Junkers Ju.86D exterior colors ?

Hello Quick question on Junkers in general. Exterior colors in 1936-37 for the bombers particularly the Ju.86 ? What colors for RLM61 62 and 63  ? Or was it RLM66 Im getting ready to start my Ju.86 in the “They also serve” build. Ive posted this in two locations as to better canvass and possibly get an answer sooner, thanks in advance. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hi Dennis, the main cockpit and other crew area's, the U/C bays, Bomb bays, would most likely be RLM 02, 66 instrument panel and other cockpit boxes, and n/m or painted silver other area's. Will check my ref's in the morning to confirm. Regards, Pete in RI. Also check the Swedish Air Force Museum, I believe they have an '86. 

• Thanks 2

On 1/18/2020 at 5:31 PM, JWM said:

The Ju 86 preserved in Sveden has light interior as you may see it from museum  photos.

I did some quick research, and the museum's Ju-86 was produced in 1938 for Sweden as a Ju-86K-4. It was later converted by the Swedes into a transport, and was not retired from service until 1958! It was put back in bomber configuration before being put on display. I would guess that since it was manufactured by Junkers it would have had  the cockpit, wheel bays, and bomb bay in RLM02.  The dorsal gunner's position, I have no idea- could be RLM02 or aluminum? Best I can do, but it is an attractive machine, in either diesel or radial configuration!

Mike 

• Thanks 1

I decided to go with the RLM02. My build is down in the Group build area but if anyone is curious here is a link. https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235065291-condor-legion-1937/

Dennis

I would say that the museum plane is still in the transport configuration. The small windows in the fuselage sides are there and so is the raised part of the roof were the float was stowed for an emergency landing on water.

My pictures are here: https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/b-3-junkers-ju86-pa-flygvapenmuseum/

and my model: https://baecklund.eu/scalemodels/72/ju86-sekah.html

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Orso said:

Thanks for those links... Your build looks great. If I had the Radial engined version it would be a definite consider to build one like this. 

Dennis

I can tell what I use, but it Humbrol, so as you said not working in USA.

It is 98, 117 and 64 - but using some translation charts you can figure out.

Here is example

36008988890_3139c1b884_b.jpg&key=e72c3e6

Cheers

J-W

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JWM said:

It is 98, 117 and 64 - but using some translation charts you can figure out.

Thanks again J-W, I have the 64 and 98 equivalents so I'm good there. Sadly there is no equivalent to the 117 which is the one color I'm stuck on. No Gunze, Vallejo, or Ammo equivalents either ? Looks like I'm custom mixing paints for this one. 

• Like 1

If I recall correctly Humbrol 117 was intended to be the green used on U.S.AA.F. aircraft in Vietnam i.e. FS34102. Gunze H303 0r C303, MM1713, Tamiya XF58, Ammo-Mig 2 are all apparently approx. equal.

11 minutes ago, dalea said:

If I recall correctly Humbrol 117 was intended to be the green used on U.S.AA.F. aircraft in Vietnam i.e. FS34102. Gunze H303 0r C303, MM1713, Tamiya XF58, Ammo-Mig 2 are all apparently approx. equal.

Thanks that really helps ? I think i can get it at the local shop.