Life after Fly: 28 Sqn Venom FB4 (Classic Airframes)

hendie

Very nice work hendie, especially the pipes (fnaar!) :) 

6 hours ago, hendie said:
On 01/02/2020 at 23:47, CedB said:

Maybe :) 

Thanks Ced.  You know that you are going to have to delve into the rotary world again quite soon  don't you?

Maybe. I do seem to have 'some more' in the stash thanks to kind BMers; Adrian sent me a Belvedere and Bill a Skeeter (which is scary).

They're on the side of the bench, tempting me…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, hendie said:

After finding next to nothing I started thinking... what does the back end of a Goblin engine look like?

Sat here at work, an overabundance of caution prevents me from Googling "Goblin back end".

(Ghost surely?)

• Haha 2

Some excellent results on filling and fencing. :thumbsup2:

As for that tailpipe well, proctology's loss is modelling's gain...

10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

But not quite as dark as @general melchett's is rumoured to be.

I believe no light escapes it and that many have lost their minds contemplating it.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, TheBaron said:

I believe no that light escapes it and many have lost their minds contemplating it.

Never has the term "Black Hole" been more aptly applied .

Martian 👽

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Great work on those wing fences. 

You had a bottle of Mr Dissolved Putty all the way through that fly build and never opened it??? I've used nearly a whole bottle, and I suspect most of that went into / onto the Chinook. Fab stuff very easy to place into the right spot, and surprisingly tough when it's dry.

I believe no light escapes it and that many have lost their minds contemplating it.

Never has the term "Black Hole" been more aptly applied .

I put that down to an unfortunate side effect of Baldrick's home 'cooking'...oddly, my mind, such as it is, has also been adversely affected by the gravitational pull of my own wormhole. So strong is the effect that apparently I'm going to have an Event Horizon some time next week, four months ago.

Mr Milligan along with Ivor Cutler would have made for a very surreal after non tea

Add to those two my favourite after dinner speaker, the indomitable, though sadly late, Mr Viv Stanshall,  singer-songwriter, musician, author, poet, wit and fully accredited lunatic.

Lovely work on the Venom hendie, particularly the wing fences and engine exhaust. Look forward to progress.

• Haha 6

He certainly does Pete, as well as Bob Calvert's Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters (mostly Hawkwind members, with Brian Eno and Arthur Brown)...but if you want a real treat listen to Sir Henry at Rawlinson End....home of Sir Henry, Mrs E and Old Scrotum. First heard it courtesy of John Peel, back in the early seventies and have been listening to it ever since...accounts for a lot really! Not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy it.

Sorry for the drift hendie, back to the Venom...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 2/3/2020 at 1:45 AM, limeypilot said:

Lovely brass work as usual, and I'm sure there won't be too many around who will be able to look inside the tailpipe and say knowingly "that's wrong" (if it even is). Especially if it never leaves your display cabinet!

Ian

If anyone feels the urge to look up my tailpipe then they get what's coming to them.

On 2/3/2020 at 2:27 AM, CedB said:

Very nice work hendie, especially the pipes (fnaar!) :) 

Maybe. I do seem to have 'some more' in the stash thanks to kind BMers; Adrian sent me a Belvedere and Bill a Skeeter (which is scary).

They're on the side of the bench, tempting me…

Been following your skeeter build avidly Ced even tho' I don't always have the time to post. Oh, and your spitfire build.  And the ME410 build. And Sunderland. FW190. Heinkel, Whitely, Dambusters.  Dammit man, you need a forum all to yourself. I just can't keep up.

On 2/3/2020 at 5:41 AM, Hamden said:

Very nice progress

Roger

Ta Roger

On 2/3/2020 at 5:42 AM, JasonC said:

Sat here at work, an overabundance of caution prevents me from Googling "Goblin back end".

(Ghost surely?)

Yes Ghost. Thanks for the correction Jason.  It's got a bit lighter since I last posted so we should be good going forward

On 2/3/2020 at 6:33 AM, giemme said:

Thanks for the SBS, Hendie :thumbsup: 

Ingenious engine solution, BTW :worthy:  :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giemme - I hope it provided what you were looking for

On 2/4/2020 at 4:32 PM, Martian Hale said:

But not quite as dark as @general melchett's is rumoured to be.

Martian 👽

And where did these rumours start? and how would one know?

On 2/4/2020 at 5:03 PM, TheBaron said:

Tunnel vision eh?

On 2/4/2020 at 5:13 PM, chrislowe said:

You had a bottle of Mr Dissolved Putty all the way through that fly build and never opened it??? I've used nearly a whole bottle, and I suspect most of that went into / onto the Chinook. Fab stuff very easy to place into the right spot, and surprisingly tough when it's dry.

I'm pretty addled in my dotage.  The reason I think I didn't need much filler on the Fly kit is that there really wasn't that much kit in the build - I ended up making most of the stuff myself

On 2/5/2020 at 7:50 AM, general melchett said:

Add to those two my favourite after dinner speaker, the indomitable, though sadly late, Mr Viv Stanshall,  singer-songwriter, musician, author, poet, wit and fully accredited lunatic.

Lovely work on the Venom hendie, particularly the wing fences and engine exhaust. Look forward to progress.

I remember reading an article on Mr Stanshall back in the mid 70's.  He was carrying out some "research" on the London Underground to observe the reactions of passengers. I remember one "experiment" was him sitting, dressed in a big raincoat reading a newspaper.  He had a false arm holding one side of the paper and his unused real arm would sneak out from under the coat and start pilfering stuff from the passenger next to him (who obviously was in on the prank).  The other one I remember was Stanhall standing by the exit door, and as the doors started to close, he would smash a couple of stink bombs (remember them?) and leap out the door before any passengers could assault him, then he would watch their reactions as the carriage pulled away. 

I remember listening to Rawlinsons End on the John Peel show on many occasions.

Drift?   I see no drift!

But I do see a part started Venom lurking on the benchtop.  

Starting with the easiest task,  I sanded back the filler around the nose.  It looks okay but I won't know until I've colored it in a bit, which should be coming shortly, but first I have to fill that gaping gap underneath.

P2070001.jpg

So instead I went to the wings, or rather wing, singular. A dry fit showed a problem - one which you can't see in this picture due to my lack of decent photography skills... inside that resin intake is the outtake. Or would it be the throughtake?  Anyway, the bit that goes from the intake into the fuselage. What I am trying to say is that the resin part has a hole where you can see right through to the plastic of the fuselage. No likey.

P2070002.jpg

That meant I got to use one of my handy "not quite sure what size hole I'm going to need but one of these will do" tools. Actually, it's very handy for making larger holes in plastic and very controllable by hand

P2070003.jpg

See?   Easy.

P2070004.jpg

Another dry fit showed me that the hole was in the right location but I could see the thickness of the plastic through the intake, so out came the half round file and the unwanted material on the backside of the hole was removed in a few seconds

P2070006.jpg

The intake vanes were a bit of a bugger to fit - tiny pieces of plastic which didn't mate up to the intake opening so it was back to that old swipe the file, fit the bit, swipe the file, fit the bit game.  The pieces were also a tad on the thick side but once they were in place, I managed to drag the back side of a blade up and down each side to give them a much thinner appearance more akin to the 1:1 counterparts

P2070008.jpg

Then found that from the side they looked all cattywampus.  Some carving was required and they now look the part.

P2070011.jpg

Dry fit again and the view from the intake is much improved.  However looking at this photo, I don't like the round hole - I doubt very much if the 1:1 just has a nice neat circular ducting in there.  And after a quick google I find that the 1:1 has pretty much just that... a nice neat round hole in there. Bigger though but that's an easy fix and the vanes will not present any problem when enlarging that hole.

P2070015.jpg

Talking of holes, I really wanted to get that gaping hole in the belly fixed so I can get some primer on this - that meant I had no option but to go ahead and fit the engine.  

Although I had been fretting about this the solution turned out to be rather simple.  In order to maintain concentricity between the exhaust and the surrounding airframe, I used 3 plastic spacers cut from scrap sheet to hold the exhaust in position.  Epoxy glue was delivered through the hole in the belly surprisingly without dribbling any on the fuselage itself.

P2070010.jpg

Fifteen minutes later and removing the spacers showed that they had done their job.   The biggest problem I have now is trying not to damage that exhaust sticking out the back end.  That resin is so fragile now that I thinned it out. 

I'm bound to damage it somehow.

P2070012.jpg

At last I could now proceed to close up the remaining gap in the fuselage although it would have been nicer had the parts fitted properly.  It seemed that you could only get one surface to fit at any given time. The other three surfaces all wanted to go off and do their own thing.  I'll just have to beat them into submission.

The more I see those 4 danglies hanging off there the more I dislike them.  I have been unable to find any photos of those danglies anywhere.  Are these just a figment of CA's design department?

P2070013.jpg

After the one edge had been glued, more of the magic sticky was applied and a clamp brought in to coerce the offending edge to comply

P2070016.jpg

I've spared you the hours of sanding that took place, and will also be taking place at the next session, and the session after that.  There was hours of it there was. Bloody boring that sanding is. I dislike it intensely. 

ooohh quick question before I go:  Does anyone have information on the underwing pylons for the FB4?  A few of the photos show 28 Sqn Venoms with pylons but no stores.  The CA kit only provides rather naff looking rockets

• Like 20

8 hours ago, hendie said:

inside that resin intake is the outtake. Or would it be the throughtake? 

I've a hazy recollection that in the SV manual somewhere it refers to a similar structure as the 'intake tunnel', though it's possibly with the state of my brain these days that I'm confusing it with an article about moles on Gardener's Questiontime...

Actually, it's very handy for making larger holes in plastic and very controllable by hand

P2070003.jpg

Admit it Alan, in your mind's eye you were really rescuing a trapped pilot the whole time weren't you?

198?cb=20150209123118

In order to maintain concentricity between the exhaust and the surrounding airframe

...I shall be nicking that elegant solution for the Avons.

All that patient work on intakes and vanes etc. is really paying-off as this comes together - lovely work on the visuals. :thumbsup2:

Does anyone have information on the underwing pylons for the FB4?  A few of the photos show 28 Sqn Venoms with pylons but no stores.  The CA kit only provides rather naff looking rockets

Metaphorically of course they carried a mixed loadout of bravado and Imperial disillusionment.

Physically, it's a pity that the Flight archive is offline at present as their contemporary articles from when aircraft entered squadron service are usually quite informative about such matters.

Mr. Stanshall? Brilliant anecdotage. Was at school with Mr. Spear's son Justin for a period in early 80s in Kingston upon Thames but criminally negligent of his family musical connections. Barely a month goes by at the bench without something Doo-Dah related being played, 'The Equestrian Statue' being a particular favourite, for inadequately explainable reasons.

Splendid activity here and all the physical prowess a vrest mental antidote to my current virtualized struggles.

Bravo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Remarkable.

Are you suggesting that you dislike the cartridge ejecting tubes?

If so I expect you could make far finer versions to hang off the underside when you need to paint it all.

Just asking.

For a friend, natch...

For same friend I searched and found such danglies underneath the Swiss Venom

https://encrypted-vtbn2.gstatic.com/video?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3GE0Ua9juP8_JxRE1WFrkDEXcE7shdbCI-hAsGyigEjaPNoSU

Be quick, it is a short 'clip'

• Like 3

7 hours ago, hendie said:

That resin is so fragile now that I thinned it out. 

I'm bound to damage it somehow.

P2070012.jpg

Erm, top right of that picture is a little plastic pot that looks just about the right size to tape over then end to protect it.

• Like 2

Am I the only person who is going to comment on the use of the (new to me, at least) word “cattywumpus”?

And as definitions of 1950s UK aircraft design go, “a mixed load-out of imperial bravado and disillusionment” is genius. Though perhaps a small auxiliary pylon of “good training” might be conceded; the further I get away from my flying days - not to mention the longer I spend in the civilian workplace - the more I realise how very, very well trained we were.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 9

I remember reading an article on Mr Stanshall back in the mid 70's.  He was carrying out some "research" on the London Underground to observe the reactions of passengers. I remember one "experiment" was him sitting, dressed in a big raincoat reading a newspaper.  He had a false arm holding one side of the paper and his unused real arm would sneak out from under the coat and start pilfering stuff from the passenger next to him (who obviously was in on the prank).  The other one I remember was Stanhall standing by the exit door, and as the doors started to close, he would smash a couple of stink bombs (remember them?) and leap out the door before any passengers could assault him, then he would watch their reactions as the carriage pulled away. 

I remember listening to Rawlinsons End on the John Peel show on many occasions.

All the above and a lot more. I also enjoyed the Doo Dahs, much undervalued in my opinion (My Brother Makes The Noises For The Talkies and The Intro and Outro to name but three little gems) ....a sad end to a much underrated and highly talented eccentric.

Do I remember stink bombs? Back in Tom Brown's school days, we had an extremely well stocked chemistry lab so my best friend Russ, (who later became a leading expert on polymer sciences) and I concocted all manner of 'nasty niffs' with potions pinched from said lab. These little 'parcels of pleasure' usually consisted of ammonium sulfide and butyric acid, which stank to high heaven. Got our knuckles more than once but always managed to squeeze out of it somehow. We also had fun with magnesium, sodium hydroxide and a beaker full of water but that's another story. I always thought he'd end up either as a talented chemist or incarcerated, deemed a menace to society...thankfully, he chose the former. Naturally, I egged him on, (excuse the pun). 

the longer I spend in the civilian workplace - the more I realise how very, very well trained we were.

Not quite the same as military service Crisp but having left the sharp end of the acute emergency services after 30 years and talking with friends who work in the 'civilian' sector, I have to agree...

• Like 4

19 hours ago, hendie said:

Thanks Giemme - I hope it provided what you were looking for

Indeed, thank you :thumbsup: I will shamelessly copy the tracing on brass idea; your SBS also confirmed that I can do the most part of the filing using my Dremel, and refine with actual files (I'm lazy.... :D )

Excellent job on the intakes and the tail pipe - educational and inspirational :clap:

Ciao

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Am I the only person who is going to comment on the use of the (new to me, at least) word “cattywumpus”?

I didn’t want to show my ignorance of what I assume is a common Caledonian expression.

AW

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Admit it Alan, in your mind's eye you were really rescuing a trapped pilot the whole time weren't you?

198?cb=20150209123118

:rofl2:

12 hours ago, perdu said:

Are you suggesting that you dislike the cartridge ejecting tubes?

If so I expect you could make far finer versions to hang off the underside when you need to paint it all.

Indeed I am Bill, and you are correct.  They have since had the <snip>

12 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Erm, top right of that picture is a little plastic pot that looks just about the right size to tape over then end to protect it.

I looked but it's not there now.  I've decided to live dangerously

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work hendie - those intakes look proper :) 

Ta Ced.  proper what?

24 minutes ago, giemme said:

Excellent job on the intakes and the tail pipe - educational and inspirational

thanks Giemme. It's all downhill from here...

11 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I picked it up from a colleague (an ex steelworker from Maine).  He uses it to describe anything that's out of whack or a bit jacked up.  In return I'm trying to teach him words like bodge, shifting spanner, and swarf.  It's a hard task but I'm getting there.  He's about the only person I know who's as cantankerous and grumpy as me - we get along great!

What a day!  45% filling and sanding, 45% on my knees looking for bits, and 10% modeling (maybe).

Dashing headlong into the fray, the clamp came off the belly panel.  As I expected, I had a lot of sanding to do to put it to rights.  About 25% of the panel was nicely aligned with other surfaces but the remainder were either above or below the mating surface.  I've no idea why Classic chose to include this as a separate panel and didn't just mold this into the fuselage - it would have been a lot easier.

Thanks for that clip Bill - do you know how bad my eyes are?

Anyways, a while back when I looked at this panel, there were 4 indentations beside what I now know to be the cartridge chutes. I took those indentations to be where the cartridges were ejected and carved out the 4 holes. Should they be holes?  Do I need to fill these in again?  Help!

P2080001.jpg

Feeling pleased with myself about yesterdays discovery that the intake leading into the fuselage was circular, but larger than that provided in the kit, I started to get ready to open things up a bit and then discovered that I was unable to open anything up more I already have as the wall thickness of the resin is a limiting factor here.  Bugger.  C'est la vie. Moving on.

P2080002.jpg

While putty was hardening I cast my eyes over the bench for other tasks and happened across the tail booms.  The rudders are rather nondescript and not clearly defined so I chose to lop 'em off.

Taking extraordinary care to keep lines straight and do a nice neat job, I flipped the tail over for the next cut

P2080003.jpg

only to discover that the panel lines don't match up.  Drat!  Oh well, no need to be so neat now.

P2080004.jpg

A bit of butchery later and we have separation!  Over zealous saw cuts have had lashings of Mr Dissolved Putty which might well be my new favorite modeling go to for filling light gaps and general scratch hider.

P2080005.jpg

After an hour or two's sanding I sent the fuselage to the paint shop. Seems like the seams don't seem so bad. Seamless almost.

P2080006.jpg

Up above there wre only a few small areas, the worst being just on front of the cockpit.  It's all been MDP'd and shall receive another tickling with micromesh tomorrow.

P2080007.jpg

Things did not go so well with the wing.  From my workbench to the paint booth is a staggering one step... about two and a half feet or so.  Can you believe I dropped the wing during that march?  Yup, straight onto the concrete floor.

I picked it up and would you believe I dropped the damn thing again ?  Yup, straight onto the concrete floor. Again.  Twice!

I picked it up and would you believe I dropped the damn thing again ?  Yup, straight onto the concrete floor. Again.  Three #@$&%$#gahhhhh  times in a row!!!!!!!!  What is wrong with me?

I should be thankful this was the only damage.  It could have been a lot worse.

P2080008.jpg

The battle damage was repaired by prising the crack open a flooding it with superglue then clamping it together for a mo'

Seems to have worked.  Mr Dissolved Putty on top and sanding tomorrow

Again while waiting for putty to dry I searched the broad expanse of the destruction that is my workbench for more tasks, at the same time trying not to drop anything.  I happened across the front undercarriage.

I had looked at this a week or two back and wasn't very happy with it as molded.  I had toyed with the idea of making one from brass or printing my own or a number of other options.  In the end I decided just to modify the kit part as most of it is going to be hidden. 

When I played with it last time I discovered that the fork was too narrow to go over the nose wheel.  That was sorted by simply inserting an insert between the two halves.  Once the glue had cured I trimmed back the excess and tidied up the join.

P2080009.jpg

Then the fun part.  Drill breaking time.  I really must order some more of those drills - my cack handedness has decimated my inventory over the last few months.

this was really a time wasting sorry, simple detailing exercise to try and add some visual interest to the nose leg.

P2080010.jpg

Then I dropped it. I saw it bounce off my lap heading towards the shelf under my bench - where I store my rattle cans and other bits.  I heard it hit something so with Sherlock like deduction, determined that it had landed on the shelf somewhere, and not on the floor.

I searched for it.

I searched for it again

And again.

Could I find it?  Of course not.  I moved every single rattle can, every piece of sandpaper.  I moved them from one end of the shelf to the other.  I even swept all the accumulated scrap and crap from the shelf and studied every bit as I put it in the waste bin.  In desperation I went to the floor and searched.  Nothing.  Dammit.  I had thought about making one from scratch last week and decided against it - am I going to have to scratch one now?

One last search....

P2080011.jpg

I swear I looked in that lid before and it wasn't there.  The gods are playing with me.

Relieved, I got back to business and poked it right in the oleo with a brass rod as punishment.  That's better. At least it will have a bit of strength now - which may be needed with that lead weight in the nose.

Yes, I broke the arm off the thing.  That's tomorrows job.

P2080012.jpg

Then just for good measure I lopped off the top end of the nose leg and replaced that with brass too.

P2080013.jpg

Then I dropped more things so gave up for the day. 

I must be suffering from something - I dropped just about everything today including, but not limited to:

• My favorite scriber and broke the tip off
  • Rudder and took about 5 minutes searching to find it
  • several lengths of wire/rod/assorted bits of plastic
  • intake vanes
  • Wing
  • the same wing
  • the same wing again
  • Nose leg
  • A few F-bombs and other assorted terms of endearment.

and that's just the stuff that fell below benchtop level - I dropped hunerts of other things too, but only onto the bench - still took ages to find them though.

Until the morrow dear friends.  Keep a grip!

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

I’ve had a couple of those days in recent weeks, dropping, breaking, knocking over and spilling things.  Infuriating.

Uncanny how you always find the lost thing in the last place you look.....

AW

Edited by Andwil
Add bad spelling to the list of calamities
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

How the hell ??

Page 4 and the thing is almost done  ???

Ok, I get to the bar and sit quiet in a corner...

These are one of my next lunacy...

So, I'll follow with interest...and beer !!

Go on Hendie !! You may finish it before page 10...

And then ?? A 1/32 Belvedere ??

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 3