Ju 87 d-1/3

Niknak

Hi all for this ju 87 group build, I am planing to build a ju 87 d-1/3. Using the airfix ju 87 b-2 kit and cross kitting it with the italeri ju 87 g. And possibly bits copied from the hassegawa g kit. 

2020-01-18_12-04-08

2020-01-18_12-03-51

Some of the references used will be

2020-01-18_12-03-33

• Like 7

@Niknak

I'll follow this cross-kit with interest. I am building the Bulgarian D-5 from the Italeri D-5 kit as a dual build in this STGB. At this stage, I am trying to deduce what is going on with the Italeri fuselage length. If Italeri is wrong, and consensus trends that way, then the use of the B2/R2 fuselage would be a nice solution.

What you do around the canopy might still be challenging. As I am doing a dual build with the Airfix R-2, I will be posting a pic of the Italeri D-5 canopy on the Airfix fuselage later today. You may find this of interest.

Possibly you can help me out on one thing. You show a replacement cowl and other pieces in the off-white resin, whose supply are these?

Ray

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

@Niknak

I'll follow this cross-kit with interest. I am building the Bulgarian D-5 from the Italeri D-5 kit as a dual build in this STGB. At this stage, I am trying to deduce what is going on with the Italeri fuselage length. If Italeri is wrong, and consensus trends that way, then the use of the B2/R2 fuselage would be a nice solution.

What you do around the canopy might still be challenging. As I am doing a dual build with the Airfix R-2, I will be posting a pic of the Italeri D-5 canopy on the Airfix fuselage later today. You may find this of interest.

Possibly you can help me out on one thing. You show a replacement cowl and other pieces in the off-white resin, whose supply are these?

Ray

Hi Ray, thank's Ray i'll have a look at the photo when you post it.  i have a squadron ju 87 d/g vac canopie which should fit or be made to fit. I have not tried it yet thou .the resin pieces in the bag are pieces of the italeri ju 87 g kit i copied . . i'm not sure if i'll use the spinner of the italeri kit or borrow one from a hasegawa kit. As the nose profile behind the spinner looks wrong . might be the spinner which is too small ? Rather than the nose profile?. Nick

• Like 1

Hi Nick,

Smart work on the resin. Darn, I was hoping someone had a correction set. If nothing else it could further muddy the waters. By my measurements the Italeri cowl is 5 mm longer than the Airfix cowl. See the following image. You can check this with your resin straight away. I'm using the Airfix B1 boxing but the cowl length should be the same as your B2/R2. By my methodology, where I have determined that the Italeri firewall is set back 1 mm compared to Airfix, I have a total length error of 4 mm.

I continue to research the cowl issues with the plan to amend the Italeri front end if and as required.

Ray

Stuka_Airfix_Italeri_6

Interesting project.

20 hours ago, Niknak said:

Hi all for this ju 87 group build, I am planing to build a ju 87 d-1/3. Using the airfix ju 87 b-2 kit and cross kitting it with the italeri ju 87 g. And possibly bits copied from the hassegawa g kit.

But why don't you start with the Hasegawa Ju 87D kit and using the Airfix kit parts instead. Wouldn't that be easier and most likely more accurate as the Italeri kit doesn't score well in the accuracy department.

Whatever you end up doing, enjoy your build and have fun.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Interesting project.

But why don't you start with the Hasegawa Ju 87D kit and using the Airfix kit parts instead. Wouldn't that be easier and most likely more accurate as the Italeri kit doesn't score well in the accuracy department.

Whatever you end up doing, enjoy your build and have fun.

Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter I'm starting with the italeri kit as I haven't been into the loft to find my hasegawa ju 87. Course I'm too lazy. 😁

Hi Ray the d was slightly longer at 11.10 m  were as the b was 11.m long if my references are correct Here is the d nose taped onto the airfix fuselarge  placed over the kagero drawings. Nick

2020-01-19_10-56-32

Edited by Niknak
  • Like 2

Hi Nick,

You have done for me just what I needed. A big thank you. 

If I go with Kagero then I will definitely shorten the Italeri fuselage length by matching Airfix. Also that D/G top cowl does extend a little longer, I'm guessing a millimetre or two but not the 5 mm difference to the Airfix B cowl. A little bit of work on the cowl and all will be good. 

Thanks again and good luck with your build. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, as my eduard bf 109 g- 6's are about finished I'll start my ju 87. 

I have found out the kagero ju 87 d plans are wrong the length of the aircraft by their plans is 38 ft long where as it should be 36 ft long.i think this because kagero in their ju 87 d/g vol 1 on page 68 they have the length at 11.5 m not 11.1m . So I'll be double checking the rest of their measurements against the 1/72 drawings in the classic publications ju 87 book. 

I have tried the hasegawa nose on the airfix fuselarge s as sergested by basilisk, and found the oil cooler is a scale foot to shallow but the length is correct. If I use the hasegawa nose I'll have to mate the italieri oil cooler to the hasegawa nose. Or   shorten and reprofile the italeri nose which should be easier as Ray did with his d - 5 build. 

2020-02-15_02-00-41

I have cut 4mm of the rear of the copy of the italeri nose to get the length of the aircraft 36 ft. And started to reprofile the forward nose. I will have to narrow the rear of the nose to match the airfix fuselarge by about. 5 mm. The way I'll do this is by cutting a long the centre of the top and oil cooler and glue them together. 

2020-02-14_07-42-36

And I have started to paint the Aires cockpit and parts of the airfix cockpit. I extended the cockpit sill of the Aires side walls using resin. I spayed a black under coat before a coat of rlm 66.

2020-02-14_07-41-56

2020-02-14_08-27-22

2020-02-15_02-01-23

Thank you for looking. Nick

Edited by Niknak
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Cockpit looks great, but I still don't get it. Why don't you use the Hasegawa kit and just the Airfix undercarriage? Wouldn't that be much easier.

Cheers, Peter

Hi peter, the main reason is .The hasegawa fuselarge  is not deep enough against the drawings were as  the airfix fuselarge measures out ok, also the hasegawa oil cooler is a scale foot to shallow .and as it will be next to the airfix ju 87 b-2 i did in the mt0 gb 2018 the differance will show up . also the d-1/3 had the short span wing were as the hasegawa ju 87 g has the long span wing.I think it's easier to change the nose and cockpit canopie. and add the underwing radiators , and modify the tail surports.. Nick

Edited by Niknak
  • Like 2

Hi all, a short update on the build. I have refitted the intakes, exhaust frame and the bumps to the cowling, it's ready for the undercoat to show where it needs reworked. Also I have used a plastic card fillet to start the modification of the tail surports to the soild version used on the d/g. 

2020-02-23_05-06-25

2020-02-23_05-06-04

The plastic card fillets were then covered with liquid plastic. When it's dried fully will be sanded to shape

2020-02-15_02-02-01

And finally for this update.I have reached the point of no return by cutting out the position for the quickboost  radiators on the lower wing by using masking tape smaller than the temples provided with the radiators. To allow for minor adjustment. Then chain drilled then finished off with a knife. Ready for painting and fitting.

2020-02-23_05-06-54

Thank's for looking. Nick

Edited by Niknak
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Nick, Fun project! Enjoying it. Don't you love that point of no return? Ray

Hi Ray, glade you are enjoying the build. Yip I'm at the point were i find out I have them in the wrong place😄. Now the question is are thay rlm 02, 66, or rlm 76 like the ju 87 g in Hendon?. Nick

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Niknak said:

Now the question is are thay rlm 02, 66, or rlm 76 like the ju 87 g in Hendon?.

Or all of the above. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, after more sanding and filling, I have fitted the underwing radiators, these were tacked in place with super glue. Then liquid plastic was used to fix them in place from the inside of the wing. This also filled any gaps around them. I then sprayed them oily steel to check the seams as this would also be the base coat of the radiator faces. I went for rlm 02 for the interior of the wing were the radiators sit the faces were then giving a wash of matt black. 

2020-03-05_02-19-46

Then back too the nose. After thinning down the oil cooler lips and extending the cowling further back using strips of plastic card. the copied kit part did not fit without a gap around it. So I made a new one cut from the rear of the airfix 's b radiator. It's got two strips down the face which weren't on the d' s oilcooler. One should be covered when I fit the shutters. The other I can live with as the fits a lot better. 

2020-03-04_07-04-26

I then removed the oilcooler then sprayed rlm 65 onto the lower surface and the internal surface of the oilcooler  housing

2020-03-05_02-55-23

As most of the airframe modifications have been completed. I have started to fit the Aires cockpit. As  this is not intended for this kit a bit of fettling will be required.To the airies and kit parts.

After removing the detail on the airfix fuselarge parts.  The  Aires sides were modified by cutting away part of the pilots cockpit were they fowled the kit wing spars.you can see were i removed the sides in the photo, i also shortened them by about 2 mm from the rear to allow the cockpit floor to fit. And the front of them so the instrment panel can be fitted. Then they were glued to the kit parts. I have not fitted the etched brass to them yet as they will probably get broken off. I am going to use airfix's parts for the cockpit floor window and bulk heads. 

2020-03-05_02-20-01

The kit floor was changed to resemble the d's floor. I had to cut it into two parts to remove the full width block directly behind the rear wing spar to replace it with the shorter one from the Aires cockpit floor. This was removed using a dremel to grinding away the excess resin then glued to the kit part using super glue. Also the footstep was also fitted to the kit part. The representation of the corigations were removed from the kit floor and the location holes for the kit side walls were also ruffly filled with plastic card as they won't be seen as the side wall frame will hid them. When test fitting the gunners/radio opps floor I found that it sat too low for the cockpit sides to join up, so I cut about 2-3 mm from the top of the rear bulk head. The pilots cockpit floor was modified by removing some of the frames on top of the wing spar so the Aires cockpit sides frames will match the kit floor. 

2020-03-05_02-20-17

2020-03-05_02-20-38

When I test fitted the cockpit I also tried the radios and I found out they were too tall and too narrow. The roll over guard was about 2mm above the cockpit sill. I solved this by removing 2mm from the base of the radios. I think I will find the roll over guard will need to be made bigger when I try on the canopie. As for the width I will use plastic card down both sides so the bulkhead reaches across the width the cockpit. Nick

Edited by Niknak
  • Like 3

On 2/20/2020 at 2:47 AM, Niknak said:

Hi peter, the main reason is .The hasegawa fuselarge  is not deep enough against the drawings were as  the airfix fuselarge measures out ok, also the hasegawa oil cooler is a scale foot to shallow .and as it will be next to the airfix ju 87 b-2 i did in the mt0 gb 2018 the differance will show up . also the d-1/3 had the short span wing were as the hasegawa ju 87 g has the long span wing.I think it's easier to change the nose and cockpit canopie. and add the underwing radiators , and modify the tail surports.. Nick

Sounds like a good reason.

And some great progress in your quest to turn the Airfix kit in a D-1 :clap2:

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Sounds like a good reason.

And some great progress in your quest to turn the Airfix kit in a D-1 :clap2:

Cheers, Peter

Thank you. Peter. It's finding the time to continue with it the last few weeks. Going to have to decide on the marking for it soon.eather 4.stg77 or 

5.stg 2. Or a white washed aircraft desisions, desisions. Nick

2020-03-08_02-11-02

• Like 1

Hi Nick,

And I thought I had it tough. You have certainly taken on a challenging build.

That's a great photo of a Stuka in the mud. I'm certain this is the reason why the wheel spats were removed from the Bulgarian D-5's. It gives me a great spray pattern for the weathering.

Ray

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Nick,

And I thought I had it tough. You have certainly taken on a challenging build.

That's a great photo of a Stuka in the mud. I'm certain this is the reason why the wheel spats were removed from the Bulgarian D-5's. It gives me a great spray pattern for the weathering.

Ray

Hi Ray , yip with the spats removed they got dirty . the photo is in junkers ju 87 stuka.part 2 by manfred griehl. It has some nice photos if operational ju 87. Its also in classic publications ju 87. Book. Nick

16 minutes ago, Niknak said:

It has some nice photos if operational ju 87. Its also in classic publications ju 87. Book

Nick, you must have a veritable library on the Stuka! 😄 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

Nick, you must have a veritable library on the Stuka! 😄 

Hi Ray,I have a few books just ask the wife. 😄

• Haha 1

Hi all, I have finished doing the oil cooler front. I painted it oily steel then I gave it a couple of washes of black. It will be glued into place after I have made the 3 shutters and matt varnished the inside of the oil cooler housing

2020-03-08_01-55-55

Also I have been on with the cockpit. I removed the airfix kits rudder peddles and replaced them with etched brass ones of the type used on the d series. The support which was removed with the peddles was replaced using streched sprue.i drilled a hole in the top of the insterment pannel to locate the gun/bomb sight when I fit it later

2020-03-11_10-25-28

The pilots floor window has been fitted. The side walls have had there control levers fitted. 

2020-03-11_10-25-14

The seats will be fitted after I have painted the seat belts. 

The landing light has been fitted after a bit of fettling. and the wings have been glued together as per the airfix instructions except for opening the location holes for the b's underwing bomb racks. I had the same issue with the join of the lower port wing where the undercarriage fair ring meets the outer wing. As I did last time I built airfix's ju 87 b-2. The cover that covers the bomb rack is 10 " plastic card. 

2020-03-11_10-24-33

Thanks. Nick

Edited by Niknak
  • Like 1

Hi all, I have been finishing off the cockpit.I used the etch brass seat belts, the shoulder straps looked too short. So I put them lower down the seat and used panted cigerette paper too extend them through the head armour. I have not glued the rear ammunition boxes in place for the rear gun position as I am planning to fit them as a completed unit with the mg 81 z. 

2020-03-14_05-47-20

2020-03-14_05-47-03

The fuselarge has been glued together. Without any major issues, the direction finding unit has been fitted. I was going to drill a hole into the kit fuselarge then fit the aries part, but was not sure how much would be needed to be removed from the kit rear bulkhead.

But thought it would be easer to remove the area of the fuselarge and use the part out of the italieri kit.i could have been wrong 🤔. The italieri part is narrower. I used plastic card an liquid plastic to bulk out the italieri part. After it had dried I sanded it to match  the airfix fuselarge. Thank for looking. Nick

2020-03-15_04-04-36

Edited by Niknak
  • Like 2

Hi all, I have finally started to get the air frame together. Wings and tail have been joined to the fuselarge. I had a issue with the wings joining to the fuselarge. I think it was the pilots floor window fouling the wings.a light coat of rlm 02 was used to check the joints   And a slight gap on the wing joints was found. 

2020-03-18_04-57-25

2020-03-18_05-14-33

The modified tail suports were used to aline the horizontal tail surfaces

2020-03-18_06-08-24

With the nose taped onto the fuselage it looks looks this. There's Still a lot of work to do. 

2020-03-18_04-58-14

Thank you for looking. Nick

Edited by Niknak
  • Like 2

Hi all another update. I have been on with the oilcooler again and hopefully it's finished apart from the activation bar across the front of the looves  the looves were made from 5" plastic card

2020-03-23_04-57-24

The pilots window has been shortened and the lower fuselarge has been extended so it joins onto the rear of the oilcooler using two strips of 30" plastic card

2020-03-23_04-57-04

I have done a bit more of the cockpit by modifying the mg 81z magazines hight and the width of the roll over bar. ( I will have to do this again now I'm not using the vac canopie. I have decided to use brass barrels on the mg 81z 

2020-03-23_04-58-32

Also the wing racks have been fitted. I was going to use the italeri ones but looking at photos they looked to short. So I borrowed A hasegawa set from a mate. (thanks BILL). And copied them. 

2020-03-23_04-58-49

I was going to use squadron's vac form canopie but.. The windscreen was too big for the fuselarge... Which left two options. 1,make a former and then vac form a replacement . 2, use the italeri one and modify it.  I have gone with using the italeri one. As the windscreen is molded with part of the fuselarge. I had too  either cut the conopie away from the molded on fuselarge or cut down the airfix fuselarge. I went with the second option as I have only 1 italeri conopie. And I can finish off the line of the uper nose

2020-03-23_04-58-14

The canopie was tacked on with super glue then liquid plastic was used as a filler

2020-03-23_04-56-45

Then sanded to blend the windscreen into the fuselarge. 

2020-03-23_04-56-30

Thank you for looking comments welcomed. Nick

Edited by Niknak
  • Like 2