1/72 Type 15 RADAR set

Hi all,

My current WIP in amongst my figure painting is this.....

Austin K6 Type15 RADAR dish, this will eventually end up on a base with the 2 Austin K6 Receiver and Transmitter trucks, plus another K6 with 50Kv Generator set to power it all.

For now just the dish is on the go.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking and as ever more to follow when it happens.....

ATB

Sean

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

Poured the 3 K6 chassis' I'll need to build the Transmitter, Receiver and Geny trucks this weekend, now though I need to get on with the figures I'm in the middle of painting now though for fear of getting distracted and not getting them done (Pics in the appropriate section if anyone cares).

These are a fast build, single pour kit that I've been working on so I'm not constantly just building up multi part chassis kits, ( the kits for the K6 I used to sell used to be 18 parts with a full engine, looked awesome but took for ever to build) , and I can then get on with the fun bit faster 😉

spacer.png

spacer.png

As always, more to follow

ATB

Sean

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Type 15 Radar dish on Austin K6 is now finished......

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here are the new Austin K6 quick pour 1 piece kits I've designed to speed up the process of making the K6 variants.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

These 3 will be made into the Transmitter, Receiver and Generator trucks.

Thanks for Looking

Sean

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

One piece? very impressive stuff. Nice radar dish too.

Yarp, the K6 kit I used to sell was 15+ parts in total on 5 or more sprue blocks, very detailed including full engine, carb and manifolds, separate bonnet, interior and cab..... took an age to assemble. Now I don't sell kits anymore, its just for me and working on the "3 foot rule" made this one piece kit, takes me about 10 minutes to make and then I'm on to building its back body 😉

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

With the finishing up of the dish its now on to the rest of the set...... The Transmitter, the Receiver and the Generator trucks.

Here I have finished the prep work on the 3 chassis ready for their bodies to be made. 

(I'm also still trying to find a good universal scale that's not to physically big, as I had complaints an age ago about using a penny as not everyone knows/uses the queens currency, a scale rule is difficult to see in photographs, and not everyone knows how big 1/72 scale is by just saying it in a post...... So, I figure a lighter must be fairly common world wide!?)

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Sean

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

This is interesting to follow. One question for you Sean. How do you glaze the windows on these trucks. Eons ago, I built a signals body onto the back of the Airfix K6 and glazed the windscreen with Crystal Clear, but the outcome left a lot to be desired!

John.

22 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

This is interesting to follow. One question for you Sean. How do you glaze the windows on these trucks. Eons ago, I built a signals body onto the back of the Airfix K6 and glazed the windscreen with Crystal Clear, but the outcome left a lot to be desired!

John.

It very much depends mate,

All my cabs are mastered to take a proper hinged front glass, not like the Airfix kits that you have to "insert" it which makes it easier to install, it just means I have to paint the carrier frame on afterwards, which is no biggy..... So for the cabs and if the bodies will have stuff you can see inside then I use clear plastic card, I have used the clear plastic that bought stuff comes wrapped in before too but that can be a little thick. All glued in with Windsor and Newton gloss glaze medium, this dries to a high shine and is thick enough to fill in any gaps left by my incompetance. 

If it's a body where I'm not bothering with an interior, like these as the info just isn't available, I'll either just cut a hole glaze from behind and paint if black/dark grey on the inside, or, if the body trim is quite thick just trim up where the glass would be, paint the area in dark grey and then float in gloss glaze medium over the top to represent the glass. I tend to use the latter method only on small panes though as it's less likely to look artificial. 

• Thanks 1

After a conversation with Ted Angus, some of you will know that name I'm sure, I've forced some modifications/corrections upon the dio.

I'm dropping one K6 and replacing it with a Crossley Q, in order to do this I'm modifying one of my QL chassis-cab moulds. I've used my AEC wheel hubs and grafted them into a set of my 20" tyres and fitted them to the chassis, I also cut the cab down in order to allow the new cab to be built around it. I also need to fix the body as they are a different type on both the Crossley and the K6 I now want to represent so I'm filling in the wheel arch cut outs ready to re-skin the sides.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also made a start on the Geny truck body as this is part of a group build on a farcebook page.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Sean

• Like 4

If you ever decide to sell some of your Lorry (what's the word for a one piece kit) mouldings I would be interested. Even when the picture is blown up to a good size they still look good. Can't wait to see them painted.

On 3/3/2020 at 12:10 PM, sandsmodels said:

can we buy them from you?

what was the name of the range?

nice work btw.

I never had a 'Range' as such, I produced highly detailed, often high part count, very limited run kits, 25 to 30 at the most depending on demand and mould burn-out, of totally random WW2 RAF MT based subjects that I had interest in and often had multiple variants.

Someone already owns several of my kit masters, though I've never seen them in production apart from 2 and those I directly released myself...... I've only done the 'wargame' style chassis/cab masters initially for the ease of my use, are these what you are interested in?? If so probably best to PM me directly rather than do this on open forum....

All the Best

Sean

• 5 weeks later...

The Crossley Q looks good Sean. I don't know if you are aware of them, but Albion Alloys do some very useful nickle silver wire. I have a couple of packs, 0.33mm and 0.31mm, and I think that they would be very useful for you in 1/72nd scale.

John.

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

The Crossley Q looks good Sean. I don't know if you are aware of them, but Albion Alloys do some very useful nickle silver wire. I have a couple of packs, 0.33mm and 0.31mm, and I think that they would be very useful for you in 1/72nd scale.

John.

Thanks John, I'll look into them, for some reason I've mislaid all my crafting wire and had to strip this out of electrical cable, the wife does jewellry making and it never occurred to me to look for some in her kit

• Like 1