Avia CS-99 (Bf-109G-12) 1/48 kitbash.

Otakar

I wish that it was simpler to post pictures here but it is not. So I am providing a link where I am posting a build thread for this project. It started out as a relatively simple conversion of the UM models Bf-109G-14 but because the grossly inaccurate fuselage profile (which I discovered while quite late in the project) it wound up being a kitbash of the UM wing and Eduard fuselage. of the G-6 and other parts from the G-10. Because Eduard gives a plethora of extra parts with their kits, there is no loss of parts of build any complete kit. To give a quick rundown in English, I junked the UM "skinny" fuselage but wanted to salvage the rather nice wing they provide and I have already built and spent a decent amount of time on. The UM wing is actually quite accurate and quite adequate for this project. The Fuselage I decided to use was from the old molding of the  Eduard G-6, which was about 2.5mm too long. As we know, the fuselage behind the cockpit is about .6-.75mm too tall. This was advantageous for me because I took the opportunity to shorten the fuselage just in this spot which also happens to be just behind the root of the trailing edge of the wing. This shifted the complete taper forward by this length reduction and therefore reduced the height of the fuselage in that area. Thus making this correction of the model more accurate than the new molding of the more recent kits which were shortened but the height error was not fixed. In the last picture I am showing the exact placing of the cut line which is the furthest forward vertical panel line. After re-gluing I just sanded the area and re-sribed the line. No putty or filler was used. I got my hands on three sets of the old F/G kits for free, therefore this was a total blessing in disguise. In the same kits I got 2 sets of wings in each. These had the wingspan too large by 4mm total therefore there has to be a 2mm removal before installing the tips. All of these modifications are VERY EASY to do. They only take about 15 minutes each and accuracy is achieved. In fact, that is all Eduard did to correct the wings and molded in the wingtips instead of having them as independent parts such as being done in the early kits. In fact, this is a easy and quick way to know if you have one of the early kits or later kits. Besides referring to the graph on Scalemates. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/eduard-82111-bf-109g-6-late-series--945346 . I will link a few pictures of this project on this thread but for all remaining pictures of the build please go here. https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=131002 I can and will, however answer any questions, in English, on this thread, if so desired. I just do not want to write everything twice. I never attempted it but I think that the Google translator can also do that for you on the Modelforum.cz site. So please enjoy and any constructive input is always appreciated. All of my future conversions will most likely use the Zvezda kit as the base model. Up to this point of construction I have about $13.50 invested in this model. (plus postage) $4 for the canopy and <$9.50 for the UM kit. I will however invest a little in the cockpit interior . I will have more invested in paint and decals than in the plastic of this kit. I do wish to mention one last thing. as you can see by the pictures, the fit of the UM wing to the Eduard fuselage is extraordinary. The only place I had to do any cutting was in the lower part of the fuselage behind the trailing edge. I decided to use the complete UM wing and match the fuselage to it instead the other way around, which actually would have been much simpler. You can see all of this in the other website.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Otakar
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I did do a bit more work, but not much since this last post. I did some more modifications to the upper fuselage to fit the canopy properly. It took some plastic strips on both the rails and shaving down the front cowling a bit in front of the windscreen between the breach bulges.

spacer.png

• Like 2

The answers are Yes and Yes. I have been communicating with a bunch of people in the Czech Republic and that is one of those that is planned. I doubt they will fix the mistakes they have been making on the all G series of kits. That is after all the other kits they are planning in the interim. They are going to do a S-199 also but this is all on a five year plan. I'm going to be 61 here in a couple of months and by the time this is done I will be on a limited budget, LOL. If I did not have these kits in hand I would have never used them to make my conversion. The dimensions are wrong on both kits and very difficult to fix. Some are fixable but a bunch are not. The Zvezda is a MUCH better kit for the money. It is about half the price or eve less if you know where to buy. My price was 2/3 of what you see in this link because I'm an established customer. I just got mine in, about 3 days ago and ordered 3 more right away. All of these will be used for conversions of one sort or another. https://modelsua.com/messerschmitt-bf-109-f6-1-48-zvezda-4816.html   The Tamiya is a superior kit in every way but expensive. This is why I do not buy Tamiya or Hasegawa kits. They are cost prohibitive to me. The Ukrainians are doing a fantastic job with their new kits. Here are so many new 109s coming out of the Ukraine including three versions of the G-12 (AMG) here is one listing  https://modelsua.com/messerschmitt-bf-109g-12-trainer-late-plast-pe-dec-resin-mask-1-48-amg-48704.html I could have started with this but wanted to do the conversion myself. I don't mind doing the work but do mind spending the $. My Eduard kits were Free, UM kit $7 and Canopy $6.60 http://www.jaysmodelkits.com/jaysmk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=102_104&products_id=1085. The rest is just a bit of work. To answer your question more fully about the fit of the UM wing to the Eduard fuse just look here, It was actually quite easy. It could have been even easier if I would have chosen to "flip the cut" take the material off the wing instead of the fuse. https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=131002&start=30 I only did it to salvage the wing that I already built. My other option would have been to chuck it and build the Eduard wing. The UM wing is quite nice even though it just happens to have the exact same wing root cord width mistake as the Eduard.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 9:41 AM, Mattlow said:

Nice work...

I hope at some point Eduard do a G-12 (I suspect they will).

UM wing seems to fit the Ed fuselage well...

Matt

I wouldn't bother with any of the Eduard 109F/G series kits at all. Every dimension you can think of is bad. Even the propeller is too large. spinner, Fuselage height, wing cord, Etc. Etc. Go with the Zvezda kit for the best kick-for-the-buck, or if you wish to spend the green, with Tamiya. I am sorry I bought the three kits of the latest G-10 release from Eduard and all the other kits I have of theirs were free so I cant complain there. If nothing else I can use them for detailing parts. What the heck Eduard didn't even get the wheel wells right. You have to buy the QuickBoost 48726 set to make it right or other photo etch.  Zvezda got it right on the money. Zvezda is worth every penny. $12.35 at ModelsUA The only mistake I could find on the Zvezda kit is that each wing needs 1mm added to it to make it the right wingspan. That was easy to do. I am doing it on my S-199 conversion using the Zvezda G-6 kit as can be seen in the second picture. Also there is no fabric detail on the lower surfaces of the ailerons. Besides the fact that you get most of the parts to make the F variant also in the box. Zvezda just doesn't have all the mega riveting detail that Eduard is now really getting into on their latest kits. I, myself do not like all those rivets on a kit as small as 1/48. 1/32 I guess would be OK.

spacer.pngThis is the set you need to make the wheel wells right.

This is the start of my Avia S-199 conversion using the Zvezda kit. Upper wing wheel blisters are Hobby Craft.

spacer.png 

Edited by Otakar

I have the cockpits almost finished. just have to install the seatbelts. Once those are installed, I will glue together the fuselage.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png