Lockheed Vega 5b, Dora Wings, 1/48

dora

That is one smooth paint job on a beautiful classic Lockheed/Vega design!  Looks like a very nice kit with no major issues. I also was impressed with the bare metal edging on the ailerons. I don't think @Moa will like it much, as it doesn't look like it needs major scratchbuilding/correction...and there's no place for a loo! Seriously, that's a beautiful build!

Mike

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I don't think @Moa will like it much, as it doesn't look like it needs major scratchbuilding/correction...and there's no place for a loo! Seriously, that's a beautiful build!

Mike

Well, not to mention that it's in 1/48th, which is not my scale.

I have built one in 1/72nd that I have posted here.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235050511-lockheed-vega-jimmie-mattern-mpm-172-modified/

And also have another two MPM in the stash, plus a RarePlanes vacuformed one.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 5:09 PM, 72modeler said:

I also was impressed with the bare metal edging on the ailerons.

I don't think the Dora Vega build has metal edging to the ailerons. This may be a lightning effect.

Dora does have the bottom aileron line engraved much too wide and this may be a misinterpretation from the Wylam drawings, which show the metal aileron stop strips on the bottom of the wing.

There was no metal edging on the real Vega ailerons, they were all wood. But there was a metal aileron stop strip on the wing bottom. These metal strips were attached to the wing at the hinge line.

For the externally balanced 'Frise' type ailerons on Earhart's Vega there were 3 aileron stop strips. All 3 are slightly different, as well as being slightly 'handed'.

The outboard and the inboard stop strips were 2"inches wide, made of .040 'hard Dural'. The outboard strips being 15-3/4" inches long and the inboard strips being 72-15/16" inches long. Those installed on the port wing were bent at an angle of 17 degrees, while those installed on the starboard wing were bent at an angle of 14 degrees. The width of the bent area that attached to the wing was 3/8 inches wide.

The stop strips for the balanced portion of the aileron were 24-1/2" inches long and flat (not bent) . These were tapered in width from 1-3/8" inches to 1-3/16" inches with the narrower width to outboard.

The Earhart Vega page at the NASM website contains photos showing the aileron stop strips:

https://airandspace.si.edu/multimedia-gallery/a19670093000-nasm2018-10373jpg

Tim

Edited by VH-USB
Added all dimensions for stop strips
  • Like 2

Wasn't aware Dora Wings had a Vega kit.

You've done an excellent job.

Inspires me to go back to my MPM (1/72) kit and try to progress it.

Congrats on the superb job you've done on your 1/48 replica.

😎