of gravity, it will help the existing nose weight.

Martian 👽

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Beautiful work Hendie

I'm blaming you for inspiring me to dig out my CA Vampire 😀

Hope you don't mind but I'll be stealing sorry adapting some of your techniques for my build and probably be adding a few 'Greeblies' of my own!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

• Thanks 1