Heather's Workbench - Hobby2000 1/72nd Bristol Beaufighter MkI

We are into the final detail painting stage.

49579496087_611a7f7e86_b.jpg

Main wheels, after my preferred Humbrol 32 dark grey, have been given a coat of matt varnish. The props and spinners have been assembled, retouched and then satin varnished. Now the engine cowlings are painted camo colours (they were temporarily placed on the airframe for painting so it all matched up, hopefully) I’ve matched the exhaust shrouds to the collector rings colour.

Yesterday I fitted the undercarriage doors, and painted the wheel wells interior green, so they’d all get a dose of the satin varnish top coat. It’s a shame, really, because the original Xtracrylix eggshell finish would have been just perfect for the finish I would have liked. Never mind, eh.

49579270261_94670f62da_b.jpg

I must exercise patience. I must let the varnish dry properly. I must not get carried away and attempt unmasking the transparencies, even though I am itching to see how it’s turned out! Patience. :waiting: Equally, the tail wheel needs a touch or two of paint to finish things off, as does the fin flash. The latter I ought to have done before varnishing, but impatience and forgetfulness got the better of me. 

R2069 will be ready for the official photographer very soon.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stevejj said:

Nice job of the beau Heather and the duel gauge hand built track ain't bad either

Three gauges on my test track. At the back, O fine (32mm gauge), at the front ScaleSeven (33mm) and Broad Gauge (49mm). I’ve got a fair amount of broad gauge stock under construction, so I needed some track to test things. 

Hang on! I’m talking about the day job! :laugh:

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Stevejj said:

Oooooo broard gauge where will I find a wip of that? And what are you building? I'm waiting for wheels for a n.e.r. class h )( connoisseur kit)

Ask and ye shall receive! :like:

Clicky-linky to another forum, part one.

Clicky-linky to another forum, part two.

I have more work from that client to come. It’s all rolling stock, as I’m stopping the loco work. Too stressful. 

Lots of threads on lots of things that might be of interest.

• Like 1

Oh, hello?

49579791601_3fe30dfdc2_b.jpg

49580018217_0da81f01a0_b.jpg

I think it’s finished.

The vinyl masks came off without too much drama. My Maskol dabs on the wingtip lights weren’t quite so successful, but will just need a spot of paint retouching when I am in the mood. I decided not to worry about the odd little antenna-type masts on top of and underneath the nose. It meant drilling holes in finished paint, and that rarely ends well. I guess I should have fitted them before painting it! A tiny amount of weathering powder for exhaust stains, a bit of dust around the wheels and undercarriage, and a couple of drops of thinned black to add some depth to wheel well mouldings and stuff, and I think this is ready for RFI. I’ll do a proper photo setup this evening.

• Like 22

On 2/21/2020 at 4:14 PM, CedB said:

It was decided, as you say, to pronounce it ‘transfers’. 

Thank goodness! If I hear Brett Green say 'deck-uhls' one more time on one of his videos, I am going to part company with my lunch!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
removed duplicate text
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

My Maskol dabs on the wingtip lights weren’t quite so successful,

Heather,

I have had pretty good results on nav, position, and landing lights using 'white' glue painted over the light assembly  with a brush as a mask. After painting the surrounding area, a cotton swap moistened in hot water will easily remove the glue, as it's water soluble. Over here on this side of the pond, we use Elmer's glue, but any water soluble craft glue will work. BTW, tinted with  a drop of the appropriate food coloring and mixed into the glue, you can make very convincing position or nav lights- you sometimes might need to apply a second layer in case of excessive shrinkage; a little practice will show you how much to apply at a time. Works great for teardrop or dome shaped lights! 

Mkike

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's looking nice Heather, as others have noted, it's nice to see a Beaufighter in Dark Earth/Dark Green.

For water based acrylic varnishes, Windsor & Newton make fine stuff as does Vallejo. I usually thin the matt varnishes with distilled water for better control and it lessens the likelihood of becoming cloudy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's looking nice Heather, as others have noted, it's nice to see a Beaufighter in Dark Earth/Dark Green.

2 hours ago, Stevejj said:

Great beaufighter heather. Love the finish. Can't wait for the next one!!

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

That's a real beauty, Heather!

2 hours ago, Wince said:

Looks great! Really nice colours and finish 

11 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Outstanding - what else is there to say?

Thanks chaps! I'm fairly pleased at how it's turned out. As usual, there are things I think I should do better, but it's still nice to see it finished. Once I get the Airfix Beaufort, I can pose the Bristol twin family all together. 

RFI post is here:

As to what's next, well, I suppose I should plough on with the FrankenDornier. I just need to pluck up the courage to trim and fit the Falcon vac-form transparencies, then I could get paint under way.

• Like 4

On 24/02/2020 at 11:32, Heather Kay said:

That leads to a question of the BM Hive Mind: varnish - what’s your poison?

Winsor and Newton Galeria was recommended to me here on BM and I have matt, satin and gloss.

All perform well IMHO airbrushed when thinned 50/50 with water.

Not too expensive either!

• Like 1