African Hurricanes

Nils

Two pieces I've done lately inspired by Hawker Hurricanes squadrons during the african campaign.

the first shows a 6sqn Mk IID ('Tin opener') with two 40mm Vickers gun and the other a pair of Mk IIC with the 4 x 20mm cannons.

I figure if anyone can spot errors thismust be the right place to go checking.

Desert tin opener

Desert Hurricanes

Edited by Nils
  • Like 11

5 hours ago, Nils said:

I figure if anyone can spot errors thismust be the right place to go checking.

Yep.  EDIT 

the below was written on the assumption you wanted the pictures error checking for detail, as they are digital and editable files,  if not, my apologies.  

are you working from photos?

The fin flashes are wrong on both.

the fuselage roundel looks too far back on both

the underwing roundel on V/KL293 is too big

as I so often post, read this

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

Does not cover MTO, but the marking placement and size are the same on all schemes,  for the above look at the detail marked after May 1942

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

note also there is a formula for wing roundel position,  roundel centre is 1/3 of span in from tip, with a 2 inch gap either side of leading edge and trailing edge, not going over control surfaces.

Hurricane 40ft span, or 480 inches,  from centreline 240 inches, /3 = 80 inch, note dimension above.

the Dark Earth on the IID look too dark.

this is HV663/U

6777561785_864db8be0f_o.jpgHurricane Mk II d . by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

the cam pattern is wrong on the rear fuselage/tail, the pattern is the mirror of the one shown above.  This is the factory pattern.  Note also the red spinner, MTO theatre marking.  Possibly these have orange roundel centres as a SAAF sq.

Note 'font' of HV633

'S' has a replacement panel by the roundel. 

the pattern of exhaust stains is wrong.  It's very distinctive.

5993516730_a42b3cb06a_o.jpgHurricane                 1944. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Camo pattern on tail/rear of KL293/V is wrong, again, compare.

You have both sides of the pattern in the images above

from here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=hurricane

while a Spitfire, this is excellent for showing faded vs new touch up paint, look at the 'AN' area

14780326836_c9727d9f2c_o.jpgRCAF Spitfire V,  1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

the above photos are good for the actual colours as well IMO.

I might add in an edit, but the above covers everything that I can see so far.

HTH

• Like 2

Thanks guys

I appreciate your corrections, they’re really helpful. I will go back and go through my work..

Mackem, see my link for a photo reference. Perhaps my bombs are a bit off ..?

http://www.historyofwar.org/Pictures/pictures_hurricane_ii_bomber.html

Edited by Nils
  • Like 1

An update on markings, colours and paint scheme (and new background, even though I preferred the original, but this is better and more detailed)

Perhaps it’s a bit closer to the real thing now?

I was a bit unsure about the underwing roundels as you (Troy) said it was too big, but really it was actually to small but with wrong proportions. I’ve adjusted it to match the original placement and looks.

Desert_II

• Like 1

sorry, crossed wires I thin

The underwing is the type C, 32 inch, as shown on the drawing, same as the fuselage minus the yellow ring, which is 36 inches total width.

6777561785_864db8be0f_o.jpg

Fin flash better,  no camo Dark Earth under the tailplane,(it's shadow and dust in the above)  the U is too small,  the roundel is 36 inch, so use that to size,   the serial is too thin, too far forward and too low down. The serial is 8 inch, and details of position are in the camo drawings I posted.  The roundel maybe a tiny bit too small.   Can you not use the colour pic and 'map' it onto the below for the sizing?

49415754031_bdf2e721d9_b.jpg

The picture is very evocative,  I've been looking at Hurricane pics since I was child, so little detail jump out at me.

HTH

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all friendly feedbacks to everyone and especially to Troy Smith for his helpful advices, nice photos, markings and paint scheme. Also thanks to mackem01 for focusing on the bomb types I’ve done. I’ll adjust them. Nothing has happened here lately as I work offshore and has been away for work, but will be home soon and will continue work on the Hurri.

• Like 1

Finally some more update to my Hurricane work..

Edit: I saw that I wasn't happy with the desert background and have reworked it some

Hawker Hurricane MkIIc overflies the Libyan desert

Edited by Nils
Updated image
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the second of the first pics, Nils.

It just looks right to me with that hazy background.

I think Michael Turner did a couple of paintings with these hazy backgrounds, a Mitchell and a Hastings and they just look right to me.

There's a temptation to do something dramatic, but sometimes I think maybe less is more, regarding a background?

Great stuff, cheers Bob.