1/72 Type 15 RADAR set

Afternoon all..... 

Crossley Q 409 signals body is now done 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

All the markings with the exception of the roundel are hand painted, just to keep my freehanding eye in 😉

spacer.png

And in its position as the dio grows.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Sean

Edited by vindicareassassin
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2020 at 7:38 PM, Courageous said:

I have been meaning to ask, do you work from plans or from photo's?

Stuart

Always from photos mate, plans are to unreliable in their accuracy, I've been bitten way to many times with badly drawn plans from respected plan drawers when I've been making masters it's not even funny, now I no longer bother, also some on line details are not to be believed either, a typical case was this Crossley Q, all the research I did said the wheelbase was the same as a QL, upon scaling a couple of different photos it showed the wheelbase to in fact be a full 12" shorter, thats 4mm in this scale, quite a lot to be wrong by if I hadn't of checked. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Next one done minus cargo, painted to represent an old truck still doing its thing in NWE 1944.

Paint is Khaki Green 3 with a replacement wing and wheel in SCC2 Service Brown, not historically accurate but a BS33 RAF Blue interior and a faded SCC7 Canvas

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Back into the heavy scratch building again now, next up Signals Tender Type 415 on K6 chassis

Thanks for looking

Sean  

• Like 6

On 7/1/2020 at 12:17 PM, Courageous said:

Love it.

I've got my early Matador waiting some paint and am now wondering who's Khaki Green are you using?

Stuart

Mix my own mate, using Mike Starmers Tamiya colour mix with a touch of pale grey added for scale effect

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vindicareassassin said:

Mix my own mate

I thought you were going to say that...hate mixing paint. I believe that Mike played a large part in AK paints, so I'm hedging my bets on AK's Khaki Green.

Stuart

55 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I thought you were going to say that...hate mixing paint. I believe that Mike played a large part in AK paints, so I'm hedging my bets on AK's Khaki Green.

Stuart

Its to dark for models mate, even the mixes are, because they are based on original colour paint, ideal for painting a 1/1 real thing or a base on post shading but that's it, you either have to add in some buff or pale grey to lighten it, the smaller you go the lighter it needs to be, just be sure not to go over board, scale effect is quite subtle but very noticable

Suggesting a ratio is difficult as I "eye" it to be right, I'd guess that a half cup on an Airbrush I'd give it 1 brush tip of buff for 35th and 2 for 72nd,but that would only be a rough start, there's a lot of variables involved, like how you like to prime and top coat etc

• Like 1