right angle hobby knife?

busnproplinerfan

15 minutes ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

How would one cut with that? Sounds more like a punch and die affair to me. So - nothing I'd know of.

I think I saw something like it for clay carving. I want to cut sideways in a narrow cavity in mold rubber.

How about these?  The centre group have V and crescent (spoon) shape cutting edges.  The two V blades, 6th and 7th from the right, are good for cutting flow channels in casting moulds.

I believe they can be obtained at Michael's, or equivalent and are quite cheap.  In UK, I think they are available in The Works.

spacer.png

These are my 'go to' tools for scratchbuilding.  The models under construction in the background are to 1:144 scale, with a 1:350 scale Sea Vixen tucked in there as well.

Mike

• Like 4

Thanks, these would but I have to get into a small narrow "valley" in the mold rubber and cut horizontally. I was thinking of taking a strip of metal and bending a right angle about a half inch or so long on the flat edge and sharpening the edge.

For a similar scraping problem in a narrow space I used an old Excel No. 11 blade. Heat it with a pen torch, bend the 2-3 mm of the tip 90° with small pliers, then dunk in oil. I needed the back of the blade and not the edge, but it should remain sharp long enough for your cut.

Cheers,

Vedran

4 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

For a similar scraping problem in a narrow space I used an old Excel No. 11 blade. Heat it with a pen torch, bend the 2-3 mm of the tip 90° with small pliers, then dunk in oil. I needed the back of the blade and not the edge, but it should remain sharp long enough for your cut.

Cheers,

Vedran

I didn't know you could bend those blades. I guess if you heat it, you take the temper out of it. Like the idea. I'll ask one of the mechanics at work for a pen torch or something similar. Thanks.

On 1/21/2020 at 8:40 AM, dragonlanceHR said:

Cheers,

Vedran

Hi Vedran, I tried you idea and it worked, to easy. Actually, the mechanic at work who did the work for me was from Yugoslavia way back. He's going to retire this year and move back to Croatia.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 5:41 PM, bootneck said:

How about these?  The centre group have V and crescent (spoon) shape cutting edges.  The two V blades, 6th and 7th from the right, are good for cutting flow channels in casting moulds.

I believe they can be obtained at Michael's, or equivalent and are quite cheap.  In UK, I think they are available in The Works.

spacer.png

These are my 'go to' tools for scratchbuilding.  The models under construction in the background are to 1:144 scale, with a 1:350 scale Sea Vixen tucked in there as well.

Mike

May I ask where you got the razor saw? I have about 3 and they are all too thick for the task in hand (I want to separate the doors and boot, with their curved edges, from a 1:24 Mini).

Apologies for the thread hijack! :)

14 minutes ago, Kirk said:

May I ask where you got the razor saw? I have about 3 and they are all too thick for the task in hand (I want to separate the doors and boot, with their curved edges, from a 1:24 Mini).

CMK saw blades are available on-line from various sites. Ebay has them.

I mounted one of mine in a large Xacto handle. Works pretty good. 

40600300012_597a5b5b41_b.jpg

I also put a piece of a broken blade in pin vise handle. It has it's uses too.

26937529567_af6be4688a_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kirk said:

You can get them in UK from Paul at Little Cars.  He also carries spare blades and mitre blocks.

Mike

• Thanks 1