1/72 Old Tool Airfix Lancaster

Superb mate!  I hope when I get round to doing my 'new tool' version it turns out as good as this. I'm going to be doing some 'wheels up' prop driven aircraft in the future and the only thing I would do differently would be to loose the prop blades and fill/blend-in the resulting holes, applying a bit of 'prop blur' effect with an airbrush round the hubs, I've seen this done on other models and it looks effective.

Anyway, a superb rendition!

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice build, the 1980 kit is not bad, although a bit deficient in detail these days. I used one to build a Lincoln with the old DB conversion about four/five years ago

• Like 1

The ole gal cleaned up pretty darned well, I'd say- a very, very nice Lancaster! 1st- I love the stand you made; very clever! 2nd- a true Lanc modeler who knows how to do the exhaust staining from the outboard side of the outer engines; well done! BTW- what paint did you use for the undersurface, as it looks very convincing in 1/72! 👍

Mike

• Thanks 1

Got 3 of these, 2 from the original 1979/80 release which are nicely molded and one from 1985/90 release with nasty sink marks! This one's on the bench and being built as squadron leader Ian bazalgette's 'T' Tommy of 635 sqd  RAF Downham Market. I also noticed that the mold was damaged when new!

• Thanks 1

Blimey, when you said 'old tool' I thought you meant the ancient 1960s job!

I remember this one coming out and everyone getting excited at what an advance it represented. You've done a wonderful job with it.

• Thanks 1

As others have said, a great result using an old classic. If you can do this with the 1980s kit, I cease to wonder what you will achieve with the most recent tooling. I especially like the subtle shading and exhaust staining.

Well Done, Sir !   

• Thanks 1

That looks great

That Airfix Lancaster is pretty good. When people say "considering what you were working with" I think they are being a bit unfair to Airfix. If course it lacks some of the intricate detail (dare I say fiddliness) of current Airfix mouldings but it a good basic kit and as this build demonstrates, can look stunning.

Of course, of you were referring to the original Airfix Lancaster from the late 1950s, then "considering what you were working with" would be a very valid comment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

That Airfix Lancaster is pretty good. When people say "considering what you were working with" I think they are being a bit unfair to Airfix. If course it lacks some of the intricate detail (dare I say fiddliness) of current Airfix mouldings but it a good basic kit and as this build demonstrates, can look stunning.

Have to agree. The 79/80 Airfix Lanc release is still a decent kit, and was pretty well state of the art at the time. I remember the reviews being very positive. Details weren't too bad either, with some turret detail and full bomb load. The fit is pretty good too if my examples are anything to go by, although they are first issues. As they've been superceded by the new Airfix Lanc, the fairly cheap second hand prices of the older kit present a good, solid Lanc kit for not a lot of money. Happy days! As Sam's build shows, a stunning looking build can be achieved. Nice work! 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the positivity, glad you like her! @Eric Mc,@fightersweep, I completely agree and apologise if I gave the impression it was *really* old tool! My version basically fell together, no issues with fit or sink holes and I was able to keep the raised rivets intact because I didn't have to fill and sand much at all. If I was doing it again I might beef up the spars holding the wings to ensure the dihedral is spot on and I definitely should have got some fresh decals, but other than that the kit was great. 

@woody37, @Mikey-1980, I'll add some better photos of the stand once its done properly but to answer your questions, it feels like it should be pretty sturdy. The threaded stand screws into a nut which is held in the bomb bay doors between two thick pieces of plasticard (you can just see these in the photo) which were surrounded with 2-part epoxy resin - screwing the caphead in, it feels solid. The doors themselves are held on to the fuselage with little magnets in the bay contacting onto metal strips on the doors. There isn't much space for magnet on magnet and I found the attraction to be too strong anyway (stronger than the glue!). I added two extra plasti-card spars to stiffen the doors and these have a small overlap into the bomb bay which also helps with alignment - it all goes together with a satisfying click. Unfortunately the auxiliary fuel tank (???) that's supposed to go in the middle of the bay and which I'd carefully painted and weathered wasn't even close to fitting with the bomb bay doors shut! 

@72modeler the underside colour started with grey and black pre-shading and the top colour is a mix about half way between Tamiya rubber black and flat black. I'm afraid I was mixing as I went in the airbrush cup so don't the exact ratios but did build it up over the pre-shade in four or five heavily thinned coats, rather than one at once.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2