The Republic for which it flies ! Now replaced with new thread.

4 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Sign me up! I've got the Monogram 1/48 F-105D along with decals for Polish Glider.

There's also the tastyvfuture Dora Wings 1/48 Seversky P-35 that may or may not sneak its way into my stash if were to hypothetically fall off my stash building moratorium.

Hello Sir you are signed up, if I can get a P-35 or P-43 they’d move to the top of the list for this build. 

Thanks to everyone for showing interest and just a little bit of mile marker as we are now at 20 so 2/3rds of the required number. We might just make the November Bunfight. 

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

With @Rabbit Leader and @vppelt68 discussing manufacturer based group builds. I thought Id pop this up for a bump and look around ? Does anyone know if Republic or Seversky aviation ever attempted a civilian passenger aircraft for the airline industry ? I know and have included the Seabee amphibian/flying boat. But I'm looking at airliners specifically. Something along the likes of DC-3’s, DC-7’s, Convairs, or Boeings.  I have continuously looked but cant find anything. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Well Live and learn, I guess Republic did have intentions of building a variant of the Rainbow into a passenger airliner. From Wiki’s page on the Rainbow. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_XF-12_Rainbow

“Republic had intended to also build an airline version of the aircraft to be known as the RC-2. This variant was supposed to be a "stretched" version of the XF-12, growing in length from 93 ft 9 in to 98 ft 9 in, with the addition of a fuselage "plug" in front of the wing. Also the complex Plexiglas nose section was supposed to be replaced with a solid metal nose with a bifurcated windshield. Fuel capacity would have been increased, and more powerful (at lower altitude) P&W R-4360-59s would have been substituted in place of the P&W R-4360-31s on the U.S. Air Force version. The engines also would have only had one General Electric turbosupercharger each, instead of the dual arrangement on the U.S. Air Force model. The aircraft would be lavishly appointed for the 46 passengers and seven crew. It would have been fully pressurized to sea level, air conditioned, with an electric galley providing hot meals and with an inflight lounge. It would have had the ability to cruise above the weather at 435 mph at 40,000 feet. No versions of this aircraft were ever built.[10]

Without an order from the U.S. Air Force to offset the cost for development and tooling, the cost of building the civilian airliners went up exponentially. As a result, the two airlines (American Airlines and Pan-Am) that had originally placed tentative purchase orders, both cancelled due to the additional unit cost. Economically, the RC-2 wasn't as feasible as other designs available at the time, such as the Lockheed Constellation and the Douglas DC-6. Both of those aircraft could carry more people, at a lower cost per mile. In addition, after the hostilities ended in World War II, there were large collections of surplus military transports available for purchase, such as the Douglas C-54 Skymaster. These former transport aircraft lent themselves to be readily converted to airline service at a fraction of the cost of buying new aircraft. Without additional orders, Republic cancelled all further plans to build not only the XF-12 but also the RC-2, leaving just the two original prototypes.”

This would be a great option if anyone wanted to do a Whif proto build. Though a bit expensive as the only Rainbow kits I'm aware of are resin. 

Dennis

EDIT: another link to more info, scroll down. 

https://www.air-and-space.com/Republic XF-12.htm

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello a GeeBee, I wasn't aware the Granville brothers connected to Seversky/Republic ? 

Oh maybe  🤔 I assumed that since the Seabee is republic the GeeBee is too. So that’s me out. 

Edited by Marklo

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You could always build it in the Racers build if that gets through ? 

Yes that was me of the many plans :) 

I’ve  always a bubble top P47 and I’m eyeing up an A10 ( although I thought that was Fairchild) I wouldn’t rule out a Seversky either, so count me in for one of the above.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Would have voted for "The Republic for which it flies" GB if it turned up in a poll - I even have kits for the build.

I gather this build is merged into "The Mighty All-American Aircraft Mfg Co GB"?

I can't see a thread for that build and the title does not mean anything to me ("Mighty" is off-putting).  Didn't see the noticed for the merger (probably in this thread?), but ... TLDR.

Sorry

TLDR: Too Long, Didn't read.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

I can't see a thread for that build and the title does not mean anything to me ("Mighty" is off-putting).  Didn't see the noticed for the merger (probably in this thread?)

Its not likely going through as a build so I will most likely restart this one come December or January. I will hope to get more interest alone as Im not sure the super build was a good idea as the name comes across confusing and off-putting as you’ve pointed out. Shall I tag you when I restart it ? 

• Thanks 1