Static cling, or help my model is a dust magnet

hsr

I am not talking about the dust a model collects sitting on the shelf. I can deal with that. My problem is that my models seem to build up a static charge while building and to suck dust out of the air. No matter how much I clean them before painting they will collect dust and hairs (I don't have a cat, but I seem to shed almost as bad as they do) just carrying them to the painting area. I have picked particles of dust off of them and watched them jump from my finger back to the model. I can chase dust all around the fuselage with a brush and it will just move from place to place but not come off. I have tried washing in water and that is a temp. fixe but it doesn't get rid of the static charge and it will just start attracting dust again.

So how do you "ground" you models so they don't attract dust?

Years ago when I had a vinyl record collection I used a Zerostat anti-static gun which seemed to do the job. For some reason they seem to be quite expensive these days. I don't know it one of those would work.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, hsr said:

$85 on Amazon. I'll have to get one.

It always felt like such a cheap thing so I've no idea why they are so expensive. Bear in mind that I've only every used them on records before I don't know if it would work on models, $85 seems a lot for an experiment. Perhaps someone knows of a cheaper alternative.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hsr said:

So how do you "ground" you models so they don't attract dust?

Look for painters tack cloths,  they are meant for this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tack_cloth

"More recent developments have been made in tack treatments that are water-soluble, allowing them to be washed from hands, tools or a surface to reduce the incidence of tack transfer from accumulated resins or to wash the tack from the cloths. They can be recycled like utility wipes. Water-soluble tack also improves antistatic performance, and offers potential for improved compatibility with water-based paints"

which maybe be worth looking into.    There must also be anti static devices available cheaper than anti stat vinyl record guns, for static critical electronic applications.

PS a google of anti static for painting comes up with this US site

http://transforming-technologies.com/product/wp6200-static-dissipative-esd-wipers/

looks they may even send a free sample?  

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Gorby said:

$85 seems a lot for an experiment. Perhaps someone knows of a cheaper alternative.

They are a little cheaper on Ebay. I just wonder how long the effect lasts.

41 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Look for painters tack cloths,  they are meant for this

I have thought about tack cloths but whenever I have used them on wood working they leave a residue on my hands and I was afraid they would do so on the model too. Also they don't prevent further dusting,

45 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

PS a google of anti static for painting comes up with this US site

http://transforming-technologies.com/product/wp6200-static-dissipative-esd-wipers/

That looks very interesting. I'll have to request a sample.

Thanks