Zoukei-Mura - SWS Noº 5 - 1/32 J2M3 Raiden

Hello all. This kit was a "Bucket List" I have to do a Zoukei-Mura kit.

I started with the radial engine about 2 years ago, but it went back in to my cabinet of ongoing projects. 

This week I found out a Campaign is running with the subject Radial Engines. Still waiting for approval of a started kit for that campaign, I might as well do the build blog over here on Britmodeller.com. Should be fun.

spacer.png

The Magnificent Mitsubishi Kasei Engine Type 23kou

Zoukei-Mura let you build a plane just a little different from the others you build. They have a 'Concept' for that. Reading the manual before you start is more than needed with good information, some history, etc. The kit is not over engineered, but construction is like the real deal and it works only if you follow up instructions very precise.

The Office...

spacer.png

spacer.png

A Sunday morning build. Fit is unbelievable good. The details go under the floor and all will be connected. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

For this kit I have an Eduard PE set. Except for the IP, (my eye sight is too bad for painting that), I will not need the rest of the PE.

Detail is just very good. would be a Big Sin to cut away the pretty levers and switches. 

Next will be the wing, landing gear and radio.

So far so good. It was a nice Sunday, little bit of this and a little bit of that. 

All the best and until next time.

Robert Jan

Edited by Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast
Spelling
  • Like 5

I have been thinking about the scheme and I knew this photo was still somewhere.spacer.png

I know Hasegawa has the "prisoner of war" kit with the same scheme.

Anybody knows who makes decals for this in 1/32 scale.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Hi Robert Jan,

I'm currently building the same kit, it's quite an experience, isn't it? I'm sorry but I don't know of any aftermarket decals for the kit at all, only a markings mask set from Montex which covers one of the kit options and another IJN aircraft, and a masking set from Maketar which has the same two options as the kit, as far as I know there is nothing at all for the captured versions.

Cheers,

Stew

Hello Stew. Thanks for looking in.

As I have mentioned before, this was on my ToDo list as being a modeler. And yes this quite an experience.

I had some workbench with the kit today, with ups and downs, it isn't fun all the time because it is a very precise kit. 

I made some progress on the engine and cockpit, radio and wing.

Wing did not make my day, it got airborne because one of the clamps launched it. No further damage, but.. stupid me!

Thailand has become familiar with some Good Old Dutch Cursing.

The afternoon went ok, painted was the ZEN for today.

Pictures will follow soon.

Robert Jan  

Pictures of todays workbench experiences...

spacer.png

I used Tamiya TS-78 as a base color for the Mitsubishi Interior 'Reflective Green". You can see the difference from the radio rack with rest of the cockpit.

Very happy with it. If you look at the dash you see almost no difference with applied paint.

spacer.png

Hand painted over the TS-78. Happy with the result. Already has a gloss coat from Mr. Hobby, ready for some greasy oily dirt.

spacer.png

Thought I had the wing captured today, but no.. 

Until next time.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

• Like 4

That looks great, can't wait for more , I'm building a Hasegawa 1/32 scale Raiden at the moment and keeping an eye on Stew's build which prompted me to buy a ZM 1/32 scale Mustang.

Hope you are enjoying Thailand, we lived there for seven years and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for the kind words, appreciated.

Well Dennis, I really like Thailand, enjoy every minute of it for almost 6 years now. Hope to spend the rest of my life over here. My brother is also living here, for more than 20 years already. We are in Recycling Business and work just outside Bangkok, Pathum Thani province close to Ayutthaya.

Until next time.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

• Like 1