RAF Rescue Launch on land trailer and tug

Hi all,

I finished this early last year, my first and probably last torpedo bait as I only built it to fill in my non-wingy thing RAF mass project for completeness.

Austin K6 tug and land trailer are fully scratch built, the Launch is just a detailed up Airfix kit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

ATB

Sean

• Like 56
  • Thanks 3

Lovely work - especially the weathering.  Only thought that went through my mind is that given the HSL's weigh over 21 tons and the trailer's probably another 1-2 tons, could a K6 actually tow that weight?  These days when you see comparable sized boats being moved the tractor unit is huge

On 1/26/2020 at 9:09 AM, Chewbacca said:

Lovely work - especially the weathering.  Only thought that went through my mind is that given the HSL's weigh over 21 tons and the trailer's probably another 1-2 tons, could a K6 actually tow that weight?  These days when you see comparable sized boats being moved the tractor unit is huge

Yes mate, I have reference from a veteran who served at ports along the South coast that they used the K6 with ballast and Matador 0854 Tankers, the 6x6 type, half full of fuel as tugs. With the knowledge my Landrover 109" 1 Ton was factory rated to tow 12 tons on a braked trailer I'm sure it could be done, and back then 'needs must' was very much the order of the day and as the K6 and Matador 0854 were the heaviest trucks that the RAF operated at the time it makes sense. I can imagine several jury-rigged 6x4s and 6x6s all strapped together to tow out really heavy stuff, not sure they would have been that good on wet and/or steep concrete though

• Like 2

On 30/01/2020 at 19:16, vindicareassassin said:

Yes mate, I have reference from a veteran who served at ports along the South coast that they used the K6 with ballast and Matador 0854 Tankers, the 6x6 type, half full of fuel as tugs. With the knowledge my Landrover 109" 1 Ton was factory rated to tow 12 tons on a braked trailer I'm sure it could be done, and back then 'needs must' was very much the order of the day and as the K6 and Matador 0854 were the heaviest trucks that the RAF operated at the time it makes sense. I can imagine several jury-rigged 6x4s and 6x6s all strapped together to tow out really heavy stuff, not sure they would have been that good on wet and/or steep concrete though

Well you learn something everyday.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...