Klemm 35 Swedish AF - Finished!

Jpthedog

Wow - hadnt looked at forthcoming GB so when I saw the Nordic GB yesterday I wondered how I could join with one of my many kits from the stash! Well if I can, I am jumping in with a Huma Klemm 35, to be finished as a Swedish AF example in a very striking green and orange scheme. The kit actually incl;udes decals for 6 options including one with spats and the Swedish version with skis.  I have a slight fondness for the Klemm, having seen a few flying at the Hahnweide show and having visited the former Klemm factory airfield at Boblingen, near stuttgart - I have 3 in the stash, all identical.

Klemm+20200119_090616_resized.jpg

Here is the kit - in 1/72 so not many parts. Decals look OK but black outlines around the white codes - not sure if that is right but not really done any research so far.

klemm+20200119_091132_resized.jpg

Instructions (quaint) and decals sheet

klemm+20200119_091156_resized.jpg

'Achtung' - a warning! Not sure what it means as my school german cant translate, but thats why we have google .....

klemm+20200119_091239_resized.jpg

Hoping this will be a quick build - minimal cockpit, which suits my model making methods, but I guess I will need to investigate colours and what could be seen once the 2 pilots are installed. Seats are the usual square L shaped approximation and IP's clunky - no worries the orange colours will distract the casual inspector at my local model club! Looking forward to being part of this GB. Who knows, the other Nordic nations may also be represeneted by builds if I get my finger out!

• Like 8

I've seen this kit when ive been looking at some of Humas other kits, never seen one built so this will be great. 

With a green and orange paint job you certainly won't have any trouble finding it  !

cheers Pat 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

welcome along and what an interesting and unusual model you've bought.

I've never head of seen one of these before, gee she's a pretty looking little aircraft. The colour scheme sounds great, looking forward to seeing what it's like in colour. Looks to be a nice simple build but that won't stop it from being a lovely model when done.

Good luck with the build, I look forward to following the progress and seeing her in the gallery at the end.

• Like 2

Cheers guys for your encouraging comments. Been cracking on inbetween waiting for paint to dry....on my He51. Parts cut off sprue and cleaned up - typical flash of a small kit producer - quite satisfying and theraputic!

klemm+20200119_203705.jpg

Cockpits - really cant be bothered with them sorry (I'm ex airliner builder!) so I've gone with what the kit has supplied - very basic seats and IP - will get  basic paint on tomorrow. Fuselage is nicely moulded with frame showing and some indednted panel lines to add a bit of interest but probably over scale. Fine sized locating pins for wings and tail plane......

klemm+20200119_203721.jpg

• Like 6

Christer thanks for the advice. Yes I noticed a few pictures on the various photo site. Looking for a picture from probably late 40's of the Sk15 on skis.....

Choice for the oraange wings....

20200120_140102_resized.jpg

Revell Matt 25 is favourite from my existing tins of orange!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Don't we really need a Dutchman to advise us on shades of orange ?

As we say here... any orange is good orange when you've had a few drinks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Tonights status. Fuselage clapped together (the cockpit is painted honest), wings on, tail and tailplanes fitted. Pilots cut from sprue and then filed 'thinner' to fit into the cockpit! Have a rough idea on colours of their uniform, so thats next. Prop is a bit fat so I have shaved it slightly, still not sure - need to check the picture sites. So coming along and will need a nominal smear of filler at the joints, then onto priming.  Its small.....

klemm+20200121_194633_resized.jpg

2 hours ago, Christer A said:

The real ones were painted Pansargrå W18 and Orange W17.

According to the book Kronmärkt, W17 is darker than FS 22300, W18 is more grey than FS 24031.

Does that help anything?

Thanks but how do I convert that to say Tamiya, Humbrol?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Touvdal said:

I like the Huma kit, they where very nicely made, build the Klemm many years ago.

Looking forward to se the build.

Cheers

Jes

Yes Jes I like the Huma kits - have a few like the FW44, Fi56 and Do27 that i can recall. 

I recently built a Renzan in the Frog GB, this had Japanese Trainer Orange paintwork.

Things got a little intense over the shades of orange so much so that it was just referred to as the "O" word !

I eventually went for Humbrol Acrylic 5046 Matt

IMG_4589

Goes on really well with a hairy stick !

IMG_4615

Great work so far, looking really sharp

cheers Pat

• Like 5

On 1/22/2020 at 9:35 AM, Christer A said:

The color for the fuselage could be mixed from equal parts Tamiya XF-13 and XF-63, but I'm at a loss for the Orange stuff. Tamiya X6 looks close.

Thanks Christer - I will do some test painting with what i already have - hopefully get a decent match

Edited by Jpthedog
  • Like 1

Small update. Opened up the vents/air intake in the front of the cowling.

klemm+20200123_133627_resized.jpg

The lunchtime (the advantages of working from home!) sprayed the wings and tail plane orange as the Tamiya paint arrived today!

20200127_141526.jpg

Its bright! Mask off this evening hopefully - need to catch up with the other models in the GB as I have another selected for inclusion.....

• Like 6

Update at lunchtime today. First a pic during the spraying of the green - RLM70 from Sovereign paints - really liking the way they go down. Tamiya X6 orange for the wings (under swathes of masking tape!) - gloss but thats fine for the decals.

20200128_133559_resized.jpg

Now brush coated with Klear in the absence of me finding a suitable gloss coat

20200130_134919_resized.jpg

20200130_134933_resized.jpg

All ready for decals tonight. The kit decals are OK - they could be improved on but I am using them as this is a quick build and I want to get onto the next Nordic model! Choice is 1/72 NorFly DC3 or 1/48 Finnish AF Lysander.... loving this GB!

Edited by Jpthedog
  • Like 5