Saab JAS-39 C Gripen - Revell 1:72 ++FINISHED++

IanHx

Nice!!! :thumbsup:

I found it in the gallery before I saw this, well done on completing her, and i agree she looks so much better with her claws!!! :thumbsup:

I'm a huge fan of 211Sq and have some stuff from them. One of these days I may even finish my 1/48th Best Choice (Italeri kit with full resin) models in 211Sq colours......though they are really horrible models!

Thanks for joining use, was great to follow the build, I hope you enjoyed it..... and again well done on an awesome looking model!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Nice!!! :thumbsup:

I found it in the gallery before I saw this, well done on completing her, and i agree she looks so much better with her claws!!! :thumbsup:

I'm a huge fan of 211Sq and have some stuff from them. One of these days I may even finish my 1/48th Best Choice (Italeri kit with full resin) models in 211Sq colours......though they are really horrible models!

Thanks for joining use, was great to follow the build, I hope you enjoyed it..... and again well done on an awesome looking model!

Thanks,  and thank you for holding a group build with timescales long enough for me to finish something  :)

The main things I've learned from this build are that those smallest of fine-pointed Pixnor tweezers are very sharp, and

to test out paint colours on something other than the model being built !

• Haha 2

@IanHx Great Work!
You are an Inspiration to me.

Mind if I pick your brain over one issue though? In the instruction step 25 shows a hole to be drilled in the rear part of the fuselage. It also shows two alternate positions for this hole. Do you know what it is for and what the diffrence between those two positions is? 

4 hours ago, Marcin Kaminski said:

@IanHx Great Work!
You are an Inspiration to me.

Mind if I pick your brain over one issue though? In the instruction step 25 shows a hole to be drilled in the rear part of the fuselage. It also shows two alternate positions for this hole. Do you know what it is for and what the diffrence between those two positions is? 

Thanks !

Thats a good question - not sure, probably for the aerial that goes on the underside near the rear.

Didn't drill a hole, just sanded bottom of aerial flush , googled a few pictures to see if they could guide me ( inconclusive) and then went with whichever spot was easiest to attach it to !  (furthest aft, behind the wing trailing edge)

I'm guessing that Czech and Swedish Gripens have this aerial in different places, but don't know which way round.  If I had to guess why, I'd say it was to do with different electronics packages on the export aircraft.

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 1

One thing I would say- if I had to build the kit again, I'd make sure I put the decals on the sides of the pylons on BEFORE attaching any stores - right fiddly to get them in place once the fuel tanks have gone on !

The one thing I did do that worked out well was applying the decals on the missiles to the obscured side before attaching missile to pylon. Much easier !  Didn't want to risk applying the decals on the visible side until after glued in place , just in case I was a little heavy handed with glue application....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marcin Kaminski said:

In the instruction step 25 shows a hole to be drilled in the rear part of the fuselage. It also shows two alternate positions for this hole. Do you know what it is for and what the diffrence between those two positions is? 

As Ian says, check photo's of the aircraft you're building. The hole is for the large blade aerial part B65. Revell show two different positions in the instructions and also mould a hole on the centreline level with the offste hole in the diagram. This centreline position is correct for my  ETPS Gripen