Life after Fly: 28 Sqn Venom FB4 (Classic Airframes)

hendie

Wow hendie, what an update! Great stuff…

My comments (there has been wine after Scout Shooting)…

31 minutes ago, hendie said:

Ta Ced.  proper what?

Proper. Just proper. I might use the local dialect and say 'proper job' but 'proper' is enough.

32 minutes ago, hendie said:

Mr Dissolved Putty which might well be my new favorite modeling go to for filling light gaps and general scratch hider

Hmmm, I sense a slight addiction developing - careful there; fill responsibly, other fillers are available.

33 minutes ago, hendie said:

Seamless almost.

Seamless exactly!

33 minutes ago, hendie said:

It's all been MDP'd

It's been what?

34 minutes ago, hendie said:

What is wrong with me?

Nothing, it happens to the best of use at 'our age' :) 

34 minutes ago, hendie said:

I really must order some more of those drills

Ah, now then. TheBaron put me on to the 'these don't break as easily as the ones with rings on'. I highly recommend them; they bite will and don't snap all the time.

Stupidly I didn't record the exact seller details and eBay won't let me look at orders past the last two years (yes, they last that long)

Try looking for '10pcs 0.3-1.2mm Carbide Steel PCB CNC Dremel Jewelry Micro Engraving Drill Bits' - you won't be disappointed (I hope)

35 minutes ago, hendie said:

I swear I looked in that lid before and it wasn't there.  The gods are playing with me.

They are. Again :) 

35 minutes ago, hendie said:

Until the morrow dear friends.  Keep a grip!

Fnarr! :wicked:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Page 4 and the thing is almost done  ???

The basic pieces may be stuck together CC, but there's about 6 months of micromeshing sitting there glaring at me

2 hours ago, Andwil said:

I’ve had a couple of those days in recent weeks, dropping, breaking, knocking over and spilling things.  Infuriating.

You mean I'm going to spend tomorrow spilling things now?  crap!

1 hour ago, CedB said:

It's been what?

MDP'd - Mr Dissolved Putty'd  (got fed up typing it out)

Ta for the tip on the drill bits Ced - those may be the same one's I bought last time.

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Scout Shooting

that phrase never fails to raise a smile - thanks!

• Like 4

Alright: the seam are ... seamless, so great job :clap: 

Drills: it's not you, they are very fragile, they snap if you breathe too hard - still they are very good for their task (I'll soon have to order more myself ... :banghead: )

Dropping things: I'm afraid that's you :shrug: but days like that happen to anyone. My tactic is to walk away from the bench at the first sign of drop-syndrome .... 

Ciao

On 08/02/2020 at 03:00, hendie said:

And where did these rumours start? and how would one know?

I believe they began shortly after the "Battle Pants" incident at Telford, aided in no small part by Lady M.jr who, I am given to believe, ensured that the pictures went viral.

49063937577-2ac49d7d81-b.jpg

Martian 👽

• Haha 7

53 minutes ago, hendie said:

Why does he have rectangular buttocks?

The answer is known only to Lady Melchett and Captain Darling. Apparently, even Baldrick has not had the nerve to get to the bottom of that one. (Pun most definitely intended) Perhaps we ought to ask the General himself. Hey! @general melchett, Hendie wants to know why you have square buttocks.

Waiting in Apprehension of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

ensured that the pictures went viral.

I thought I'd picked up something rather nasty....

Hey! general melchett, Hendie wants to know why you have square buttocks.

I'd like to say it is the consequence of years of square-bashing while out in the murderous heat of the Punjab but truth is I got Darling to stuff a couple of copies of King and Country down my plus-fours in case the Martianess took it upon herself to issue me with a sound thrashing while I was undergoing my fitting.... Worryingly he seemed to enjoy the task a little too much spending more time than was necessary, 'flower arranging' as he put it...

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1
  • Haha 14

There you go Hendie, you had to know didn't you? You will never be able to look at your Venom's jet pipe in the same way ever again!

Martian 👽

• Haha 8

13 hours ago, giemme said:

Dropping things: I'm afraid that's you :shrug: but days like that happen to anyone. My tactic is to walk away from the bench at the first sign of drop-syndrome .... 

It get worse Giemme, read on...

8 hours ago, perdu said:

Are you really certain you need to know?

not any more!

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

There is a horrible inevitability to days like that.

at the risk of repeating myself... it gets worse

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Fnarr! :wicked:

With your Skeeter thread I thought you'd have been all fnarr'd out today Ced.  Glad to see you putting the effort in.

I spent about an hour micromeshing everything today to see where I was regarding lumps, bumps, and carbuncles.  Everything looked good so moving on, it was the turn of the rotors  wings.  They need to get fitted at some point. I figured now was a good a time as any.  Regardless of how I approach this there's a mountain of sanding to get done - whether it's on the lone parts, or as an assembly.  Since all the joints (of which there are many) will have to be filled and sanded I reckoned I may as well fling it together and let the sand-fest begin.

A dry fit of the port wing showed that a little filler will be required, but nothing too drastic. When I say drastic, it's all relative - nothing too drastic compared to what's to come

P2090002.jpg

Like the starboard wing for instance.   Gaping chasms we have.  This might take some thinking.

I could line the intake up, then fill the gap tween fuselage and wing. Alternatively, I could align the wing for best fit then fill the chasm between that intake and the fuselage.  But from the front it's going to look... wait for it... all cattywampus. 

It is isn't it? It's going to look all kinds of jacked up. 

I contemplated razor sawing down the side of the intake and bending and forcing that part to close up, but then the intakes are going to look asymmetric. Cattywampus in fact.  Maybe more drastic action is required.  Lets get one wing on first and see where we are.

P2090001.jpg

I considered jigs and such but since there's no positive locations anywhere on this thing, just getting it to sit still would have been a major task in itself. I decided just to glue the wing on and let it lie where it wanted.  Life's too short.

The port wing went on without too much of a fight but lining the top edge up left a small step on the lower edge - more filling and sanding to come here then. Fixable though.

P2090003.jpg

Now for t'other wing.

Now when we're talking about drastic action, we're talking this kind of drastic action!  Something I would have been terrified to do several years ago but now a mixture of caffeine, bravado, and stupidity in equal portions and off we go.

P2090004.jpg

I lined the cut up so that it was behind the resin intake - I didn't want to have to fix that too!

A few minutes of butchery later

P2090005.jpg

At least now the intakes meet the fuselage on both sides.

P2090010.jpg

Looking at that photo, the trailing edge of the wing filleting into the fuselage looks a bit suspect too. Must revisit that later.

But how does it look overall after all that cutting and shutting?

Do you think I might need a touch of filler here?

P2090008.jpg

From topside it doesn't look too bad. Then from the front, at least it maintains some form of symmetry. ('ish!)

P2090009.jpg

Now, how to deal with that little gap we have in the wing.

Enter the sword of hendocles!

P2090011.jpg

Initial thoughts were just to fill it with sheet styrene, but being such a large chasm, I wanted whatever I used to fill the gap to sand roughly the same as the surrounding plastic, so it made sense just to use some of the kit plastic.

A piece of runner was selected and sanded flat on two sides - tapered and scraped to suit, then glued in place.

P2090013.jpg

Top and bottom. Hhmmnnn, I see more sanding in my future.

P2090014.jpg

With the wings on (barely), it was the turn of the tail booms.  After the debacle with the wings, my hopes weren't high. Taping them in place showed a few issues.

Never having attempted a twin boomer before I wasn't sure how to approach this - should I do both booms together?  That seemed a recipe for disaster as trying to line up both booms in 3 axes while maintaining parallelism with only two arms was not going to go well. I just knew that - call it modelers intuition!

P2090016.jpg

I therefore opted to stick only one in place, try and get it lined up as best I could - then align the second boom to the first. That seemed like a logical plan of sorts.

As always, things were never that easy.  The butt join was terrible.  There's not a flat edge on this kit anywhere.  I ended up shaving the insides of the tail booms so they could fit over the male portion of their counterparts on the wings, then for additional security glued in a section of square plastic rod - hopefully to give me some assistance in lining things up.

P2090017.jpg

If only I had another pair of eyes.  Literally!  When I look at this with my right eye, it looks straight. If I use my left eye, it looks off kilter.  If I align it using my left eye, then when I view it with my right eye - that's off kilter too. 

Oh well, I can always sand it straight.

P2090018.jpg

Anyways, back when the glue on the wings was curing I took the time to drill and pin the tail surfaces. 

The thinking part of my brain told me that the best way to line this up was to use the tail surface to align the booms. After all, there was no point in aligning the booms only to find that the tail feathers wouldn't fit.  That'd just be silly.

P2090019.jpg

Errrrrrr wot's going on here then?  

Surprise!  The tail booms are different lengths. Oh whoopedy dooh.

P2090020.jpg

several eons of sanding later and it started to look a bit better. Again, it's all relative.

P2090021.jpg

Eventually after much sanding, filing and cursing I got to a point where I felt the two booms weren't a million miles from each other - and went for it.

P2090022.jpg

Well, it seems I forgot to take a photo from top view showing that it is nearly square. My eyes gave me the same issues I had with just the booms.  One eye told me it was square and the other just poo poo'd my carefully positioning system.

Even getting those tail fins to be upright and parallel was a fight I don't want to entertain again. (I may be leaving the CA Vampire for a while yet - I have a feeling this is supposed to be the better kit of the two. Dammit)

P2090023.jpg

No sooner had I started gluing the second boom in place that something else got dropped.

Not me this time :penguin:  No, not me.

It was el terrible - SWMBO

My wife called me to tell me she had dropped her car key. 

:fraidnot:

While she was out on the horse

:rage:

Trail riding.

:wall:

But it's not just a simple car key. Oh no!  It's one o' them fancy schmancy it's not a key as we know it Jim,  it's a transmitter key for the push button start on her car. 

SWMBO and a few others went back out on the trail, but of course, couldn't find it anywhere.  So I had to drop everything and drive out to the ranch to give her my spare key

P2090024.jpg

The glue hadn't fully cured yet so I just had to prop the Venom up as best as I could then dash out to rescue Mrs H.   I shall find what twisted corkscrewed Venomous piece of plastic awaits me later.

But now I'm off to google for a spare key.  Last time I looked they were about five hundred bucks.  :jump_fire::jump_fire::jump_fire::suicide: 

• Like 13
  • Sad 9

An epic catch up there Mr H. Are you sure Texas isn't suffering from a gravity storm? I know the North pole is wandering but that's just silly.

Mind you, the storm here yesterday dropped out one of our fence panels, so who am I to talk?

And it's been an interesting lesson in symmetry this morning. I'm sure I built one of these years ago in Saudi. I had similar problems.

As for @CedB Scout shooting? Young chaps or old Helicopters? Wine won't absolve the guilt you know!

• Haha 8

Yes, epic is the word, Hendie :frantic: :clap:

Those tail booms were way out of wack! Great job in straightening them out.

Ciao

PS: horse riding with car keys should be banned

:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Fully understand...

Late Friday went to walk the dog, in the woods, 10Kms from home, She has brand new specs... 600€

She let her spec on the car roof... And hit the road...:wall:

Saturday in the morning, we went to search for it, 

Did'nt found it...

Had a strong argument because... Anyway... It's my fault....

Try to figure it... if one can...

Super week end it was...

Great job on the tail boom Hendie !

Congrats !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 3
  • Sad 3

Well, 'Now That's What I Call Modelling #63' - that'll teach it hendie, great work :) 

Lego, where's the Lego? If you get a set with a base (you can buy them separately) big enough for your big ones (fnaar!) the blocks also provide alignment vertically and horizontally.

Make sure the set has sloping 'roof bits' so you can slide them in and out for precise alignment.

Have a look at the classic range - worth the small investment IMHO.

Lost key? Should you get her one of those 'beeps when you whistle' key rings? Just the weight will remind her to keep them safe!

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

As for @CedB Scout shooting? Young chaps or old Helicopters? Wine won't absolve the guilt you know!

Young chaps* Pete, but I guess you knew that…

* Scouting is gender neutral and inclusive, oh yes! :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It's amazing what you find when you look. I was searching for a Classic Airframes build - I have a couple of examples in my stash you see and wanted a sneak preview of what is in store for me when I eventually deem to go bigger scale and try this much talked of marque - and I saw the words Venom and then Hendie, and I just had to take a look. The single seat Venom is to my eye more attractive than its older cousin the Vampire (sorry whoever that upsets) and in general exudes such an air of sleekness IMHO. A beautiful looking combat aircraft.

A very nice build so far and less stressful than a Fly Wessex I would imagine?

Terry

PS For the curious out there, the two CA kits I have are a Meteor FR9 and a Supermarine Attacker, both 1/48. Compared to the Airfix 1/48 Meteor which I'm building as a commission build for a friend, these kits look a bit "scary"!!!

• Like 1

It's probably seen as not good form, but I'm going to quote my first post in this thread;

On 19/01/2020 at 22:53, keefr22 said:

Oh good, I've got one of these so shall watch avidly to see what I can learn (hopefully not just 'sell it on ebay'....!!)

My sale listing is just about ready to post....!!

What a dreadful kit. And I've got a Vampire too....

Keith, walking away, shaking head, muttering 'life is definitely far too short'......

• Haha 2
  • Sad 3

On 2/9/2020 at 9:29 PM, Martian Hale said:

I believe they began shortly after the "Battle Pants" incident at Telford, aided in no small part by Lady M.jr who, I am given to believe, ensured that the pictures went viral.

49063937577-2ac49d7d81-b.jpg

Martian 👽

What the actual (expletive deleted)?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

What the actual (expletive deleted)?

You were fortunate to be safely the other side of the planet. A whole team of trauma councilors had to be parachuted in following the said incident. Even your friendly neighbourhood Martian was reduced to a wibbling heap by the incident. Fret ye not though, word is that our esteemed General is planning a tour of inspection down under in the very near future. He may even bring along the Lady who designed his outfit.  Aren't you lucky!

Wibble 👽

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, hendie said:

took a days vacation form work. 4 hours of sanding so far.

more to go

urghhhhhhh

You really know how to live it up don't you?

• Haha 5